Patterdale X Greyhound

My young lad has been pestering me for a running dog for a while so I said I would get him something small ...he has proved to me that he is ready after seeing him work his spaniel .

I have been looking to breed my bitch fly and many thanks to all the lads that have offered me there dogs as service ...I was going to do it this year or early next year but I have no need for another big dog I have fly that is 4 and MOrphie who's 2 .

So now comes the eureka moment I had ......fly is definitely worth taking pups from she has it all drive ,wind,pace just a good honest well bred bitch that makes it look easy ...I have a patt that again I would breed from a well bred leggy rough coated dog that is very biddable and trainable one of the best terriers I have owned not just for digging but he is used beating ,shooting wildfowling just a handy little tyke to have around you ...he has seen plenty of work and is near retired at 3 1/2 .....so I'm going to take a chance on putting these 2 together it may work it may not but nothing ventured nothing gained at least my young lad will get his dog and I will know exactly where it's came from ...I'm sure the lads that know the parents will be interested how this goes and anyone else interested give me a shout

what way is fly bred Mik ?

• 1 month later...

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You've a million times more chance of getting a working Patt then a Bull,Wheaton,Irish or Bedlington and that's a FACT!! We have some Patts,fearless,granite,mute,no reverse EVER and great amongst kids

My young lad has been pestering me for a running dog for a while so I said I would get him something small ...he has proved to me that he is ready after seeing him work his spaniel . I have been look

Ive talked a lot with Bosun, about adding working terrier blood when I breed my small bitch in a year or two. This thread has gone off comparing bull type to earthdog blood. I dont really understand w

Posted Images

i bred a litter of working terrier x greyhound. many years ago. 1989/90. the sire was a well worked terrier off linebred patts brightmore based stock. the greyhound was a natural fox killer. (like most greyhounds tend to be given chance) and was used for coursing and on the lamp. there was 7 in the litter 6 dogs and 1 bitch. i tried to get them to working homes by putting a letter in the shooting news/countrymans weekly. looking for folk with the work for them. three pups never made two due to a liking for mutton. two went to wales. a dog and a bitch. the dog was still trying to catch with his feet at around two years old and the bitch showed real promise from an early age but was hit by a car at just over a year. i put a pic of the bitch up on here with her sire a while back. but cant find it now. one pup went to essex and was returned at around 10 months old by a so called dogman with experience.......... it wasnt broke to stock it wasnt even feckin leash trained.. :bad: . i have a couple of regrets the first is that i never used an extremely hard natured beddy whippet that i had at the time and the second is that there wasnt a second cross from the litter. however i learned a few things that have stood me in good stead. sadly it was more about the dog folk than the dogs :thumbs:

the litter size ranged from 19 inch (bitch) to 25.

i wouldnt write this cross off but am inclined to think that a small terrier is a better base for small pot filler type lurchers. :thumbs:

• Like 2

It's was tried I n my area over 20 year ago.

I had a pup out litter but died when was about 6 months old.

my dad got it far a mate when I was young teenager.

As would be a nice wee bushing ferreter type mutt.

Wouldn't be much use for nowt else.

Nothing good Come out the litter.

I don't see what putting a 12 inch yappy dog over a greyhound is going bring to a lucher.

• Like 3

It's was tried I n my area over 20 year ago.

I had a pup out litter but died when was about 6 months old.

my dad got it far a mate when I was young teenager.

As would be a nice wee bushing ferreter type mutt.

Wouldn't be much use for nowt else.

Nothing good Come out the litter.

I don't see what putting a 12 inch yappy dog over a greyhound is going bring to a lucher.

nobody is thinking about yappy terriers. a good patt is anything but a yappy terrier. the dog i used generally had to much fur in its mouth to yap.

• Like 3
  • 5 years later...
On 14/11/2015 at 22:53, MIK said:

My young lad has been pestering me for a running dog for a while so I said I would get him something small ...he has proved to me that he is ready after seeing him work his spaniel .

I have been looking to breed my bitch fly and many thanks to all the lads that have offered me there dogs as service ...I was going to do it this year or early next year but I have no need for another big dog I have fly that is 4 and MOrphie who's 2 .

So now comes the eureka moment I had ......fly is definitely worth taking pups from she has it all drive ,wind,pace just a good honest well bred bitch that makes it look easy ...I have a patt that again I would breed from a well bred leggy rough coated dog that is very biddable and trainable one of the best terriers I have owned not just for digging but he is used beating ,shooting wildfowling just a handy little tyke to have around you ...he has seen plenty of work and is near retired at 3 1/2 .....so I'm going to take a chance on putting these 2 together it may work it may not but nothing ventured nothing gained at least my young lad will get his dog and I will know exactly where it's came from ...I'm sure the lads that know the parents will be interested how this goes and anyone else interested give me a shout

I know this is an old thread but did this ever happen/how did they turn out?