One more time, any camera that you finally decide to get is just a box, super megapixels or not are nothing without a good lens. You will need a tripod for the kind of photography you want to do so weight will also be an issue . Just go to a good Reputable Camera Shop ask to look at a range of cameras in you budget range and a halfway decent lens. Take your time and go from there.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Canon DSLR but nowt fancy,cheap lens but does for me..all on manual settings,just trial & error with me lol          

When you see them guys behind the goals at premier football matches with compacts fitted to them big f**k off lenses that the time to get one

I have an ancient Nikon D300,....I believe it could be a good tool,....in the right hands..   To be honest, I have realy tried to understand the basic rules of photography..   The reason for F.Sto

Posted Images

Just go to a good Reputable Camera Shop ask to look at a range of cameras in you budget range and a halfway decent lens. Take your time and go from there.

You'd be lucky to find a camera shop round here. The internet has shut most of them down.

• Like 1

:hmm:I have an ancient Nikon D300,....I believe it could be a good tool,....in the right hands..

To be honest, I have realy tried to understand the basic rules of photography..

The reason for F.Stops, ISO...etc,...but,.. I just cannot do it...

Always been the same,....no mental stamina,...kinda mental block thing... :blink:

Worst thing,... is when I travel to a distant area,. lads put the game in front of me, almost every time, I feck up... :censored:

I know some canny lads rate using the Manual setting,..but,...in truth,... I've given up on that job....

In the future I'll be looking for an amateur's camera with all the various AUTO modes on offer.. :yes:

• Like 3

My basic understanding is set the Iso the lower the less noise in pics I tend to use iso 100 on bright outdoors or 200

800-1600 in lower light like indoors

Or with flash Iso 100

The higher the Iso the more you can use in lower light but will affect image quality

Depends on the camera to the amount of high iso it can handle

The f stop basically the lower the number the bigger the opening on the shutter so 1.8 a big hole lets lots of light in so a slower shutter speed can be used

The higher f stop the slower the shutter speed as let's less light in as its a much tighter hole

So say f11 in low light with a fast speed won't produce anything good

If in doubt use aputure priority mode will set shutter speed for you to suit f stop selected

Higher f stops will produce more detail but will get motion blur in moving subjects because the shutter needs to open longer

But does have good uses like night photography at say f22 with 30 second shutter speed on a motorway bridge at night will give you great streaks from car lights

Or on waterfalls to get the water blur but that probably only couple of seconds as its a bright day

This just the basics really then it goes to focus modes, points , focus area panning freezing motion etc it's a complete mind field

I would buy 2nd hand as in no time when you get the basics you will find you want to do more than your camera allows so time to upgrade I'm happy with my d7000 for now and my many lenses but it changes all the time I personally wouldn't buy the best entry level dslr just buy a cheap body get the bug then shop from there

Just my opinion

For action shots i use shutter priority, the camera then sets the aperture for the light available. A good lens is very important for action shots especially in poor or low light. I use a 2.8 or less. Practice is the thing, put plenty time in playing around, thats how you learn like anything else.

Not the best pics but still trying. These were a while ago, learned a little bit more since then.

d370-200017_zps3ce61cd4.jpg

d370-200025_zpsf68bef46.jpg

k064_zpsf327ed9f.jpg

ss024_zps8d3e53e3.jpg

ss036_zpsdbd035c0.jpg

d370-200026_zps0c84ca9d.jpg

:hmm:I have an ancient Nikon D300,....I believe it could be a good tool,....in the right hands..

To be honest, I have realy tried to understand the basic rules of photography..

The reason for F.Stops, ISO...etc,...but,.. I just cannot do it...

Always been the same,....no mental stamina,...kinda mental block thing... :blink:

Worst thing,... is when I travel to a distant area,. lads put the game in front of me, almost every time, I feck up... :censored:

I know some canny lads rate using the Manual setting,..but,...in truth,... I've given up on that job....

In the future I'll be looking for an amateur's camera with all the various AUTO modes on offer.. :yes:

They are a quality camera, the 300 was high spec in its day. I have one and a d700, i think a d300 is a great buy, cheap as chips off ebay and with a good lens will take fantastic pics. I am just learning, watch loads of tutorials on youtube, it is a minefield then it starts to come together and you begin to understand what is happening and why and then you get to a stage were you can alter things yourself to good effect. Personally i can't see the point of buying a dslr to use it on auto. Just my own opinion but i would try and master aperture priority or shutter priority then hopefully progress onto full manual. ATB.

• Like 1