A Way To Repair A Broken Switch On Ferret Finder

I was repairing a couple of ferret finder switches as i have done before with good success. I thought i would take a few pics as i went along. The switches on the deben grey boxes are not the best, i have had a few break on me over the years. The hard plastic switch drive can break causing the switch not to work. I found it impossible to get replacement switches so i fix them myself. First of all i get a bit of metal about 2mm think. I draw on the diameter using a compass or dividers if you have them. A pound coin is just slightly bigger but would be good enough to mark around. I used a piece of brass and a piece of stainless steel. I marked on diameter, roughed it out with a hacksaw then filed it until it fit nicely into the inside of the switch. I then marked the drive on and drilled and filed it out using needle files. I then opened the middle of the switch out with a drill. Next step was to araldite the flat plate into the switch. Leave over night to harden. I then made a couple of very thin big washers, i used the battery spade connections out of a old torch. As you are putting 2mm sheet behind the switch you need to widen the slot on the grey box, i used flat and round files. If the depth marks are still good on the switch you can place the drive in the correct position as you araldite it in. To do this place the drive on the switch assembly in the off position and mark with a black marker. As the depth gages on mine were worn i bought replacements off ebay. You just need to assemble and then put on the sticker in the correct off position. There may be other ways of doing this, but this is what i do, after it is finished it should never be a problem again. Hope you can understand my waffling.

DSC_0740_zpsgi54hfad.jpg

DSC_0741_zpsssgcgabj.jpg

DSC_0743_zpswonv9u2i.jpg

Put araldite in switch and push plate in, leave over night to harden.

DSC_0744_zpsgzdmqais.jpg

DSC_0745_zpsphzaf66e.jpg

Slot marked to widen

DSC_0750_zpsgxypsbui.jpg

set switch on drive and screw down with washer you have made

DSC_0751_zpsvglr6udb.jpg

Stick on new depth sticker.

DSC_0752_zpsq9v4k1nu.jpg

DSC_0753_zpsoifhk0iy.jpg

DSC_0755_zps90te29ts.jpg

DSC_0756_zpsb0alw2n7.jpg

• Like 4

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was repairing a couple of ferret finder switches as i have done before with good success. I thought i would take a few pics as i went along. The switches on the deben grey boxes are not the best, i

The washer  

The little screw is 10ba thread mostly used in electrical gear.   Cheer Arry

Good fix mate thanks for sharing with us.

Does anybody have or know where I can get the trimer resistor that has 100 written on it. it is a adjustable resistor there are 2 on the board and are different values, these adjust the distance but it is tricky.

Cheers Arry