Talpex Convert

Did a mole job last week that was causing me a bit of frustration

Was getting duffus traps sprung with muck

I was carrying some talpex traps that a good friend gave me to try

Set two.... As per darcy with a ball of muck under the trigger

As per lloydy - set the triggers very fine

Caught a mole in each

I went through a bad patch with them. I'd done OK at first then seemed to lose the knack. Thankfully Mr. Darcy gave me some really good advice and now its almost every one a coconut. Thanks JD :thumbs:

My own view is that it all depends on the soil and conditions. In some areas a monkey could catch using them, whereas in other situations it needs a bit of creativity.

• Like 2

I revisited these again recently, more out of annoyance at myself not being able to catch with them more than anything else.

No good! Still can't catch with them, tried the ball, no ball, partial fill, complete fill.

They've now gon back to the shed to be used for holding dust clothes etc to scaffolding when needed, think that's probably what they are really for if the truth be known.

• Like 1

I revisited these again recently, more out of annoyance at myself not being able to catch with them more than anything else.

No good! Still can't catch with them, tried the ball, no ball, partial fill, complete fill.

They've now gon back to the shed to be used for holding dust clothes etc to scaffolding when needed, think that's probably what they are really for if the truth be known.

sell the buggers to me!

Whats happening buddy? Are they being triggered off?

Or nothing in them?

By placing a tube or ball across floor of the tunnel, below the trigger plate,the mole comes up against it and by trying to dig his way through the tube,ball or small mound you've placed he sets the plate off,,a bit of advice though theres plenty of talpex copies out there,they are not strong enough to drive the jaws through the soil,,learnt by mistake I bought a load only to find they had been set off but no mole,all the hard work for nowt .I have binned them ,now I will only use genuine talpex and I get them from chris boone.ive just done a ploughed field and had a good few from talpex as well as barrel traps..genuine talpex traps will have the name stamped on the trigger plate..far stronger..

• Like 1

I also use the trapline gopher trap,another great little trap ,only drawback is you need a pair in every two way tube one to the left and other to the right,and they are not visible from above ground,great trap if you are working playing fields or footpaths where theres people about,but nice and light to carry,as I said you physically got to go back into the tube to see if you've caught,i normally use a metal tent skewer to hold the trap down as well,if not held down the mole could drag it back down the tube or a fox or cat could take the mole and trap.if you haven't killed it instantly,ive had moles come over the top of one ive caught gone along the tube and got caught in the other trap by the back end..these are great traps especially when you've broken into a three way split tunnel as well..yes folks yet another trap to carry but they are always in my backpack...