Engels .9 Poly

I read a few weeks ago some lads on here knitting .9 Engles poly double strand. Thought i would make a purse net that way and see how it knit. Anyway looks ok, what i was thinking is if i was to knit a long net/stop net like that there would be no need to knit a selvedge on. I know it is better knit on afterwards as it lays different but is it worth the effort when it is double strand anyway ?.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

some of the members like to make nets and show what they done.some are just learning to knit and like the advice and for others it's about being able to make a net and then catch with it, there are al

if your going to all the trouble of hand knitting a net with engels twine you should finish it with a salvage.   it will be a fine net

I read a few weeks ago some lads on here knitting .9 Engles poly double strand. Thought i would make a purse net that way and see how it knit. Anyway looks ok, what i was thinking is if i was to knit a long net/stop net like that there would be no need to knit a selvedge on. I know it is better knit on afterwards as it lays different but is it worth the effort when it is double strand anyway ?.

The .9mm is fine to knit single stranded. I knitted a little stopnet from a .9mm sample spool direct from the manufacturer of the Egels twine. I would second what smithie has said and knit a selvage mesh, i would opt for a single strand from the 1.2 or even the 1.4 as the net hangs very well with the single heavier selvage.

I have knit short nets and stop nets with the single strand .9. I put a selvedge on double strand. I just read the other week that some lads thought the single strand was a little weak and had burst on more than one occasion. I therefore tried it double through interest with the purse which i have not used yet. For knitting single i like the 1.1 best in brown and if i was buying more that is what i would get, i would then put a double strand selvedge on.

I have knit short nets and stop nets with the single strand .9. I put a selvedge on double strand. I just read the other week that some lads thought the single strand was a little weak and had burst on more than one occasion. I therefore tried it double through interest with the purse which i have not used yet. For knitting single i like the 1.1 best in brown and if i was buying more that is what i would get, i would then put a double strand selvedge on.

Ive had a few rabbits hit this net while ferreting and no bust meshes as of yet. Cant comment on rabbits being left in on a night drop kicking with their feet and having a munch. thats why i like 4z for night work, cheap to replace. I'm tired of mending holes in nets :laugh:

• Like 3

I should think it would, pity you can't get it over here yet but i think Nelson is working on that.

Ive had a few rabbits hit this net while ferreting and no bust meshes as of yet. Cant comment on rabbits being left in on a night drop kicking with their feet and having a munch. thats why i like 4z for night work, cheap to replace. I'm tired of mending holes in nets :laugh:
to be honest I don't remember catching by the toes on a single strand 4z net but often find the net balled up around the leg with the rabbit kicking after its head has gone through the mesh (I'm assuming). with double knitting engles Mr wilks and I have had rabbits caught bye toes alone.

as for night time netting... if you leave the rabbit in any net long enough and the heads not through the mesh it's got to have net in font of its face and it's going to chew. don't matter if it's made from engels, sheet netting or washing line.

I also like the value of the sheet net as it's in the bin and get some more. I'm not for knitting.

Edited by smithie
  • Like 3

Makes a nice purse net double strand.

DSC_0739_zpsakap0s26.jpg

double stranded serves a purpose in longnets i.e. to tangle the quarry,a purse net closes around the captured quarry so IMHO I'd be using a heavier twine on the purse net and save the double stranded for stop/longnets

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...