Hard Mouth On A Dog.

This has not been done for a while, how many of you will tolerate a hard mouthed dog? Personally I think next to stock worrying it is the worst fault a dog can have. I know some will tolerate it as I have seen in photos of dogs retrieving dead rabbits.

I am not knocking any breed here as every dog has the potential to be hard mouthed. Your thoughts please.

TC

i think from having lurchers 30 years ,and seen fair few differnt xs over the years , it all down to being a good retevier . meaning just watch retevier ,they will strike get the rabbit, get one nice hold and lift and bring back, now watch another dog that not great retevier they strike grab the rabbit, then fook about with therehold on it , so there mouthing the rabbit, bloody marks all over, or the rabbit will kick to try and get way, so it down to being good clean retevier i think. some dogs when pused on a hard/long night, will kill rabbits when tired as well, so some ways it pays to know when the time to call it night.

• Like 2

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive had nice soft mouthed retrievers, in the past. Now I’ve the worm has turned lol. I enjoy the dog working and the meats a by-product for me these days. To compare to stock worrying is a bit ove

My dogs will do everything and retrieve rabbits live to hand ... I have to have dogs that retrieve live to hand as when you are working in people's gardens and in public areas the majority of people w

I tried the old walk away from mine on lamp after about two fields and a bit of cat and mouse. I stop he stops type thing he came with in a couple of yards. Tried a second time again walked nearly bac

Posted Images

This has not been done for a while, how many of you will tolerate a hard mouthed dog? Personally I think next to stock worrying it is the worst fault a dog can have. I know some will tolerate it as I have seen in photos of dogs retrieving dead rabbits.

I am not knocking any breed here as every dog has the potential to be hard mouthed. Your thoughts please.

TC

i think from having lurchers 30 years ,and seen fair few differnt xs over the years , it all down to being a good retevier . meaning just watch retevier ,they will strike get the rabbit, get one nice hold and lift and bring back, now watch another dog that not great retevier they strike grab the rabbit, then fook about with therehold on it , so there mouthing the rabbit, bloody marks all over, or the rabbit will kick to try and get way, so it down to being good clean retevier i think. some dogs when pused on a hard/long night, will kill rabbits when tired as well, so some ways it pays to know when the time to call it night. my 2 dogs are like this bryn was ok when young but as he got older and tired marked few, where Buck differnt he got better wind and natural at brining back, so rabbits are always unmarked, but other stuff he will leave his calling card bite like fooking croc lol

TC

i think from having lurchers 30 years ,and seen fair few differnt xs over the years , it all down to being a good retevier . meaning just watch retevier ,they will strike get the rabbit, get one nice hold and lift and bring back, now watch another dog that not great retevier they strike grab the rabbit, then fook about with therehold on it , so there mouthing the rabbit, bloody marks all over, or the rabbit will kick to try and get way, so it down to being good clean retevier i think. some dogs when pused on a hard/long night, will kill rabbits when tired as well, so some ways it pays to know when the time to call it night. my 2 dogs are like this bryn was ok when young but as he got older and tired marked few, where Buck differnt he got better wind and natural at brining back, so rabbits are always unmarked, but other stuff he will leave his calling card bite like fooking croc lol

i thought bryn was just a rabbiting dog so how come you know he got a bite like a croc on other things or am I missing the point ? Cheers

TC

i thought bryn was just a rabbiting dog so how come you know he got a bite like a croc on other things or am I missing the point ? Cheers
sorry Ray half asleep today, re read it lol

That's quite poor if there are 20 traits above hard mouth - A rabbit catching lurcher is meant to catch for the pot - for yours or others . A complete rabbit hunting lurcher is not complete unless it retrieves , and preferably alive . There are instances where even a soft mouth dog with enthusiasm will kill and bruise badly , not every catch is going to result in a perfectly alive rabbit ......... that's the truth . But if every rabbit back is crunched and left where it is , then what the hells the point of a dog . Its just a very poorly trained (if at all ) dog that's fast ... to call it a lurcher is pushing it ! . Nothing better than a dog running back with a nice healthy and alive rabbit in its mouth , certainly adds something to the dogs qualities .

It would depress me to own a dog that habitually crunched and did not retrieve rabbits . I have had one or two over the years that had hard mouths , and whereas they were good enough at the the other aspects , they were less than they could have been .

Anyway I always like to justify my Rabbit hunting with using the animal who's life I have taken , and a rabbit that's crunched to hell is not one that gives the best eating in my book !

Just my simple thoughts .

• Like 1

That's quite poor if there are 20 traits above hard mouth - A rabbit catching lurcher is meant to catch for the pot - for yours or others . A complete rabbit hunting lurcher is not complete unless it retrieves , and preferably alive . There are instances where even a soft mouth dog with enthusiasm will kill and bruise badly , not every catch is going to result in a perfectly alive rabbit ......... that's the truth . But if every rabbit back is crunched and left where it is , then what the hells the point of a dog . Its just a very poorly trained (if at all ) dog that's fast ... to call it a lurcher is pushing it ! . Nothing better than a dog running back with a nice healthy and alive rabbit in its mouth , certainly adds something to the dogs qualities .

It would depress me to own a dog that habitually crunched and did not retrieve rabbits . I have had one or two over the years that had hard mouths , and whereas they were good enough at the the other aspects , they were less than they could have been .

Anyway I always like to justify my Rabbit hunting with using the animal who's life I have taken , and a rabbit that's crunched to hell is not one that gives the best eating in my book !

I think it's quite poor that you don't class a hard mouthed dog as a lurcher. Lol.

• Like 2

why is a lurcher got catch for the pot . Most people don't every est there catch, the dog or ferrets do..

why is a lurcher got catch for the pot . Most people don't every est there catch, the dog or ferrets do..
lurchers were bred to catch for the table...don't get what's so hard to get?

To say that you would rather a hard mouthed dog over a soft mouthed dog is a it silly...

Thank god were not all the same my smallest dog takes its time sometimes bringing me the rabbit back that maybe her size but she has a great habit of skinning them and preparing for the pot with carrots and onions but she does forget the ceraly from time to times so she's not a lurcher and shows no quality of ever being one no wonder the collie cross owners have no esteem on us terrier cross owners

• Like 1

because of ladybird books and all the romantic poacher piss years since I eat one but bogs love them
  • Like 2

lurchers were bred to catch for the table...don't get what's so hard to get?

To say that you would rather a hard mouthed dog over a soft mouthed dog is a it silly...

were does it say I prefer? It doesn't it says I'm not bothered ... And actually they were for catching edible game to put food on the table . I'm pretty sure them hungry families weren't bothers if it was brought back dead or alive . And the topic is about hard mouthed... Not tagging the shit out of the rabbit .