Nighthunter Whippets?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good to hear some conversation regarding Whippets...? When I first came South from my native Wales, we settled in Portsmouth... There was a long tradition of poaching/mouching style of roust

Had great times with her, i never came home empty handed, and never took more than i needed

people define game in different ways. I call it driven. a game little rabbit dog, one with plenty of drive will work nettles, brambles, gorse, etc. when right on it's rabbit heading for cover it won't

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

I do get a bit frustrated people slagging whippets off that don’t own or work them or even worse having a pop at them because they can’t kill and retrieve a red stag ?. They are only good for rabbits....yes exactly. Whilst I have no issue people hunting what they like rabbits are the only legal quarry we can run in this country and some people (like myself) just really enjoy running the humble rabbit and want a dog suited to rabbit work. I have owned many lurchers (big and small) and currently have a large ped x non ped male whippet and for rabbits he is spot on as good any of the lurchers. Marks, catches for fun and very loyal. Only real issue is the f****r is hard mouthed as any terrier I’ve owned but it’s almost certainly by fault as a trainer. He will go out in snow or rain and not bother him and despite the absurd size difference will have a bloody good go on a fallow despite often getting a good kicking for his trouble. If you want a game dog for rabbit work then a whippet will fit the bill nicely. I may be mad but I have been studing him out free of charge to the right kind of lads just to help out good people breeding pups for the right reasons and also to help get decent working blood out there. 

hard mouthed is something I have always accepted. all my beddywhippets have had Jaws like a gin trap. don't know if its from the beddy or the Whippet. how big is he Bob? 

41 minutes ago, fred90 said:

hard mouthed is something I have always accepted. all my beddywhippets have had Jaws like a gin trap. don't know if its from the beddy or the Whippet. how big is he Bob? 

Yes my beddy/whip I had before him was the same, like you just accepted it. He is around 21tts, so fair size for a whippet. He isn’t perfect far from it but he does what I want him to and hunt pretty much on my own so only has to please me! 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, poxon said:

Whippets are underrated it kills me when you see threads on here people asking for a  small ferreting/mooching/ lamping dog everyone avoids saying whippet they giving it the thin skin,cowardly,nervous shivering skinny cut talk always say is what you want is a beddy whippet ive been round quite a few working whippets I come in to the game with them been around them pretty regularly up until 6-7yrs ago same as the beddy whippets they’ve always been there as well if I wanted a small running dog I’d have a male working whippet 

But are you sure there the complete article

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

But are you sure there the complete article

No because it’s not a f1 pea in a pod beddy greyhound like yours that does everything ?a straight working whippet is still better than a f1 beddy whippet by today’s peddling standard but saying that don’t you want to add straight whippet to your little pea in a pod ????‍♂️

I'd always previously been of the opinion that a whippet lurcher MUST be better than a pure whippet because of what you're adding to it. However, for the last dozen or so years my brother has had three whippets and they've certainly opened my eyes to what they're capable of. I don't think I could ever have one though...my neighbour complains enough about how skinny my kelpies are...God only knows what she'd make of a whippet!

• Like 2

If any one is thinking about spending the daft money that they are wanting for a ped whippet at the min keep your money in your pocket if your looking for a good rabbit dog, they are out there and I got lucky owning one but I've wasted a lot of time and money looking for another, I'd say 80% of ped whippets are not as good on rabbits as a lurcher and the only first cross whippet lurcher that is any good is a whippet x greyhound. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, poxon said:

No because it’s not a f1 pea in a pod beddy greyhound like yours that does everything ?a straight working whippet is still better than a f1 beddy whippet by today’s peddling standard but saying that don’t you want to add straight whippet to your little pea in a pod ????‍♂️

As your Heinz 57 is just over a inch larger than my f1 and as you say yours is just a mooching dog what is it that it excels at ? That a f1 can’t ? Just curious being a novice like?

2 hours ago, Neal said:

I'd always previously been of the opinion that a whippet lurcher MUST be better than a pure whippet because of what you're adding to it

I think it's more that the whippet lurchers usually come from gens of hunting dogs where the pures mostly not. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Loton Moocher said:

As your Heinz 57 is just over a inch larger than my f1 and as you say yours is just a mooching dog what is it that it excels at ? That a f1 can’t ? Just curious being a novice like?

?

Edited by poxon
Blokes a twat
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, Trev70 said:

If any one is thinking about spending the daft money that they are wanting for a ped whippet at the min keep your money in your pocket if your looking for a good rabbit dog, they are out there and I got lucky owning one but I've wasted a lot of time and money looking for another, I'd say 80% of ped whippets are not as good on rabbits as a lurcher and the only first cross whippet lurcher that is any good is a whippet x greyhound. 

10 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I think it's more that the whippet lurchers usually come from gens of hunting dogs where the pures mostly not. 

This is what I find so confusing about whippet lurchers. Just when I read an opinion I think makes perfect sense, somebody says something different which makes perfect sense too. Maybe it's simply that whippet lurchers can be amazing but some aren't and it just depends on which ones you meet. ?My brain aches trying to formulate my own opinion on this conundrum. I'd normally now sign off by saying that I don't need to worry about it because I've got my kelpies?...but one of them is Ned...and my brain aches just as much thinking what the hell to do with him?...but that's a whole other can of worms.?

Back to the whippets.☺️

• Like 1