david901

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this is the one, although there are longer versions

A couple of pics of the imprint gos doing what she does best.....LOL She has had a few rabbits as well and hopefully if the weather stays dry and cold, I can do a few streams for some duck before th

Its been raining non-stop here for the last few days. Yesterday was a "fast" day for the hawks, so I wanted to get him out hawking today. I waited ages to see if it would stop raining, but it didn'

Posted Images

I never thought of leg-mounting with the gos,

I was always worried it would interfere with their footing ability.

If you used some kind of micro transmitter double cable tied through the eyelet or through a small hole punched through the corner of the anklet, then it can't interfere mate, no more than a bell would........;-)

That said....some folk maintain the transmitter being that close to the floor on a kill isn't a good thing? It's one of the pro's to the backpack apparently......

I can't say I noticed a difference in signal tbh......but then unfortunately I didn't have many long track downs on pheasant kills...haha

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 1

If you used some kind of micro transmitter double cable tied through the eyelet or through a small hole punched through the corner of the anklet, then it can't interfere mate, no more than a bell would........;-)

That said....some folk maintain the transmitter being that close to the floor on a kill isn't a good thing? It's one of the pro's to the backpack apparently......

I can't say I noticed a difference in signal tbh......but then unfortunately I didn't have many long track downs on pheasant kills...haha

Thanks for the advice mate.

That's the good thing about forums, you can share and gain information and see other's experiences and what works or doesn't work for them.

I've only got normal sized transmitters as I'm too tight to buy any of the newer stuff. :whistling:

• Like 1

That's the good thing about forums, you can share and gain information and see other's experiences and what works or doesn't work for them.

I've only got normal sized transmitters as I'm too tight to buy any of the newer stuff. :whistling:

Are you on 173? I've still got the merlin mini from falconry electronics here if you want it.........as 173 is of absolutely no use to me out here.....

Not sure what order it's in though, but you could always get it checked by FE.........pm your address if you want & I'll send it out......

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 1

I use the tail and leg with the gos as I always used one on the tail.until my mate lost his gos for 9 days with just tranny on the tail and failed and couldn't find it.now I use one on The tail and leg incase one tranny fails.

Are you on 173? I've still got the merlin mini from falconry electronics here if you want it.........as 173 is of absolutely no use to me out here.....

Not sure what order it's in though, but you could always get it checked by FE.........pm your address if you want & I'll send it out......

That is a very generous offer mate.

Unfortunately I am on 216.

Thanks though, its much appreciated but you should keep it as you never know what will crop up.

You may be able to swap it with someone for something useful to you.

I use the tail and leg with the gos as I always used one on the tail.until my mate lost his gos for 9 days with just tranny on the tail and failed and couldn't find it.now I use one on The tail and leg incase one tranny fails.

That's a wise policy Sean.

Like you said, you never know when one is going to fail.

Your friend did well getting his gos back after 9 days.

I know that if my German gos was out for that long and catching his own game, there is no way I would get him back unless I was fortunate enough to trap him.

I'm not sure about my female imprint. I like to think she would come down to a lure or carcase, but you never know. Once they've had a few kills on their own they soon revert back to wild hawks. Over the years I've heard of a few guys who have lost imprint hawks that have never been seen again.

That is a very generous offer mate.

Unfortunately I am on 216.

Thanks though, its much appreciated but you should keep it as you never know what will crop up.

You may be able to swap it with someone for something useful to you.

No worries ;-) I had a feeling you might be on 216......

I know that if my German gos was out for that long and catching his own game, there is no way I would get him back unless I was fortunate enough to trap him.

I'm not sure about my female imprint. I like to think she would come down to a lure or carcase, but you never know. Once they've had a few kills on their own they soon revert back to wild hawks. Over the years I've heard of a few guys who have lost imprint hawks that have never been seen again.

Yeah as we spent three days looking for it and was four of us looking a spread out 20 miles radius where the bird was lost first and spread out to different parts but no luck.and then give up and on the ninth day he got a call from someone saying do you know anyone that has lost a hawk as it was sitting in the back yard up in a tree and off like a rocket he went and got there and it moved.but he seen crows going mad in a forest and ran over and there she was.but took him an hour or two to get the bird down as its killed for itself and wasn't interested in him.as he checked the bird weight and was the same weight it was when lost 9 days ago.and the bird only moved 20 miles away from where it was lost

Edited by sean goshawk
  • Like 1

I have had a few days without a catch with the little male gos lately,mainly due to flying in near gale force winds, but also the dog bumped some quarry out of range.

I could see that his confidence was starting to drop. So it was good he got a catch today.

First picture shows some of the crows overhead that would mob him if I wasn't there.

The next shows him plucking his prize.

post-20061-0-86129000-1448224675_thumb.jpg

post-20061-0-85499100-1448224693_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Well that's the male lost his other deck feather.

I don't want the follicles to grow over and block up, so I'm considering putting his weight up to encourage the feathers to come down. :hmm:

The rain is non-stop here for the next few days so I have upped his weight an ounce or 2 and will consider it.

Its a real shame as he has got his fitness up and has taken crows, Jackdaws, Magpie and one female pheasant recently.

I don't want the follicles to grow over and block up, so I'm considering putting his weight up to encourage the feathers to come down. :hmm:

The rain is non-stop here for the next few days so I have upped his weight an ounce or 2 and will consider it.

Its a real shame as he has got his fitness up and has taken crows, Jackdaws, Magpie and one female pheasant recently.

sorry to hear that david, weather not being kind to us at the mo so not a lot of flying to be had anyhow

sorry to hear that david, weather not being kind to us at the mo so not a lot of flying to be had anyhow

Tell me about the weather as I had the gos out yesterday Tring for a few rooks and no luck as she was up in weight at 2lb 12 1\2 oz.so ended up with rope pulling and planned for lamping tonight as there is a 12khp winds and perfect weather and it has rained from 12 oclock non stop so I'm getting peed off as ive not had a days ferreting in 4 weeks and thinking of ending my season early.