German Male Goshawk

david901

IMG_4599.JPG?psid=1&ck=0&ex=720P23-10-12_17-03.jpg?psid=1&ck=1&ex=720P23-10-12_17-03%5B1%5D.jpg?psid=1&ck=1&eP23-10-12_17-13%5B5%5D.jpg?psid=1&ck=1&e

A few pics of my male German Gos.

Parent reared and he is now 7 or 8 years old now [i think - time flies when you're having fun]

He flies around 1lb 4 to 1lb 5oz.

I had him at some pheasants 2 days ago. He grabbed 2 big cock pheasants but couldn't hold them. I think they are just too much for him.

He is more suited to smaller game I think.

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this is the one, although there are longer versions

A couple of pics of the imprint gos doing what she does best.....LOL She has had a few rabbits as well and hopefully if the weather stays dry and cold, I can do a few streams for some duck before th

Its been raining non-stop here for the last few days. Yesterday was a "fast" day for the hawks, so I wanted to get him out hawking today. I waited ages to see if it would stop raining, but it didn'

Posted Images

Do you find that he's particularly keen on any one bird? Or if the weights right, is he just up for it, whatever?

I did fancy a little male like that at first, but I knew I'd be coming across mainly rabbit....so went for a finnish bird...

I like the german birds, my male is half german and he fles best around 1lb 11.5 oz to 1lb12oz, he's nailed a few pheasants but I mainly fly rabbits, he lost a talon on one a few years ago, looking forward to getting him going again later this season

Do you find that he's particularly keen on any one bird? Or if the weights right, is he just up for it, whatever?

I did fancy a little male like that at first, but I knew I'd be coming across mainly rabbit....so went for a finnish bird...

Once he is fit and confident, he goes for just about anything, though the bird species he has had success with, gets him switched on very quickly.

He has caught quite a variety of species of bird, but he struggles to hold the bigger stuff.

He has caught quite a few duck for instance, but can never hold onto them long enough til I get there, which is quite frustrating.

At 1lb 4 or 5 oz, even Carrion crows can give him a hard time if he takes them too far away. A lot of crows weigh more that he does.

He also takes a few types of LBJs which can be quite entertaining.

Rabbits are not on the Radar as far as he is concerned, which is OK because I got him for hunting feather, though it would be a bonus if he took them.

• Like 1

I like the german birds, my male is half german and he fles best around 1lb 11.5 oz to 1lb12oz, he's nailed a few pheasants but I mainly fly rabbits, he lost a talon on one a few years ago, looking forward to getting him going again later this season

That is a good sized male Bullet.

It is harder and harder to get a German gos.

Everything is now Russian/ Albidus or whatever.

If I could, I would go for a German Female, something around 2lb or so is my ideal.

If I could, I would go for a German Female, something around 2lb or so is my ideal.

That's what I was going to say, getting those little german males must be quite difficult now......which is a shame.

When I first came out here I got a Russian male from Northern Goshawks of Germany........I think I could of had him going at 1lb 15oz perhaps, stunning bird.........too bad I got fcuked over with him, hadn't been properly parent reared & was apparent within days :-(

You live & learn I suppose..........bloody expensive lesson though!...haha

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 1

That's what I was going to say, getting those little german males must be quite difficult now......which is a shame.

When I first came out here I got a Russian male from Northern Goshawks of Germany........I think I could of had him going at 1lb 15oz perhaps, stunning bird.........too bad I got fcuked over with him, hadn't been properly parent reared & was apparent within days :-(

You live & learn I suppose..........bloody expensive lesson though!...haha

That is one major problem. - Buying a well raised hawk.

Some of the "reputable" breeders are not that reputable it seems.

I think some of the lads who breed from their own hunting stock just as a hobby can be more reliable.

I do believe paul brown sells proper german birds.......but he is in Germany lol

A hell of a long way to go for a hawk, but possibly worth it.

I have an egg-laying female who stands, lays and incubates and I'm betting she will rear as well if any eggs hatch.

I have been considering for a while if its worth the hassle to breed from her.

• Like 1

I do believe paul brown sells proper german birds.......but he is in Germany lol

A hell of a long way to go for a hawk, but possibly worth it.

I have an egg-laying female who stands, lays and incubates and I'm betting she will rear as well if any eggs hatch.

I have been considering for a while if its worth the hassle to breed from her.

are you sorted for semen?

Not yet, a lad was going to give me his imprint male, but that means another ruddy hawk to keep...

He is wanting to rehome the bird, but doesn't want it sold to one of the numerous idiots out there and at 7 years old its value is rather limited.

He offered it to me earlier in the year, but with flying my German male and hopefully I will be getting the female out I just don't have the time for it.

• Like 1

Had the gos up at the pheasant ground again.

The dog flushed a big cockbird and he chased it over a hill.
I found him sitting up in a large conifer tree, but he called down easily.
I let the dog work away from me and as I walked towards him, I flushed a hen pheasant.
The gos was off after it and after 100 yards or so the hen bailed into cover.
the gos did his what is now a usual tactic for him, of flying up vertically 15 feet and then wing over to come down on the gamebird.
When I got to him, he was looking around on the ground for the pheasant, so I figured it hadn't gone far.
I called the dog in as the gos jumped back onto my fist.
The dog started rooting around in the tall grass, and as his tail started wagging I knew it wasn't far away.
A short while later the hen flushed vertically, but the gos grabbed it and held onto it as they came to the ground.
I dealt with the hen and gave him a good feed up.
The cock birds maybe too much for him right now, but its good he did the hen pheasant.
Dave
  • Like 1