Putanges - The Movie!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Way With The Putanges   You’ve read the book, seen the photos and now the blockbuster film has just been released to a fanfare of publicity at the Barnsley Odeon! Never before has the famous red

My gripe with all the new mole trappers from these courses is that they are not earning a living at it but are just creaming off work from those of us that rely on Pest control for a living and are o

But you could equally argue that applies to pigeon shooting and rabbit clearance. Even ratting. There will always be middle ground.   I used to help a mate who ran a shoot and that involved shooting

It's had me already mate..!!!

Can't say you've handled a trap unless you've had "Hands-in" experience :D :D :D

I was putting a non-triggered dufus in my bag so I thought "Best trigger it before I reach in catch my fingers". Set one side off and then flipped it round thinking "Safety first Hutch" instead of watching where my fingers were that were holding the trap and as i pinged the other side i quickly realised by the sharp streak of pain that shot through my index finger I was holding it with my index finger right between where the the two loops sit at the top so it got sandwiched. That was a lesson learned for life as I watched my fingernail turn black over the next few hours. learnt a few new choice phrases as well for that matter at the same time.

• Like 2

Ponte that looks like a mini grinder wheel tool ? more you use the Putanes more you learn the setting and catch rate goes up. I doubted them at first but success rate is much higher now.

I must of missed a trick is everyone using wider triggers for their putanges now? Ive found the one's i got with the sets are fine. I set them alittle closer to the prongs is all.

Are we going to see garden proud folk on Lorraine talking about how they had "big boned" moles but got them on a weight loss programme as they were making the place look slobbish?

"I had the whole place re-landscaped so they were always digging up hill and limited them to four worms a day for three weeks. The results were amazing and I am so proud of my new slender moles. Harrington loves it too as he no longer has to sweat and strain to get the large arbour triggers in the Putanges. I have had people comment on how it's not right to hear a man sweating and straining behind the begonias and Rose almost spilled her afternoon Earl Grey when under such a strain Harrington demanded the larger trigger 'good grief it's so tight but I can't get your legs open any further'. Well, that just wont do as I had to spend the next thirty minutes explaining what was happening and things got even worse when I explained it was because my Putange needed a smaller trigger. Caroline said she needed a bigger trigger as Harold struggled to find it in the first place. It all got too much frankly and so something had to be done."

• Like 2

I must of missed a trick is everyone using wider triggers for their putanges now? Ive found the one's i got with the sets are fine. I set them alittle closer to the prongs is all.

Are we going to see garden proud folk on Lorraine talking about how they had "big boned" moles but got them on a weight loss programme as they were making the place look slobbish?

"I had the whole place re-landscaped so they were always digging up hill and limited them to four worms a day for three weeks. The results were amazing and I am so proud of my new slender moles. Harrington loves it too as he no longer has to sweat and strain to get the large arbour triggers in the Putanges. I have had people comment on how it's not right to hear a man sweating and straining behind the begonias and Rose almost spilled her afternoon Earl Grey when under such a strain Harrington demanded the larger trigger 'good grief it's so tight but I can't get your legs open any further'. Well, that just wont do as I had to spend the next thirty minutes explaining what was happening and things got even worse when I explained it was because my Putange needed a smaller trigger. Caroline said she needed a bigger trigger as Harold struggled to find it in the first place. It all got too much frankly and so something had to be done."

Thats some imagination you got there. Was a straight forward question, nevermind.

It's had me already mate..!!!

Can't say you've handled a trap unless you've had "Hands-in" experience :D :D :D

I was putting a non-triggered dufus in my bag so I thought "Best trigger it before I reach in catch my fingers". Set one side off and then flipped it round thinking "Safety first Hutch" instead of watching where my fingers were that were holding the trap and as i pinged the other side i quickly realised by the sharp streak of pain that shot through my index finger I was holding it with my index finger right between where the the two loops sit at the top so it got sandwiched. That was a lesson learned for life as I watched my fingernail turn black over the next few hours. learnt a few new choice phrases as well for that matter at the same time.

Putange got me yesterday much to my mates amusement. :icon_redface:

Thats some imagination you got there. Was a straight forward question, nevermind.

Sorry chief. I don't know what everyone is doing with regards to wider triggers, I just read your post and thought "Why would you need wider triggers?" And came to the conclusion it must be due to fat moles and then it went from there. Didn't know you could buy wider triggers for them anyway.

• Like 1

i made some wider triggers as i found the traps didnt always sit tight to the walls of the tunnel and on these tunnels could be rattled from side to side. i compared the set trap to the width of the ring on a duffus trap (made that size for a reason) and seen a big difference and went from there...

some liked them some dont, but i prefer them and wont go back to the standard trigger.. a little more awkward to set as some tunnels need a quick rake out to get the trap in but i dont find it a problem, as much i as i really like the trap i prefer the duffus as they are faster/easier to check..

• Like 1

i made some wider triggers as i found the traps didnt always sit tight to the walls of the tunnel and on these tunnels could be rattled from side to side. i compared the set trap to the width of the ring on a duffus trap (made that size for a reason) and seen a big difference and went from there...

some liked them some dont, but i prefer them and wont go back to the standard trigger.. a little more awkward to set as some tunnels need a quick rake out to get the trap in but i dont find it a problem, as much i as i really like the trap i prefer the duffus as they are faster/easier to check..

Depends on how you check them Smithie. If you just look at a Duffus, and are confident that if one or two of the springs are up it hasn't been disturbed then it is quicker checking Duffus traps. But you will not know whether a mole has gone under the trap or filled it. So I tend to lift at least some of the traps especially if the mole is still unaccounted for in the traps checked so far. That means clearing and re-setting the trap.

If you set a pair of Putanges and use the clod or a board to seal the hole all you need to do is lift the clod or board. You can tell by how the legs are aligned whether it has caught and see that the trap site is clear. Pop the clod or board back and the job's done. On my contract jobs it is embarrassing how quickly I can check three or four trap sites,

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...