Putanges - The Movie!

:hmm: Er, yeah,.kinda stating the fecking obvious ... :yes:

In the Pest Control Industry,..(and for many years, I was a successful, Rats, Mice and Crawling Insects wallah,.)....it is imperative that the operative is competent (and to stay in line with current legislation),..is fully trained and certificated,.. and aware of all his actions.

This is obvious,..we all know this.... :wallbash:

However,..as for the mole trapping business,..(and for some of us it is a full-time business),...we need this monthly turnover of newbies entering the game,..like a hole in the proverbial head..!.

These Guilds, Societies and Associations, (at one time, I belonged to them all ) run regular Training Days...it is their life's blood.. The questions you raised Nicepix,.will all be raised on the courses and demonstrated with gusto....Mole Trapping is not witchcraft, it is not some lost art,..but it does require a certain knack...

Now, I have nothing against anyone making a living,...of course not,..but, very few of these guys who have just taken the day's training on as providing 'another string in their bow' kinda thing,..are, as you so rightly say,.most unlikely to all become trapper of the fecking year,.or even financially survive for long,..but,...facts are,..every hard won trapping method, tip and essential hints that many of us have willingly passed on to various parties,..are now being sold on to trainees .. I soon realised that the craic on the forums and the question and answer section,..was a cheap learning curve, for the various Instructors and Trainers....

They were great listeners.. :censored:

Every pound a tyro trapper takes out of a local man's pocket,..and every job they take on,...is one less for us...

What part of this truism can't you comprehend Nicepix ?

You cannot stop progress , (if that is what it is),.but I sure as hell don't have to like it !

So,..we go on, as we have always gone on,....and rest assured, we will survive :thumbs:

Ps...Just seen a guy on a Facebook Page selling Putange Traps,..he is using your wee film as a training aid for his customers....Unbelievable...!!

"Er,.yeah,..kinda stating the fecking obvious...",..........exactly,...(i sort of thought,this ?,...but wasnt sure) lol & again Phil, well said,...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Way With The Putanges   You’ve read the book, seen the photos and now the blockbuster film has just been released to a fanfare of publicity at the Barnsley Odeon! Never before has the famous red

My gripe with all the new mole trappers from these courses is that they are not earning a living at it but are just creaming off work from those of us that rely on Pest control for a living and are o

But you could equally argue that applies to pigeon shooting and rabbit clearance. Even ratting. There will always be middle ground.   I used to help a mate who ran a shoot and that involved shooting

What I was saying is this: any fool can catch a mole, and for that matter any fool can catch a mouse, or a rat, a squirrel, rabbit, fox etc etc.

But how many fools can make a living at it?

Just knowing how to, does not make the man, or make the man a real professional.

Losing the odd bit of work to the part timers shouldn't hurt anyone too much, they are after all just amateurs who know a little bit.

• Like 1

Phil, I don't know who is referring people to my video but rest assured there isn't enough content in it to equip someone with the knowledge for mole trapping. I deliberately did not include things like locating the active tunnels, etc. and just made it an introduction to using Putanges. The man purpose was that doing a video is easier than writing instructions that would have had to be included in every package. A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say.

There has always been competition, maybe more these days, more associations. But unless the new breed of mole catcher puts the hours in, gain the experience needed they will not be around to long.

I generally rely on folk recommending me - I am only as good as my last mole caught

There are I believe, enough moles for all. Saying that I have started to put flyers in letter boxes when I drive past and see mole tumps, get quite a bit of extra trade this way

• Like 1

The post above is by one of the numpty wannabe part timers :D .

That applies to me too. I'm not doing more than three days a week for nobody! ;)

Talking of such people I've just had a look at my Youtube page and there are two messages from someone who fits that description: one thanking me for the traps I didn't sell him, and a second one two days later (after receiving no response) to say he'd changed his mind and they were a pile of schite.

No prizes for guessing who that is :whistling:

• Like 2

My gripe with all the new mole trappers from these courses is that they are not earning a living at it but are just creaming off work from those of us that rely on Pest control for a living and are out in all weather year after year. Some clients hear of these newbies and how they are cheap, and can't resist saving some money. We pros know that it is short sighted and that these guys work the easy areas leave any tricky moles and disapear taking the cash, as they are not relying on the money for mortgage and overheads its all beer money. Just as bad are some that do it for permission - some could get a gun on a top high bird shoot for the commercial value of the work they do never mind a bit of lamping or ferreting. I am not against anyone earning a bit of beer money from a sideline but it really p******** me off that these guys devalue my work

• Like 5

My gripe with all the new mole trappers from these courses is that they are not earning a living at it but are just creaming off work from those of us that rely on Pest control for a living and are out in all weather year after year. Some clients hear of these newbies and how they are cheap, and can't resist saving some money. We pros know that it is short sighted and that these guys work the easy areas leave any tricky moles and disapear taking the cash, as they are not relying on the money for mortgage and overheads its all beer money. Just as bad are some that do it for permission - some could get a gun on a top high bird shoot for the commercial value of the work they do never mind a bit of lamping or ferreting. I am not against anyone earning a bit of beer money from a sideline but it really p******** me off that these guys devalue my work

Defo would p*** you off when you rely on pest control for your living and others take money off you.

Human nature is to try and save money.

Defo would p*** you off when you rely on pest control for your living and others take money off you.

But you work at something else full time and do Pest control for beer money as you have said on other threads. You are exactly the type that is the problem. You are an idiot.

But you work at something else full time and do Pest control for beer money as you have said on other threads. You are exactly the type that is the problem. You are an idiot.

He's certainly no idiot. But I can understand your point IF he is in competition with a full time pesty. And from the sound of it he isn't.

If you are working full time at moling and you are good at it, you'll get repeat business and recommendations. Your customers won't book a part timer in summer and then come back to you in winter. They will stick with you. Your problem comes from those who start up, undercharge and therefore undermine your pricing structure and don't do the job properly. But if you haven't any full time pesties around you and your clients know that you are only working part time then you are not hurting anyone.

I have a pension and only started off mole trapping as a business by accident. I only do three days a week and up to now have only done moles with no plans to expand into any other form of pest control. But give that there are no other mole trappers within two hours drive of me it doesn't matter that I'm a part time pestie does it?

• Like 1

I weld. I'm not aprèntice trained so should the ones with better qualifications than me be complaining and although I do have some qualifications for stick, mig, taig, brazing and sheet metal there are others with no qualifications who are in full time work for less money than I get.

to top it off I have been on 4 day weeks for 13 months and it's not going to get better.

the world ows me nothing and if it comes to the point I can't pay my bills I'll just man up and find another job that does pay what I need

• Like 2

Read what I said "it would upset me if I worked full time in pest control", but I do not. its simple its competition.

I also charge well and make a good profit. What is wrong with that? And yes I employ an accountant and a tax return each year, my waste is collected by an approved contractor.

Does not matter what the business is, there will always be competition, you just have to try and make yourself "the best"

There are other pesties within a 20 mile radius and most, like me have at least 2 jobs

Edited by shropshire mole