Putanges - The Movie!

My Way With The Putanges

You’ve read the book, seen the photos and now the blockbuster film has just been released to a fanfare of publicity at the Barnsley Odeon! Never before has the famous red carpet seen such glitterati, or for that matter wellies and Muckboots.

Hollywood superstars such as Sir David Attenborough, Dame Judy Dench and Christopher Biggins are not in it. Bill Oddie couldn’t wouldn’t come and the film was introduced by that girl who sometimes presents the weather on Yorkshire TV.

My Way With The Putanges” concerns a simple lad from Barnsley making his living using nobbut bits of bent wire and a pair of wellies. You will find love, tragedy, heartbreak and some adult humour are not included in the film. In fact it is all about moles and mole traps. And bloody French ones at that!

Pointless” Barnsley Comical.

The end couldn’t come soon enough!” Fred Gibson (Michael Parkinson’s former next door neighbour)

“The film was s**t. But I enjoyed the pie & peas!” Aunty Lil.

Film rated as ‘PG’.

Warning; May contain nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGjGznte01M

• Like 18

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Way With The Putanges   You’ve read the book, seen the photos and now the blockbuster film has just been released to a fanfare of publicity at the Barnsley Odeon! Never before has the famous red

My gripe with all the new mole trappers from these courses is that they are not earning a living at it but are just creaming off work from those of us that rely on Pest control for a living and are o

But you could equally argue that applies to pigeon shooting and rabbit clearance. Even ratting. There will always be middle ground.   I used to help a mate who ran a shoot and that involved shooting

Nice little watch that mate ... They work exactly the same as the nomole which is the only trap I use now ... They are obviously more powerful which is obviously a bonus ... Looking forward to getting mine .......

• Like 1

Hay, you vewy funny man!

Video very good too! If someone can't catch a mole after that they must be clueless.

I'm reaching for the putange out of preference more and more, a real bonus is that to date I've not had a single mole in one that was caught inhumanley, no matter how good you are with barrels, it still sometimes happens.

Only downside of this video, is it reminded I haven't been back in France since end of July.

I was particularly interested in the different ways we all go about things! I too use a spoon, but your retaining pins being sort of like a bent tent peg. Mine that I originally made for use with my traplines, and now my putanges, is for lack of a better description like a woman's hair pin but made of non tensile fencing wire and about three inches deep/long, so I just put one leg either side of the putange spring to hold it in place.

Coming back to the spoon, I use it not only to clear and smooth the pipe (run/tunnel) I also use it as a gauge to check direction and depth to ensure the putange will go in comfortably, similar to you using it on the mole hill example. Incidentally, do you get much success that way? You would think old moldy would fill it with soil.

The other thing I noted was the way you position your triggers, I have been setting the base of it within the arms, so very sensitive (bloody tricky, particularly with shiny new ones), whereas, your setting it would appear, yours are about a mil below the bottom of the arms.

Good interesting stuff for us mole geeks! Talking of which, where's that grumpy old sod moley these days, can't be around, or I'm sure he would be having some input on these.

Oi, Wayne! Where are you?, lol.

Edited by mole trapper
  • Like 1

Yes, I agree that the more people who use them, the more good techniques will be shared.

I use a twisted piece of fence wire as a probe to check the direction of the tunnel and to rake out the crumb. The spoon comes in when the tunnel is too tight for the trap to slide in. It bores out the tunnel to just the right size. And it is useful for shovelling the debris from excavations after I've put the spade down. The twisted wire, spoon and a long, narrow trowel (I think it is designed for digging out dandelion roots) are my main Putange tools. The wire pegs are OK in strong ground, but in softer soil I put the plastic markers through the trap eye to secure it. If you get a mole trapped by the wrist it will drag the trap away so it is important to secure them properly. Fortunately, that rarely happens. Incidentally, I usually set my traps on their backs, prongs up. But if the tunnel curves then it is best to put the trap on its side so the prongs go round the corner.

I set the triggers so the straight parts are in contact with the legs of the trap. If you set it too high the round part of the corner of the trigger could result in it slipping out of the trap. When new they are slippy as Hell and care needs to be made to set the trigger perfectly square and with a couple of millimetre showing at the bottom of the trap legs. As the traps oxidise they grip the triggers better and subsequently they can be set higher. When I get a new batch to tie the triggers on I set them and leave them on the patio table overnight. Any that have tripped during the night get a good checking (usually it is the gap in the trigger being misaligned). Sometimes I have to rub the points of contact with emery cloth. After a day or two they are much easier to set.

The trap in the molehill trick does work sometimes. The prongs need to be right at the bottom of the down shaft. I think the mole clambers up the shaft to evict the soil that has been dislodged when placing the trap. So it works best when the tunnel is at least as deep as the traps are long otherwise you have the trap sticking out of the ground.

Some more really useful tips there, wouldn't have thought to set them and see if they are sprung in the morning.

As for the slippy when new, that's why I ordered a pack of spares! if they ain't tied and they ping, your never going to see that trigger again unless your in a 2'x2' room!I have "ahem", several traps here without triggers. Lol.

Edited by mole trapper

Some more really useful tips there, wouldn't have thought to set them and see if they are sprung in the morning.

As for the slippy when new, that's why I ordered a pack of spares! if they ain't tied and they ping, your never going to see that trigger again unless your in a 2'x2' room!I have "ahem", several traps here without triggers. Lol.

Tie the feckers on :laugh:

2015-06-24%2021.36.33_zpsq6p7k6re.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the vid Clive, gives us a bit of a start. would it be possible to just put a little grove on each side of the prongs to hold the trigger ( nothing to deep to stop it triggering ) and how about a U shaped retaining pin , to stop movement and being dragged on ?

Cheers

Bry

There is some 30lb braid included in every pack.

Bry, The trap relies on two round surfaces being held together under pressure from the spring. Similar to the two pieces of wood that butt together to hold a Larsen Trap open. If you put a groove in the trap then the trigger will not dislodge as easily. There is only a slight issue when the traps (and trapper) are brand new. After a day or so you'll both get on better. ;)

• Like 2