My Female Goshawk

bullet

I've filmed a fair bit of cursing this season.

I often can't remember if the GoPro is recording or not when it's stuck on my head, I tried a chest mount but the camera is too low sometimes. I've got a few clips I'll have to put them up when I get chance.

I just listen for the beeps when I turn it on, press record, if ive forgot and try it again you get multiple beeps when you've press to stop recording, just press it again, that's all I do

I just use the wifi control on the phone and turn it off and on without touching a button on the gopro

• Like 1

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a video of two slips on rabbit with my female gos, the clips are the wrong way around, the first slip she slammed in the fence after her rabbit, the second slip which is the first clip you can see in

today resulted in two rabbits from two slips got one on camera, need to sort out the quality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbNcJUUkMTs&feature=youtu.be the picture of the two  

today we were back out up the peak area, had a walk around first to see if any squatters were laying out, nowt to fly at so ferreted a sett, first slip for me rabbit was out and in as quick as a blink

Posted Images

I often can't remember if the GoPro is recording or not when it's stuck on my head, I tried a chest mount but the camera is too low sometimes. I've got a few clips I'll have to put them up when I get chance.

I just listen for the beeps when I turn it on, press record, if ive forgot and try it again you get multiple beeps when you've press to stop recording, just press it again, that's all I do

I just use the wifi control on the phone and turn it off and on without touching a button on the gopro

I guess its different for you when your lamping sean, if its not my slip or walking between setts is the only time I turn mine off, sometimes I stop and start it again to keep each footage short

I guess its different for you when your lamping sean, if its not my slip or walking between setts is the only time I turn mine off, sometimes I stop and start it again to keep each footage short

When I'm lamping when I'm just about to go in the field to start lamping I turn it on and only turn it off when I'm finished lamping and spend about an hour cutting the clips down.

• Like 1

When I'm lamping when I'm just about to go in the field to start lamping I turn it on and only turn it off when I'm finished lamping and spend about an hour cutting the clips down.

when ferreting we can be out between an hour up to 4 hours, depending on where we are and if the rabbits are playing ball(figure of speech for those of you who really think I mean..........lol)

today we were back out up the peak area, had a walk around first to see if any squatters were laying out, nowt to fly at so ferreted a sett, first slip for me rabbit was out and in as quick as a blink, second slip my bird caught as the rabbit was a bit worst for wear as looked as the ferret had been at it, a kill is a kill, next slip my mate male gos nailed a rabbit from the same sett, next was another mates harris and it was unlucky not to catch as it hit it once, ferret holding one to ground that my mate dug out

we then walked a few fields to try geta hare but no joy, the female harris managed to bag a mallard that was grazing about 100 or so yards out, well chuffed for her catching it

we then did some door knocking for more land and got 4 out of 5 farms to go at, full of stuff, get in

a still from my video today

post-1273-0-94406400-1447965840.jpg

• Like 3

managed a quick hour out today, tried two duck ponds but nothing on them, set of across fields to next one when a hare shot off from a good distance, slip bird and she covered the ground real fast, lost sight of the pair after she flew under the barbed wire fence in to the next field, ran down to where I lost sight of her to find her on the floor under a bush, must of where she lost it, decided to do some recalls as didn't have much time today as got hospital appointment with missus

• Like 1

Hi Bullet,

Well done on the rabbit and getting more land to hawk over - you can't have too much...LOL

I have found that with all the rain we have had, the ducks are using any splashes that are formed.

They don't seem to use the usual ponds for the timebeing.

Once a bit of cold dry weather comes in, I am hoping they will be back to their normal feeding places.

• Like 1

Hi Bullet,

Well done on the rabbit and getting more land to hawk over - you can't have too much...LOL

I have found that with all the rain we have had, the ducks are using any splashes that are formed.

They don't seem to use the usual ponds for the timebeing.

Once a bit of cold dry weather comes in, I am hoping they will be back to their normal feeding places.

hope so it shouldn't be long, getting some hard frost here now, even some snow lastnight,

today, had a cracking flight on rabbit, the rabbit bolted out in the field, straight in to the strong headwind, bird turned it a few times but she over shot it and she landed........but she got up and gave chase even though the rabbit had a right good lead on her and in to the wind, and she bloody caught it just before it made it to the next hedgeline!!!! get in, had a fair run just to get to her, but I was over the moon she put in that extra effort,

atb bullet

I bet you were blowing! Memorable flight mate.

memorable run too lol, buzzing off that flight, if you saw her last year(first year I flew her) she wouldn't of done that, but found that magic weight this season and she's really pushed beyond anything I expected of her, im enjoying her a lot more, she can have a mad five at bating for no reason( as if the last owner let her go everytime he/she thought she'd seen something, like she'd picked up some bad habit, but soon settles when she knows I don't let her get her own way, she was good on the rabbits last year but this year she will will go any distance to get what she's in pursuit of

• Like 1

memorable run too lol, buzzing off that flight, if you saw her last year(first year I flew her) she wouldn't of done that, but found that magic weight this season and she's really pushed beyond anything I expected of her, im enjoying her a lot more, she can have a mad five at bating for no reason( as if the last owner let her go everytime he/she thought she'd seen something, like she'd picked up some bad habit, but soon settles when she knows I don't let her get her own way, she was good on the rabbits last year but this year she will will go any distance to get what she's in pursuit of

I don't know much about imprints really, but I was led to believe that finding that magic weight is more of a challenge than with a parent reared? Have you found that?

I don't know much about imprints really, but I was led to believe that finding that magic weight is more of a challenge than with a parent reared? Have you found that?

ive never done a p/r, but heres what happened, I started to fly this female last year, I got her the year before, she was 6 years old,dont know her history etc, got her going and coming mint at 2lb 7.5 oz, so she was entered, no problem, if I tried to push her weight up she's mess about for hours, if I slipped her on stuff at say 50 yards out she would just half hearted fly then land, frustrated I can tell you, but we had a good season on the rabbits, this year that weight wouldn't entertain her, so I kept coming down, got a little worried but she didn't feel sharp etc, got her weight down to 2lb 5oz and she's a total different bird, she'll fly fields to get what she wants,

ive never done a p/r, but heres what happened, I started to fly this female last year, I got her the year before, she was 6 years old,dont know her history etc, got her going and coming mint at 2lb 7.5 oz, so she was entered, no problem, if I tried to push her weight up she's mess about for hours, if I slipped her on stuff at say 50 yards out she would just half hearted fly then land, frustrated I can tell you, but we had a good season on the rabbits, this year that weight wouldn't entertain her, so I kept coming down, got a little worried but she didn't feel sharp etc, got her weight down to 2lb 5oz and she's a total different bird, she'll fly fields to get what she wants,

I think it's common to be flying a bird higher than it should be. It's that fear of going under & everybody likes to think or would like their bird to be flying at higher weights.

A mate of mine struggled with a parent reared male. He just couldn't hit the mark! The poor guy was in pieces over it......he saw it as total failure on his part. It seems some external factors or reasons are just not that obvious sometimes.

• Like 1