My Female Goshawk

bullet

today has been tipping it down most of the day, the fact she hasn't had a rest day for a good week I just fed her on the fist today, she was up from yesterday so it'll do her no harm to have a day off

here's me saying about how the weather has changed for the better, spoke too soon I think......

today has been tipping it down most of the day, the fact she hasn't had a rest day for a good week I just fed her on the fist today, she was up from yesterday so it'll do her no harm to have a day off

here's me saying about how the weather has changed for the better, spoke too soon I think......

The weather is mad today it was heavy shower over here with high winds.and I was thinking of going lamping but just changed my mind and did rope pulling and maybe if the weather is good lll get out a run with the lamp tomorrow night.as I feel like I'm nocturnal as I can only hunt the bird at night time.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a video of two slips on rabbit with my female gos, the clips are the wrong way around, the first slip she slammed in the fence after her rabbit, the second slip which is the first clip you can see in

today resulted in two rabbits from two slips got one on camera, need to sort out the quality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbNcJUUkMTs&feature=youtu.be the picture of the two  

today we were back out up the peak area, had a walk around first to see if any squatters were laying out, nowt to fly at so ferreted a sett, first slip for me rabbit was out and in as quick as a blink

Posted Images

The weather is mad today it was heavy shower over here with high winds.and I was thinking of going lamping but just changed my mind and did rope pulling and maybe if the weather is good lll get out a run with the lamp tomorrow night.as I feel like I'm nocturnal as I can only hunt the bird at night time.

lol, you have to do what you have to do to get the best out of your bird, today aint great so im going up fields to do some good distance recall work, everyone has their methods, even hear of folk doing their bird 100 time's up and down their stairs(even train them this way), not for me, I prefer my bird to have the natural feel of cross winds etc, ive heard some horror stories when done on the stairs like the bird smashing them in the face etc (frustration) lol

I do recalls in to the wind across a good length field, that also gets them pumping,

today was a bloody wet one here but still got out and had four goes at rabbit, two weren't very sporting but two were good enough, but the bird was getting wetter every time, my mate wanted to try for a 5th but I didn't want to dishearten the bird anymore than she already was,

hope this weather clears up for the weekend

I do recalls in to the wind across a good length field, that also gets them pumping,

today was a bloody wet one here but still got out and had four goes at rabbit, two weren't very sporting but two were good enough, but the bird was getting wetter every time, my mate wanted to try for a 5th but I didn't want to dishearten the bird anymore than she already was,

hope this weather clears up for the weekend

tell me about the weather as ive just checked it and looks like where for getting rain for a whole week again ,as that is three week already ive not got any day time hunting with the bird and I can see at nite time shes about 80% fit and like to see what she'll do on a pheasant now.

back on ball today, first couple of flights looked like she was playing with the rabbits, third flight she meant business but it made it to safety, fourth flight she nailed no problem in a matter of feet, fed her up there on a good note, ready for tomorrow's big day

back on ball today, first couple of flights looked like she was playing with the rabbits, third flight she meant business but it made it to safety, fourth flight she nailed no problem in a matter of feet, fed her up there on a good note, ready for tomorrow's big day

Have you checked your forecast for tomorrow mate, good conditions? Do you think she'll be bang on for tomorrow?

oh she'll be bang on, just give out strong wind and rain..............we'll see, two hour drive,it'll be a change lol

Defy the odds mate! Haha.........I'll be looking for those hare pics tomorrow night...;-)

• Like 1

well where do I start, the land owner wanted to come with us, no problem, but he insisted on chatting to me from the start, so I let my mate lead hoping to get him a slip whilst we chatted, he only managed to kick up a couple of roe deer! two fields walked no hare, third field my mate kicked up hare, quite a distance away, I held back thinking i'll kick one up soon, less than a minute he kicks up another so I let her go, she burned up the field like a rocket, connected with the hares back and held on like a pro rodeo!!, but finally got shaken off!!, next field we walked in, rows of rape leaves, my mate spotted a squatter hare, line my self up with the wind in the birds favour, walks up and kicked it up and slipped my bird, she just ignored it!!! this isn't how it suppose to go, my confidence just crumbled, did the last hare put her off? having doubts now, young jack who was with us spotted another squatter, so I got my self in position and gave him the honour to kick it up, she left the fist and powered up to it and connected with its back, lost her footing,fluff flying in the wind past me as she put in again and brought it down, she got it.....run in and help her then kicks in!! just as im getting there the hare manages to break free and make for it, I tried to dive on it but missed!!, best she's had so far, she had a couple of more flights but it showed she was tiring so I called it a day, must add the wind was terrible but I wasn't missing today for anything!!

i'll upload the best clip to youtube and add the link soon

Unlucky mate & a good write up...........as you know, hares will be at their strongest over the next couple of months. A tough time to get your bird switched on to hare, that's for sure......

......but you're getting closer...;-)

• Like 1

Them hares are not easy animals to get as you need them really close to them to give the bird a good chance of catching it.as I would push my gos hard on them as 3 good hard flight tire them out quick.as Ive pushed my girl really hard on them and lay flat down on the grass after a hard flight.

• Like 1

Them hares are not easy animals to get as you need them really close to them to give the bird a good chance of catching it.as I would push my gos hard on them as 3 good hard flight tire them out quick.as Ive pushed my girl really hard on them and lay flat down on the grass after a hard flight.

I know what your saying, I gave her a few good rest up in between, the others were keen to keep me flying but with mine being the only female flying them I had to think of my bird and let her rest up, I couldn't of been more proud of her today,

just uploading a quick clip as we type, need more time to sort out my clips lol