My Female Goshawk

bullet

Here's my 2 cents worth on imprints - I've only flown one - this one for 6 years.

I found that to begin with, I had to have her weight down to a certain range in order to motivate her.

Once she was fit and confident her weight can go up considerably higher, depending on how you fly them.

The first few years I only ever killed once, fed her up and then called it a day.

She knew only too well that a catch meant getting a full crop which was a good motivation for her.

I have flown her at 2lb 3 or 4, right up to 2lb 8 or 9. At the higher weights, she was more selective, but still killed regularly.

Her usual flying weight was from 2lb 5 to 2lb 6.

The good thing I like with my imprint is that weight was not an issue when flying her.

With the 2 parent reared Gosses I have flown - both males, weight was fairly critical and only had a range of an ounce or so.

I'm not talking about putting their weight up gradually as they muscle up, I'm talking about everyday hawking weights.

The thing is, all birds are individuals and their temperaments are all different. The same with how much motivation they require will vary from bird to bird.

• Like 2

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a video of two slips on rabbit with my female gos, the clips are the wrong way around, the first slip she slammed in the fence after her rabbit, the second slip which is the first clip you can see in

today resulted in two rabbits from two slips got one on camera, need to sort out the quality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbNcJUUkMTs&feature=youtu.be the picture of the two  

today we were back out up the peak area, had a walk around first to see if any squatters were laying out, nowt to fly at so ferreted a sett, first slip for me rabbit was out and in as quick as a blink

Posted Images

Here's my 2 cents worth on imprints - I've only flown one - this one for 6 years.

I found that to begin with, I had to have her weight down to a certain range in order to motivate her.

Once she was fit and confident her weight can go up considerably higher, depending on how you fly them.

The first few years I only ever killed once, fed her up and then called it a day.

She knew only too well that a catch meant getting a full crop which was a good motivation for her.

I have flown her at 2lb 3 or 4, right up to 2lb 8 or 9. At the higher weights, she was more selective, but still killed regularly.

Her usual flying weight was from 2lb 5 to 2lb 6.

The good thing I like with my imprint is that weight was not an issue when flying her.

With the 2 parent reared Gosses I have flown - both males, weight was fairly critical and only had a range of an ounce or so.

I'm not talking about putting their weight up gradually as they muscle up, I'm talking about everyday hawking weights.

The thing is, all birds are individuals and their temperaments are all different. The same with how much motivation they require will vary from bird to bird.

I do like that way of thinking. Motivation is the key imo.

I was more inclined to finish on a single kill, even if that meant the van was barely out of sight before I was heading back or in the field for just half an hour or so.

I think in the long run that often makes the difference on rarely going home with an empty bag.

I passed on my male Harris to a good friend when I got my gos & we often hunted split days together, morning or afternoon for each bird.

He was getting on reasonably well, but complained he was failing to get as much out of the male Harris as I had done. I just put it down to a new owner......then I saw him one morning trade a rabbit kill for a measly chick leg! .....just because he was desperate to get a second before he fed up......I almost screamed motivation! at him...haha

There's some good stuff on here lately with all the gos threads.....:-)

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 3

crap day today, went up the peak with two other friends, my female gos, male gos and female harris, the female harris had two kills from the motor before we got to the grounds, tried one place, for some reason everybody split up???? not got a flight, but we regrouped again after an hour or so, kicked a rabbit up in a gorse bush but it went back in, I did slip my bird but it wasn't having any, got my bird back on the fist, male gos had a go at the same rabbit out the gorse bush, hit it twice but lost it, got back to car try another place, same again everybody split up, couldn't settle not knowing where everyone was, missed a slip on a hare, mates gos has had a flight but lost it, got back to motor fed my bird up, had enough for one day

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing Bullet.

These days happen more often than a lot of falconers let on. :icon_eek:

Sometimes it just doesn't happen, no matter how hard we try.

I just thought it might be boring for some, soooooo excited for next weekend, goshawks only day on sunday, hares for me and what ever my mates male can catch

• Like 1

I hope you have a safe and successful days hawking mate.

thanks I hope so too

well today we walked around most ponds but nothing on them, went to a spot that holds the odd hare, and yep one gets up, birds powers up field after it, connects and has a ride on its back, a bit of a tussle and the hare breaks free(damn)

still I was buzzing that she is still 100% committed on them

• Like 1

thanks I hope so too

well today we walked around most ponds but nothing on them, went to a spot that holds the odd hare, and yep one gets up, birds powers up field after it, connects and has a ride on its back, a bit of a tussle and the hare breaks free(damn)

I was told by a regular Hare hawker that a decent female Harris has more success than a Goshawk because of the difference in footing. Harris hawks tending to keep hold of their first grip & the Gos tending to try & change grip, thus letting go so many.

Having seen a few Harris hawks being dragged all over fields & slammed up & down into the ground by hares, while falconer franticly runs behind, I think I'd prefer the Gos style, maybe less productive, but perhaps safer?

• Like 1

thanks I hope so too

I was told by a regular Hare hawker that a decent female Harris has more success than a Goshawk because of the difference in footing. Harris hawks tending to keep hold of their first grip & the Gos tending to try & change grip, thus letting go so many.

Having seen a few Harris hawks being dragged all over fields & slammed up & down into the ground by hares, while falconer franticly runs behind, I think I'd prefer the Gos style, maybe less productive, but perhaps safer?

I think its fair to say anybody doing hares with a gos or harris will lose more than they catch, It would be probably different if you had access to plenty of them, but I don't, hence my two hour trip planned for the weekend, I want to try and get out there every other weekend if I can, I only have 3 good flights on them and call it a day, no point burning the bird out

Edited by bullet
  • Like 3

thanks I hope so too

I think its fair to say anybody doing hares with a gos or harris will lose more than they catch, It would be probably different if you had access to plenty of them, but I don't, hence my two hour trip planned for the weekend, I want to try and get out there every other weekend if I can, I only have 3 good flights on them and call it a day, no point burning the bird out

Good luck for the wkend.......I think it's only a matter of time now mate....

• Like 1

What's your female like on duck and cock pheasants bullet

I had a cock pheasant with her last year, she's flown one or two this year, not tried her on duck yet as nothing has been on our ponds, I fly mainly rabbit as feather isn't something we have a lot of around here, my male has had a few good seasons on duck, pheasants and the odd crow

thanks I hope so too

Hi Bullet

Can you get hold of a hare carcase.

Do the usual - drag it about, give her a real tussle on it and then give her a bumper crop up.

It may just keep her totally motivated, though she does seem absolutely committed right now.

I heard about a Czech gos that only flew at 2lb or so that used to take loads of them. That was the only quarry she was flown at and she was started off early in season before they grew into huge monsters...LOL.

• Like 1

thanks I hope so too

Hi Bullet

Can you get hold of a hare carcase.

Do the usual - drag it about, give her a real tussle on it and then give her a bumper crop up.

It may just keep her totally motivated, though she does seem absolutely committed right now.

I heard about a Czech gos that only flew at 2lb or so that used to take loads of them. That was the only quarry she was flown at and she was started off early in season before they grew into huge monsters...LOL.

I could get hold of one if need be, but at the mo whilst she going good after them i'll leave her to try, if I think she's losing intrest then I will try that, thanks for the thought

today has been tipping it down most of the day, the fact she hasn't had a rest day for a good week I just fed her on the fist today, she was up from yesterday so it'll do her no harm to have a day off

here's me saying about how the weather has changed for the better, spoke too soon I think......