Put A Tag On Your Dog!!!

Have just watched a bloody tragedy unfold on facebook. A dog (bull lurcher) jumps into someone's car, and is then put in someone's back yard. A photo is put up on facebook asking if anyone knows it.

While running free, and presumably panicked, the dog has 'attacked horses and cars' and been reported to the police. So someone tells the police that a dog matching that description has been found.

Soon, SEVEN police vans turn up to get the dog - it's almost certain it won't be around for long.

The dog is a bull cross in excellent condition, clearly worked, and with a Strong Stuff collar on it. If that collar had had a tag on it too, the finder would have rung the number, the lad or lass would have gone to get the dog and it would never have been on facebook at all, the end.

Instead what looks like a good dog which has probably run into trouble and then panicked has been labelled, caught and will most likely be put down...

Stick a tag on your dog, write your phone number visibly on the outside of the collar, anything. It could happen to lots of us.

• Like 3

I recall reading bits of the Control of Dogs Act about a year ago and to me it seems that it is a requirement for almost all dogs to be collared and tagged in a public place (with a couple of exeptions). By the words 'any dog while being used...' would this mean wearing them whilst going to and from the location where the dog is to actually 'work'?

Mine is a pet and has a tag on both collar and harness, but I see lots of pet dogs out and about who don't appear to be wearing a tag, and in a few cases not even a collar.

What are your thoughts on this?

The Control of Dogs Order 1992

This mandates that any dog in a public place must wear a collar
with the name and address of the owner engraved or written on it,
or engraved on a tag. Your telephone number is optional (but advisable).
Certain dogs are exempt from having to wear a collar with a dog tag.
They are:
Any dog registered with the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association.
Any dog while being used in emergency rescue work.
Any dog while being used on official duties by a member of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces, HM Customs and Excise or the police.
Any dog while being used for driving or tending cattle or sheep.
Any dog while being used for the capture or destruction of vermin.
Any dog while being used for sporting purposes.
Any pack of hounds.

I read that as they should be collared and tagged while "off duty" as it were :thumbs: only really a problem if you're walking to your permission though I suppose

That's exactly how I read it BGD, thing is there is a lot of dog walkers etc who don't even pick their dogshit up so I doubt they would be bothered to tag them, another one of those things that doesn't get policed so they know they can get away with it I suppose.

if its attacked horses surely it deserves what it gets?never had a tag on any my dogs don't intend to start now if im honest

Well we don't know any of the details so hard to say. People mean different things by the word 'attacked' for a start, and even a steady dog might act out of character when separated and rattled. This dog won't be given a chance now, especially because of its type. I admit mine don't wear collars and tags a lot of the time, when working or even just out and about - particularly when we're in familiar places, but I'm rethinking that now.

If it's marked up I doubt whoever it is will want to go to the police to try and collect it anyway.

Barbed wire cuts, Bramble scratches and rat bites equal badger baiting dog fighters as we all know!!!!

Edited by j1985

If it's marked up I doubt whoever it is will want to go to the police to try and collect it anyway.

Barbed wire cuts, Bramble scratches and rat bites equal badger baiting dog fighters as we all know!!!!

That's my point - if the dog had had a number on it's collar, it would never have fallen into the hands of the police in the first place, and would be back where it belongs now.

just say you were out coursing,lamping,ect and your dog lets say caused an accident would you want yer phone number hanging from its neck,.be honest,

Well that depends if you're a decent dog person, who stands by their dog and protects it, or a crap one, who sacrifices your dog to save your own skin I suppose.

• Like 2

just say you were out coursing,lamping,ect and your dog lets say caused an accident would you want yer phone number hanging from its neck,.be honest,

I think it's the law to chip them anyway,more chance of a random person calling you to just give your dog back than the RSPCA,vets or police.