Collie Blood

On a different but related note, my favourite is when you are lamping rabbits and the dog lifts its head and takes a big lung full of air.. . . . . . after which is promptly ignores what you put in the beam and stares intently into the darkness. . . . . . . . usually the best bet is slip the dog, count a few seconds and light up where she's heading!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd love to have this fella back - faster than he looked clever and gutsy too.  

My wee lurcher pup 23" 6 month old very little collie in it 1/8 but is very collie ish in its behavior

I've kept collie based lurchers for a number of years now .... best part of 20 odd. I know that they don't suit everyone but they do me just fine, catching me a few bits and bobs but mine have been g

Posted Images

Imagine every feeling from depressed to ecstatic and have a few collie x's and you'll feel every one.

They're all the same but none are alike. :D

Know exactly what you mean Johnny! When you get a good one though, they really are good.

I've heard that phrase a few times, apparently its the same with women. :laugh:

• Like 2

Ive always been a fan of collie blooded lurchers, truth is they have been around for a long time, and will be around when other types fall out of fashion. They have an army of critics, quite a few who have never actually owned one, but feel they have the right to give everyone the benefit of their inexperience. No they arent the perfect dog for every task, but in some cases they come pretty damn close. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Ive always been a fan of collie blooded lurchers, truth is they have been around for a long time, and will be around when other types fall out of fashion. They have an army of critics, quite a few who have never actually owned one, but feel they have the right to give everyone the benefit of their inexperience. No they arent the perfect dog for every task, but in some cases they come pretty damn close. :thumbs:

could say that about every cross
  • Like 1

I have heard of collie crosses doing all sorts of odd things. But have never read on here of a fault that one bitch I had did. Every now and then usually after about 15 rabbits but not always, she would start running rabbits with her head up, turning the rabbits but not striking. Then for some reason only known to her, after doing this for anything between 3 and 7 rabbits she would put her head back down and carry on as normal.

To be honest it really wound me up at first but I got used to it in the end. I tried a few "remedies" but none worked. The thing is there was no rhyme or reason that I could see that caused her to do it, and she would not do it every night, perhaps she would do it three nights on the trot then not do it again for a month. Odd things these collie lurchers, just love them myself.

TC

• Like 3

I found as a ferretin mooching dog they do well, pit em on lamp and they sometimes lack drive, obviously not all tho. If lamping is your game then adding colliex to summat else like terrierx or bullx then you get chance of a better dog, only my opinion before somebody starts huffing lol

very true. Adding something else into the mix just seems to make them a little less complex, knock the edge of that thinker. A good lamp dog needs the physical attributes of the collie x, but not all the brains.

• Like 2

I have heard of collie crosses doing all sorts of odd things. But have never read on here of a fault that one bitch I had did. Every now and then usually after about 15 rabbits but not always, she would start running rabbits with her head up, turning the rabbits but not striking. Then for some reason only known to her, after doing this for anything between 3 and 7 rabbits she would put her head back down and carry on as normal.

To be honest it really wound me up at first but I got used to it in the end. I tried a few "remedies" but none worked. The thing is there was no rhyme or reason that I could see that caused her to do it, and she would not do it every night, perhaps she would do it three nights on the trot then not do it again for a month. Odd things these collie lurchers, just love them myself.

TC

they can pick up "bad" habits just as quick as "good" ones. But those dogs that stay in my mind are the ones whose habits looked bad, but turned out to be a godsend :yes:

• Like 1

TC

they can pick up "bad" habits just as quick as "good" ones. But those dogs that stay in my mind are the ones whose habits looked bad, but turned out to be a godsend :yes:

Funnily enough, when I read about collies stalking on here, I always have a wry smile on my face. She put so many rabbits in the bag by stalking and rushing it was unbelievable. Rabbit sitting on hedge, usually my fault for not using the wind properly, and she would stalk it out of the beam and rush it, it inevitably ended up in the bag. :thumbs:

TC

• Like 4

TC

Funnily enough, when I read about collies stalking on here, I always have a wry smile on my face. She put so many rabbits in the bag by stalking and rushing it was unbelievable. Rabbit sitting on hedge, usually my fault for not using the wind properly, and she would stalk it out of the beam and rush it, it inevitably ended up in the bag. :thumbs:

TC

Many moons ago, I had a heavily collie based bitch. A steady ferreting/marking dog, but not the fastest by a long chalk. She would creep up on a rabbit sat near a hedge, with little success (daytime). Then the penny dropped and she would slink back through the hedge and do a rapid creep. Invariably she popped back out in the right place. and her success rate trebled. Not a world beater, but a damned fine pot filler. My next dog was a flying machine, a choice I regretted for its overly short career.

• Like 2

could say that about every cross

Not really, many crosses have not been around a long time. The collie cross is probably the original lurcher.

• Like 2

That rings a bell, when she was about 6 I bought a replacement for her. I must be honest that pup had more drive and speed than she ever had, but not a quarter of her brain power. Needless to say he did not make it past two.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1