Pike Fishing

As mentioned in the other post by socks llangorse is good fun, fish out of a boat take your own anchor, haven't been for a few years be worth looking on an angling forum to see what's in there. Atb Joe

I always keep an anchor handy in case i need to take it somewhere. :thumbs:

As you do..

Get yourself on some of the bigger rivers,you may be surprised :yes: One rod on a static dead/livey,one drifting /trotting,one hour per peg,and move on....you will cover a lot of water this way.When the temps drop quite often the pike lay on the bottom,fairly dormant,although not actively hunting for prey if you drop a bait in front of them they oftrn take(quite often when you catch them like this they are covered in leeches) the more water you cover the better your chances.Doing this,on a good day we could knock out 5 or 6 doubles and the odd twenty ,whilst others were sat under brollies waiting for pike to move into their swims :yes: Granted no 40,s like the trout waters,however you never know :thumbs:

Edited by northern lad

As mentioned in the other post by socks llangorse is good fun, fish out of a boat take your own anchor, haven't been for a few years be worth looking on an angling forum to see what's in there. Atb Joe

I always keep an anchor handy in case i need to take it somewhere. :thumbs:

As you do..

well that's the talk on the street that you drop your anchor in poo bay

Years ago I knew two different anglers who would catch many pike from weirs on the Thames, although to be fair not often particularly big, which I appreciate is what yo asked for. One guy roamed and used wobbled sprats in all sorts of odd places around the outflowing water of different weirs always catching several. The other used a punt and floatfished livebait/deadbait around a particular weir. Sometimes he'd catch 30 or more in one session!

• Like 1

concrete block will suffice, feck they're all out tonight

Ahhhh...take my handy concrete block on a chain. :laugh: Should have said. I keep that in the boot of the car at all times.

Well you never know when you might need to weigh something down and chuck it in the canal :whistling:

Years ago I knew two different anglers who would catch many pike from weirs on the Thames, although to be fair not often particularly big, which I appreciate is what yo asked for. One guy roamed and used wobbled sprats in all sorts of odd places around the outflowing water of different weirs always catching several. The other used a punt and floatfished livebait/deadbait around a particular weir. Sometimes he'd catch 30 or more in one session!

Sunburn weir?I have had some good pike sessions there with up to a dozen fish.

Sunburn weir?I have had some good pike sessions there with up to a dozen fish.

Godstow Weir, Trout Inn, Oxford. I believe this weirpool is actually a 'sanctuary' for fish dating from the 1500s, but he used to fish it from a punt.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...