Thinking Of A Redtail

Only thing though mate i would be lamping the gos 5 days a week. Don't you think that's abit of a waste for them? They make rabbits look easy enough through the day let alone lamping.

If the weather is bad for me threw the day time I always turn to lamping with the gos as I could lamp nearly 5 days a week with the gos and then go out with her at the weekend as your still flying the bird to keep it fit for the pheasant season.as any fit b o p will make the rabbit look easy.the only difference you'll get with a gos you'll is fast flights of the fist at game bird and with a red you'll catch quarry better on the soar.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I thought my Harris was never going to work with my pointer I gave serious thought to what I would obtain next. I think most people want a go at hunting with a goshawk so I looked into them. The

im on my second year of trying for the hares with my female gos, she's had a good 4 now in her grip which have all got away, she flown about 10 now in total(one today) and she seems more determined ea

I flew a redtail for about 8 or 9 years. They are great hawks as long as you get them fit. Mine took a wide range of quarry, such as squirrel,rabbit,moorhen,duck and pheasant occasionally as well a

I have never lamped with a hawk, so can't comment on it.

When I flew the redtail, the best way to fly them was from the soar. Redtails seem to do this naturally as its the way they have evolved to hunt in the wild.

But a Harris' Hawk will also soar and you will get some very exciting sport flying them this way. Also you have the other ways of flying them, ie following on or from the fist.

The redtail, Harris' and goshawks can all take hares if that's your thing, unfortunately not all birds will take them and after a rough ride, some will quit.

My friends Albidus/Finnish gos damaged all the tendons in her Hallux on an encounter with a hare, making her useless as a hunting hawk from then on, but that's the risk you take flying hawks on quarry.

Just get a Gos my mate got a brown bird where on 46 kills mainly feather had some fur . Now the nights are pulling in where going to lamp through the week and use the weekend for day time flying . I don't think it's a waste it's just what it is . At least you know your going to get some exciting flights on the weekend .

• Like 1

if i was you go with your belly says .if your heart is in a red tail get one.

But that's just another bird to shift when he finally see's the light & gets a Goshawk! Haha..

but if hes not ready to get a gos yet should go with your belly says,as I was like that when I sold my top harris I was going for a red tail.then a mate foned me about a goshawk that came up and flown it for a season and had two people to watch over me with the gos,and then ordered an untouched bird.

But that's just another bird to shift when he finally see's the light & gets a Goshawk! Haha..

but if hes not ready to get a gos yet should go with your belly says,as I was like that when I sold my top harris I was going for a red tail.then a mate foned me about a goshawk that came up and flown it for a season and had two people to watch over me with the gos,and then ordered an untouched bird.

A little off topic...but maybe not.......that's the unfortunate thing about the uk raptor market as opposed to the U.S catch & release culture......

Birds can be released when the owner gets bored or wants to move on, but in the UK they just go on the merry-go-round of new owners when the owner fancies something new.....

Not knocking anyone.....but you can avoid all that bollocks & just commit to what you really want.......after all, goshawks aren't rocket science are they? They just require 100% commitment....

Edited by Accip74

Only thing though mate i would be lamping the gos 5 days a week. Don't you think that's abit of a waste for them? They make rabbits look easy enough through the day let alone lamping.

If the weather is bad for me threw the day time I always turn to lamping with the gos as I could lamp nearly 5 days a week with the gos and then go out with her at the weekend as your still flying the bird to keep it fit for the pheasant season.as any fit b o p will make the rabbit look easy.the only difference you'll get with a gos you'll is fast flights of the fist at game bird and with a red you'll catch quarry better on the soar.
But let's be honest here........having 5 days a week right through the winter season conducive to flying hawks on the lamp is going to be rare.....unless of course you are flying through high winds, heavy rain & full moons??

I know it's best intentions & all that..........but in my experience, highly unlikely....

Edited by Accip74

I've got a good mate thats flown gosses for years so I will be fine with him as regards to moving on to one of those. Think I need to see a red fly first and see what happens. Another thing swaying me is the pointer pup. Once he's working it will be nice to have a hawk that can take the pheasant and partridge he will hopefully be flushing. Got tI'll next year to sort something out so we will see

Your gos is unlikely to be very successful on wild partridge and pheasant unless its flown fairly regularly to keep it fit.

Although you can do jump ups etc that helps to keep them going, but nowhere near as good as regular slips on gamebirds.

Just another thing to consider....Lol

A little off topic...but maybe not.......that's the unfortunate thing about the uk raptor market as opposed to the U.S catch & release culture......

Birds can be released when the owner gets bored or wants to move on, but in the UK they just go on the merry-go-round of new owners when the owner fancies something new.....

Not knocking anyone.....but you can avoid all that bollocks & just commit to what you really want.......after all, goshawks aren't rocket science are they? They just require 100% commitment....

That is something I totally agree with.

Get the hawk that you want and suits the terrain and quarry you have available.

I find it hard to re-home any one of my hawks and I always check on where they are going.

My old redtail, I gave her to a breeding home on a loan basis.

They can breed from her and sell any young, but they can't sell my redtail on. If anything happens she comes back to me.

I have an imprint gos with a damaged foot that I would do the same, but I haven't found the right home yet.

Your gos is unlikely to be very successful on wild partridge and pheasant unless its flown fairly regularly to keep it fit.

Although you can do jump ups etc that helps to keep them going, but nowhere near as good as regular slips on gamebirds.

Just another thing to consider....Lol

This is what I found, but maybe not so much a fitness issue, rather motivation.....

I failed to put enough game birds in front of my goshawk, with enough early success......although he did make some fine kills on pheasant, he ultimately became wed to rabbits & my dreams of a gamebird hawk drifted away with his interest....

It got to the stage where he would hardly bait at pheasant breaking cover.....

.....that said, he would always put in a real convincing effort on partridge, despite the fact we rarely put them up & had little success.....

There just seems to be something about that marriage of partridge & goshawk....

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 1