German Shorthaired Pointer

Hi,

I am looking at getting a working GSP puppy in the next year that I intend on working on a local shoot for picking up, for use when shooting myself day and night and I would potentially add her into the odd field trial over the summer. I am just wondering if it will get along well with my whippet and if my life will be made difficult.

I currently have a working whippet who I use for lamping. He lives in the house and is a very calm family pet when inside. He gets on really well with other animals and his favorite breed to play with is a working cocker. It is worth mentioning that when a cocker is around the whippet transforms into the most energetic high tempo dog in the world and will not stop playing.

One idea would be that they would potentially be worked together (only from time to time) when lamping as the whippet can course in a few fields and the GSP could retrieve shot rabbits. And for clarity - it would only be the GSP coming with me on the shoot (obviously).

Does anyone have an opinion on owning these two breeds concurrently? Will my life be made difficult? Does anyone have experience of owning these two breeds together?

Thanks

BBB

They are a full on breed mate and will not be as calm as your whippet but if you have the time and patience they make good house dogs.If I were you I would find someone who works and trains the breed near you before you get one

Working trials during the summer field trials are during the shooting season

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I am looking at getting a working GSP puppy in the next year that I intend on working on a local shoot for picking up, for use when shooting myself day and night and I would potentially add her into the odd field trial over the summer. I am just wondering if it will get along well with my whippet and if my life will be made difficult.

I think the answer boils down to how tolerant of a pup your whippet will be. Dogs will be dogs, and the two of them will have a lot to sort out. But, a pup is always a lot of work in the beginning, and takes some adjustment by both human and canine occupants. But they are seldom not fun, right?

But what stands out to me in your query is the fact that you want to get a pointing breed for picking up. Seems to go against the grain. Now, to qualify my statements; I'm in the US, and understand that there are many sporting differences between us. That said, is a pointing breed, even a breed as versatile as a GSP, the right dog for picking up? I'd think you'd want to wait a couple of season, until the dog has a solid, honest point, before doing much picking up. Anyway, just a thought.

• Like 1