Raised Kennels

Guest Navek

Been having a look on acouple of other sites and I've noticed in America it's quiet a big thing to keep terriers / beagles / coon hounds in raised kennels where the floors are either wooden slats or plastic grid flooring ...couple the sites sat there more hygienic for the dogs a there shite and piss go strait yo floor...also said the dogs are better of high up in the winter so they aren't walking round in frozen piss and snow.any lads ever kept there dogs raised of the floor or is it just the lads cross the pond

Most hound kennels have their lodges raised off the ground one way or another, all of my lot are raised off the ground it is always a bit warmer higher up, raising the bed off the floor reduces conductive heat loss through the concrete base and I can pressure wash under the bed daily without worrying about wet bedding

Lot of bulldog owners kennel their dogs this way over there.

I think it works for them in some states where there may be a snake or bug problem but in general them yanks like puttin dogs in rabbit hutches!

They look cold, cramped, un-hygenic and as been said could prove a problem with toes and slats.

I guess some fat arsed yanks are too lazy to bend an shovel shite!

Nah, not for me.

We keep all our dog in raised kennel here in Australia. Summer to protect them from snakes, mainly Tiger snakes here they are very aggressive and deadly. We mow the grass down for quite a way around the kennels and keep poultry as they tend to get in under any bushes around the kennels and scratch around, snakes don't like a lot of movement. Also in summer it gets to 45 plus Celsius in summer so a raised kennel helps with air flow. Ours are made so we can move them around, so in summer under the trees and in winter out to take advantage of the winter sun. We keep the kennel in the pen full of straw , cool in summer and for warmth in winter. Feet and toes are not a worry and cleaned every day and cleaned under the slats they are neat, tidy and no smell. If you are proud of your dogs and proud to show people where you kennel your dogs that says enough for me.

• Like 3

I am convinced raised kennels are the best. It cuts down on worms, fleas and ticks. The dogs are much cleaner. Always dry. The dog house, if insulated properly will keep the dog plenty warm. no kennel is big enough for the dog to be really stimulated and exercised. So the size is a non issue. Many say the dogs are actually more behaviorally stable in the above ground kennels because they feel safe.

Better all around.

I am convinced raised kennels are the best. It cuts down on worms, fleas and ticks. The dogs are much cleaner. Always dry. The dog house, if insulated properly will keep the dog plenty warm. no kennel is big enough for the dog to be really stimulated and exercised. So the size is a non issue. Many say the dogs are actually more behaviorally stable in the above ground kennels because they feel safe.

Better all around.

you got any pictures of your set ups and floor . Surly dogs must hurt there toes feet if they mid judge the slat and there feet fall through the gap..