Shooting Elephants

Not as far as I'm aware now that I've looked at it a bit more in depth. People have bandied about the endangered species wording myself included probably after just hearing it over the years being applied probably incorrectly by the media and others.

No worries, I hope I didn't come across as a wanker. Just wanted to clarify it and my own understanding. :thumbs:

• Like 1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Elephants are NOT endangered.   There are FAR more than half a million. We hunters should not believe the quoted figures that are touted by the anti hunting brigade. It's justt eh same as they do ov

99.9% of folk on here hunt for fun ffs and how do you know that elephant wasn't vermin in that area?...

i think the poisoning 0f 26 elephants by cyanide in zimbabwe is more concerning

I have to say I quite fancy a go at an Elephant, but as Capstick did it. One shot, iron sights, .475 inch (12 mm) bullet. I don't think the rifle would have been that accurate over a distance, so it's a close up shot or nothing. And if you miss, your road pizza. :laugh: Bull Elephant racing towards you in a rage, the Elephants trumpeting would be deafening by the time it was in range. Now it's just you and your quarry, if you miss your dead, if you make the shot, he's dead. If your hearts not racing, your already dead. :laugh:

Capstick didn't take the head shot, instead he went for a 'raking shot to the heart'.

I have the full film of his hunt here.

I know that he is considered by many to be a fraud, but he could write a damn good story and his narration skills are second to none. IMO. he is one of my favourite writers. he was heavily influenced by R Ruark, who is my favourtie writer. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Not as far as I'm aware now that I've looked at it a bit more in depth. People have bandied about the endangered species wording myself included probably after just hearing it over the years being applied probably incorrectly by the media and others.

No worries, I hope I didn't come across as a wanker. Just wanted to clarify it and my own understanding. :thumbs:

Not at all mucker, it's something I've not really looked into even having being interested in mammals in years gone by. I don't think their websites are very good at explaining to laymen such as myself the different classifications etc.

Took a bit of delving into.

I have to say I quite fancy a go at an Elephant, but as Capstick did it. One shot, iron sights, .475 inch (12 mm) bullet. I don't think the rifle would have been that accurate over a distance, so it's a close up shot or nothing. And if you miss, your road pizza. :laugh: Bull Elephant racing towards you in a rage, the Elephants trumpeting would be deafening by the time it was in range. Now it's just you and your quarry, if you miss your dead, if you make the shot, he's dead. If your hearts not racing, your already dead. :laugh:

Capstick didn't take the head shot, instead he went for a 'raking shot to the heart'.

I know that he is considered by many to be a fraud, but he could write a damn good story and his narration skills are second to none. IMO. he is one of my favourite writers. he was heavily influenced by R Ruark, who is my favourtie writer. :thumbs:

Any chance you could put the film up JD?

• Like 2

Any chance you could put the film up JD?

It's an hour long DVD matey.I wouldn't know how to.

Have a look on ebay for Sportmen on Film, capstick series.

He did several films with Ken Wilson. In most of the films Ken is the boyo who's shooting the big game, but Capstick's there to offer sage words of advice and his colourful prose add flavour to the whole film. There's plains game, lion, white rhino, elephant, Buffalo and a Botswana hunt in the series.

• Like 1

A fella I met a few years back is a big game shooter, He hadnt quite finished his new build house and only had a few bits on the wall, its the guns and the man himself that interested me, holding a gun of his he told me he shot a charging elephant at 10 paces with it. Cant remember that it dropeed at 10 paces away or he short it, bull or cow. He just sort of mentioned it, didnt even think about what he said till later, thats got to be about as high adrenalin as life can get?

• Like 2