Shooting Elephants

Elephants are NOT endangered.

There are FAR more than half a million. We hunters should not believe the quoted figures that are touted by the anti hunting brigade. It's justt eh same as they do over here.

There will be less than 500 sport hunted elephant harvested in one year I should imagine. Elephant numbers are growing higher every year but their habitat is shrinking. In areas they are starving to death.

I can't see the problem with less than 1% of the population being harvested, nothing is wasted, the meat is eaten by locals, who, in turn, will probably stop killing 'bush meat' for a few weeks at least.

Don't believe the propaganda people....... :thumbs:

So where do you or we get the truth from then? How do we know which opposing viewpoints are true?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Elephants are NOT endangered.   There are FAR more than half a million. We hunters should not believe the quoted figures that are touted by the anti hunting brigade. It's justt eh same as they do ov

99.9% of folk on here hunt for fun ffs and how do you know that elephant wasn't vermin in that area?...

i think the poisoning 0f 26 elephants by cyanide in zimbabwe is more concerning

I'm sure i heard (R2) that this elephant was a massive tusker, tusks near touching the floor and someone had/has paid a premium to shoot it?

Whilst i totaly agree with JD on the subject, i do feel that an animal that is at prime specimin level, would be better left for none hunters to admire.

Prime specimens of any type quickly become 'prize' specimens for hunters but it would always be better if they are allowed to spread their genes.

Interesting to note that China has recently agreed to ban the trade in ivory http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/sep/26/china-and-us-agree-on-ivory-ban-in-bid-to-end-illegal-trade-globally

Somehow I don't think that this will end the problem at all. I reckon there will always be a demand for such things, whether legitimately obtained or poached.

Elephants are a pest they destroy everything, that's why nobody in Africa gives a toss about this elephant, truth be told if it wasn't for the money they make through hunting and tourism they'd kill them all. The elephant was old enough to of passed any worth while genes on anyway, but the true question I'd be asking is why did nobody know this specimen? Why was he alone? Sounds to me as if he may of been pushed out of somewhere and was living a solitary life, maybe he wasn't as good a specimen as they'd have us believe.

• Like 1

Elephants are NOT endangered.

There are FAR more than half a million. We hunters should not believe the quoted figures that are touted by the anti hunting brigade. It's justt eh same as they do over here.

There will be less than 500 sport hunted elephant harvested in one year I should imagine. Elephant numbers are growing higher every year but their habitat is shrinking. In areas they are starving to death.

I can't see the problem with less than 1% of the population being harvested, nothing is wasted, the meat is eaten by locals, who, in turn, will probably stop killing 'bush meat' for a few weeks at least.

Don't believe the propaganda people....... :thumbs:

So where do you or we get the truth from then? How do we know which opposing viewpoints are true?

obviously the anti sie is the untruth,propagana just being spread ,what purpose would elephants serve now only money.same as save wales,ect

I think as youngsters we had it drummed into us the elephants were endangered by the media etc,

But then if you think about farmers moaning about badgers in a maize crop,then the size of elephants and then how your average native farmer is living,a elephant rampaging through your crops could be the matter between eating and starving.

• Like 2

Elephants are a pest they destroy everything, that's why nobody in Africa gives a toss about this elephant, truth be told if it wasn't for the money they make through hunting and tourism they'd kill them all. The elephant was old enough to of passed any worth while genes on anyway, but the true question I'd be asking is why did nobody know this specimen? Why was he alone? Sounds to me as if he may of been pushed out of somewhere and was living a solitary life, maybe he wasn't as good a specimen as they'd have us believe.

that made me smile .i think humans have done alot more damage in africa than the elephant . .shall we kill them all !!!.

It's got nothing to do with animal numbers, it's to do with how many different niches the land can support. It's pointless having a million Elephants and only 1000 trees to feed them on. The numbers have to be sustained bellow the time it takes their food source to regenerate, or it's good bye Elephants.

A rogue elephant will be killed by locals. No doubt about it.

What the authorities do is sell the culling of the rogue. It seems to be the only solution which works. The money raised by the sale of the cull pays for rangers to do poaching patrols.

• Like 1

A rogue elephant will be killed by locals. No doubt about it.

What the authorities do is sell the culling of the rogue. It seems to be the only solution which works. The money raised by the sale of the cull pays for rangers to do poaching patrols.

In essence, that's it. They are called PAC elephants. the sport hunted ones, the ones on a CITES quota, are different and command a far higher rate. PAC hunts are the cheapest available and the hunter can keep no part of the taken elephant, any ivory is taken by the government,.

The problem facing the elephant, and most of the other animals of the world, is human over-population. But until someone is willing to address this then nothing will improve for our wildlife. No animals are made extinct through over-hunting any more, it is human encroachment and habitat loss that is causing to slide down the slippery slope that will inevitabely lead to the ruination of our once-green planet.

• Like 7

Hmmm. Wonder how much of the £40k paid to shoot this one went to policing poaching, or to helping the local community..., and how much went straight into the pockets of corrupt officials via the game hunting safari company.

most of it in the sky rocket of dodgy officials i will bet on that. very corrupt place is africa !!