Shooting Elephants

What is the point of shooting an elephant for fun. I am the first to admit I enjoy shooting game and vermin, but I do feel there is always another purpose, like eating what I've shot, or reducing the numbers of accepted vermin and so protecting health, agriculture and the environment.

However shooting this elephant seems pointless, unfair and probably required limited skill by the so called 'hunter'.

• Like 1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Elephants are NOT endangered.   There are FAR more than half a million. We hunters should not believe the quoted figures that are touted by the anti hunting brigade. It's justt eh same as they do ov

99.9% of folk on here hunt for fun ffs and how do you know that elephant wasn't vermin in that area?...

i think the poisoning 0f 26 elephants by cyanide in zimbabwe is more concerning

How can an animal be classed as vermin when there are less than an estimated half a million left in the wild on this planet? I guess that the only thing which concerns those who make money from ivory and canned hunting etc are how much 'elephant products' will increase in value once their source has been eliminated forever.

• Like 2

I know a fella from Zimbabwe, and he's not batted an eye lid and neither will the locals over there. It's been going on for years and it's how the country makes money. The morals of such a thing don't come into it, its the way things are done and that's all there is to say.

99.9% of folk on here hunt for fun ffs and how do you know that elephant wasn't vermin in that area?...

Feck, tell me about it. I've a mate over there and he says they're worse than rats. They breed like rabbits and are messy fookers.

You go to the dump and they're all over the place. He knows a fella at work and they were nesting in the house left great big holes in the skirting boards all over the place. If you don't clean the work tops in the kitchen they're out at night slobbering and shitting all over the floor and they go mad for peanuts.

The feckers keep him awake at night when they're in the roof space running over the joists and up the walls.

The upshot is the elephant terriers have a field day, pest contollers are laughing all the way to the bank as the local elephant trap maker died so hey presto no traps anymore.

I can understand why people shoot them. If they ever become an invasive species I know what business I'm going into.

• Like 6

Feck, tell me about it. I've a mate over there and he says they're worse than rats. They breed like rabbits and are messy fookers.

You go to the dump and they're all over the place. He knows a fella at work and they were nesting in the house left great big holes in the skirting boards all over the place. If you don't clean the work tops in the kitchen they're out at night slobbering and shitting all over the floor and they go mad for peanuts.

The feckers keep him awake at night when they're in the roof space running over the joists and up the walls.

The upshot is the elephant terriers have a field day, pest contollers are laughing all the way to the bank as the local elephant trap maker died so hey presto no traps anymore.

I can understand why people shoot them. If they ever become an invasive species I know what business I'm going into.

You had me for the first few lines Brewman.........haha....nice one...;-)

• Like 1

I must admit I'm a big hypocrite as far as hunting is concerned, I hate hunting predators such as big cats with a passion yet would think of nothing whilst hunting a fox.

Easily done mate, I'm the same about some things...........I think if you look at the broad spectrum of hunters, shooters & fisherman, hypocrisy is common place.....

• Like 7

Conservation, only so much food and water for Elephants to live on, once it's gone they starve to death. It costs around £55,000 to shoot one Elephant, that's a lot of money in the pot to look after them, and one less mouth to feed. And the other problem with Elephants is that they can't just pick of a leaf off, the are compelled to destroy the tree the leaf came from, in doing so they destroy their own food source. And who pays for the protection of the Elephant? The Elephant.

• Like 4

Elephants are NOT endangered.

There are FAR more than half a million. We hunters should not believe the quoted figures that are touted by the anti hunting brigade. It's justt eh same as they do over here.

There will be less than 500 sport hunted elephant harvested in one year I should imagine. Elephant numbers are growing higher every year but their habitat is shrinking. In areas they are starving to death.

I can't see the problem with less than 1% of the population being harvested, nothing is wasted, the meat is eaten by locals, who, in turn, will probably stop killing 'bush meat' for a few weeks at least.

Don't believe the propaganda people....... :thumbs:

• Like 17

Lab there was a lot more than me saying the slaying of endangered animals is unethical

Especially when they have to suffer for hours on end after being initially shot either by the wrong calibre weapon ' unsuitable weapon or just a plain

Incapable shot.

:(

No but I do remember you started the last farce about Cecil........I can see this one going the same. Only pulling your leg....it's easy done...?