Pups First Rabbit

Had a walk out with my pup 7 months now and took brock69 and his beddie x whippet to try and get them going both dogs run well on some lamp shy rabbits brock69 dog should of got a few of them she was unlucky but my pup paddy picked up 2 his first kill and retrieved back to hand so well pleased that 3 of the pups catching now jus5 need to drop on a few more bunny's now as they have been thin on the ground just lately atb malc

post-40158-0-89368900-1445006430_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Lamping tends to be all or nothing and what you think might be an easy run could end up in a marathon up and down the hedge. Mine had his first at 7 months and at the back of mind it didn't feel right and then he had an accident anyway so never got the chance to go again for a while anyway. Saw a picture yesterday on facebook of an xray showing the gap between the bones on the front leg of a couple of months pup and a 12 month old as a comparison and after seeing that you can see how you have to be careful.

Next time round if there is one I wont start lamping till about a year and stick to pottering about with the ferrets.

But I was happy when mine nailed his first and it sowed the seed of success for him same as malc here

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

Yeah I understand. Thanks for the reply. It's something I'll have to be careful with and take my time.

my older dog is 6 and a half now he had his first rabbit at 3 and a half months and he had a lot of game put under him and he's still going as strong now my bitch has been out from the same age and she's fine as well and this pup now would of had his first rabbit befor now if the season was about at the same time as his mom and dad allways started them young but we are all diffreñt atb malc
  • Like 1