Several years ago I booked myself in for a nights overtime but last minute cancelled because I just didn't fancy it. Anyway next morning I received a phone call telling me that 2 of our trucks had been involved in an accident resulting in 2 deaths and one serious injury. One of these lorries would have been me had I not cancelled. One of the drivers birthday has just passed and again I can't help but feel guilt which is stupid I know. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Several years ago I booked myself in for a nights overtime but last minute cancelled because I just didn't fancy it. Anyway next morning I received a phone call telling me that 2 of our trucks had been involved in an accident resulting in 2 deaths and one serious injury. One of these lorries would have been me had I not cancelled. One of the drivers birthday has just passed and again I can't help but feel guilt which is stupid I know. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Yes mate , I was working afternoon shifts and my gang always worked overtime getting supplies ready for the next shift, this particular shift we'd had a grueller so I declined the overtime when offered, the management got the nightshift in early there was a nasty accident 1 killed a few lads lost limbs and some that witnessed it never worked again, right shook me up

Edited by Onlyworkmatters

Something very similar happened with me that I wont go into here,and it was a good friend died.

I'd much rather it had been me than him,I went through a phase of regularly dreaming he knocked on my door and it was all somehow a big mistake.

But we can't change things now,just don't waste it.

A good few years ago my good lady was going on a trip. There was a couple of cars going and the car in front was supposed to be the one she was to be travelling in as her friend was driving. For whatever reason she didn't get in and somebody took the place. That car crashed killing the driver and seriously injuring 2 passengers one disabled to this day.

My wife spoke about it to me about some guilt but as I said to her I'm sorry about her friends but I'd rather them not her. I was told that wasn't very nice until I pointed out that I'm not married to them and they're not the mother of my children.

My point being if it was meant to happen it would have but it didn't. Rejoice in who or what you have, I don't know if you have a partner and kids etc but if you do they have you which is better than not.

• Like 1

Can understand your feelings mate.... but.. as others have said.

Fate, god, luck whatever you believe in was on your side that day, it proves you've got to live your life whilst your here!

lost two good friends and 5 were badly injured in a car crash, my mate being an idiot drove back from town pissed up, everybody piled in to his car but I went of with some bird, otherwise id of squeezed in there to. anyway he crashed on the way home one mate was dead at the scene, the mate who was driving was in hospital for months in a coma, they had to keep cutting his scull open to releave the pressure, I couldn't bring myself to even go and visit him, I feel guilty for that. I also, in a strange way, didn't want him to wake up, I no that sounds bad but if you knew him like I did, he wouldn't beable to live with himself knowing what had happened. they turned the machine of after 6 months. I feel guilty for the way I felt at the time, and miss the lads a lot, 2 really good lads lost their lifes and 5 other passengers got badly hurt for the sake of a taxi fair.

makes you think eh?

RIP nathen and ryan

• Like 2