shotgun refusal when should i re- apply

hello

guys i would like some advice, last year i applied for my shotgun certificate and in december was refused the reasons well 10 years ago i had a conviction for affray and did 80hours comunitee service and had suffered from depression, which i had not suffered from since 2002.

now i do want my cert but how long before i should re apply and what do you think my chances are.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wait until  you really know someone before getting to involved with them!

Catapult?? 

Me too mate, I kicked a little ball for a dog the other day as hard as possible and kicked my other foot?‍♂️

Impossible to say, whilst there are guidelines on this all Police forces interpret them in their own way.

Your best bet is to simply ring your local firearms officer/department and ask them!

There is also an appeal option remember!

Deker

The conviction has expired now. The depression thing should be sortable with a letter from your gp. A sgc is a civil right, and the police have to PROVE you are unfit to hold one. Get back in for it, and insist on any further refusal in writing.If it goes that far, give it to a solicitor. Hers a tip, join BASC now. ;)

The conviction has expired now. The depression thing should be sortable with a letter from your gp. A sgc is a civil right, and the police have to PROVE you are unfit to hold one. Get back in for it, and insist on any further refusal in writing.If it goes that far, give it to a solicitor. Hers a tip, join BASC now. ;)

I am with Baldie on this, talk to BASC before anyone else, if you are not a member then talk to your own organisation, if you aint a member of any, tut, tut tut.

as baldie says it's your right SO FIGHT IT

• Like 1

If your a member of Basc? they should take up your case?? we do it for our members at the Scottish Association for Countrysports, remember there is no such thing as a spent conviction while applying for a SG/Firearms certificate, you must disclose all convictions If your not a danger to yourself or the public your entitled to a ticket unless you've been banned by the courts, We've a lad who's a member served 18 months for aassault and despite opposition from the police SACs helped him get his shotgun certificate

Tom

Edited by Foxgun Tom

i got charged with attempted murder then dropped to sec 18 with intent ,yep i went jail ,i been a bad lad in my day not much i aint done ,been to approve school, borstel,yp, and prison more than once ,i went for my sgc :whistling::yes: they said no ...twice :no: i thought feck this iv been a good lad for 13 yrs now so i took it too crown court ..told the judge what a twat i have been ,and iv seen the error of my ways and was going to be no more trouble from me ever ..i now have two shot guns in my gun safe and my fac on its way :D take it to court it cost me nothing as i won the case :yes: i was deppressed like your self the police uesd it against me ,my daughter died at two yrs old fell out of the bed room window ,,who would not be deppressed ,,judge said the same ..the police do not want any body to have a gun in there house if the truth been known ....fight it all the way i say ..go see your doc i say and ask him if your nuts or not :D iv had my guns for over two yrs now and its very hard to keep them ,what with all the dick heads around you that why i never go down the town on the piss if i can help it ..keeping your guns is hard and when there gone there gone for good ..so if you do get your sgc look after it ...

Edited by rob reynolds uk

Dont know about the depression part, thats something that you would need support from your GP on, i had time off work a few years ago with STRESS, that didn't act as a barrier to getting the SGC...but i suppose that all depends on the circumstances and the individual, and their relationship with their doctor.....sorry to hear about your little one Rob, same age my little girl is now, anyone would be depressed in them circumstances.

What i do know is what the law says

section 21 Firearms act 1968....any person who has been sentenced to custody for life or to any form of detention for 3 years or more is prohibited from having any firearms or ammunition in his possesion at any time.

Any person sentenced to any form of detention for between three months and three years is prohibited for five years (beginning on the day of release)

so on the above reckoning Moss your Affray shouldn't count......best see your doctor about the depression and a supporting letter

Compo

I will try to make this short, if your going to appeal against the decision you first need to write a letter to your local crown courts asking for a hearing to appeal against the decision,you will then be contacted by you local firearms officer who will come & visit you to discuss your past & present situation, once he or SHE(equal rites :thumbs: ) has been they will put a report together for the courts, on this they will indicate that they intend to object or not object against your appeal.

You will then be given a court date for the hearing, the police will send you a copy of the report which has been sent to the court before the date, if they intend to object your appeal it could be difficult for you but the judge makes the final decision.

One thing you need to remember in all this, if you take it all the way & lose you are liable for all cost which can be very expensive, but also remember that the appeal can be canceled by you before it gets to court.

What ever you decide to do i wish you good luck :thumbs::thumbs:

after the police have said no to your sgc you have 21 days to appeal against the decision,i told the police i would be taking it to court, my brief did the rest ,my brief told me he did not think i would win the case but i did ..if you lose its not that much money really but if like me you feel strongly about it its the only way the crown court is a very fair court there not daft and dont take sides like the the smaller courts do..going by your police record thats not enough to stop you from having one ..what was you depressed over was it coming off drugs if it was you still have a good chance of getting it ,and how long was you on the anti depression drugs for ??? as it will all go against and for you ... if the truth be known having a sgc carms you down no end any trouble ,even drink driving and they will take it off you ..

Edited by rob reynolds uk

i was depressed through being made redundant, i recently asked the doctor if i could see the letter he sent the police which he did and in big bold writing along the bottom it said do not issue mr **** with a shot gun certificate, i thought he could only give my medical records???

as with the conviction well i said to the police hang on i have a door badge to work the doors so i have passed all your police checks and am no threat but still no