Hancock Dogs

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know why folk are so hung up on getting a genuin 1/2 cross,,or3/4 ect,,,,so what if there's a bit of something else in there....

Understand what you are saying Ray. The one Hancock dog I got left is out of hector (beardie half cross) and is not keen on fox but puts plenty of edible game in my freezer he hunts like a demon takes

That's the thing.... 'I want a genuine half cross, then I know what I'm getting'....except you don't as the parents have not been worked, ergo, you have no idea of what you're going to get.   I've

Posted Images

I had one of him about twenty years ago, beardie border xgreyhound, when all hype was about, took months to even chase a rabbit, was never that keen on them, had no stamina, bit weird and nervy, would hide when it came time to get back in van, but loved foxing. would ignore rabbits when out with terriers and only hunt and mark foxes,put some big strong fox dogs to shame.

I think this is probably the most positive Hancock thread I've ever read on here...by this I mean the nature of the well thought out opinions and arguments (e.g. Ideation and Fuji among others) rather than being pro-Hancock.

I've not had a lurcher for over ten years and my memory may not be too accurate but my first two lurchers were bred by him. The first (bought as a pup) was a first cross beardie x greyhound sired by Remus. She had a very strong hunting instinct but we simply didn't gel...not her fault...not mine...we were just different. The second I bought as an adult and he was from the third litter of 3/4 collie 1/4 greyhounds (Richard x Linnet). He had a great temperament but lacked the bitch's drive.

I also had a collie x whippet which a farmer who also bred racing whippets bred by mating one of her whippets to a Hancock collie (Richard x Katie). She was extremely obedient but had virtually no initiative.

My last lurcher was a kelpie/collie x greyhound and although the collie used was related to some of Hancock's collies (via a chocolate collie called Moss who featured in an article in the Shooting News by Daergi) his temperament and working ability were very different. Despite my kennel blindness for kelpies I'd argue that the improvement was just as much down to the nature of the collie used as to the added kelpie and because the collie was being used because of its working ability.

• Like 2

i bought pup off a member on here years ago,3/4 grey 1/8 beardie 1/8 border,i had it for 15 months cracking bitch 26tts and very very quick,you be none the wiser it was one of his other than the obvious look about it,never gave me any problems picked as much up in the short time i had her as any other dog i seen,good lamping bitch on the bunnies till some snide c**t had her away

As far as I'm aware Hancock's do not work their dogs, so that being the case, you don't know how far back in the pedigree you have to go to find the working lines. It's a no-brainer that pups from genuine working parents on both sides are more likely to be good workers themselves, but all dogs need to be taken out and given the chance to see stuff and develop whatever potential they may have. Ideally, pups will have an older more experienced dog to show them the ropes and what the owner requires, allied to a decent owner who has the patience, time and skill to train a dog and let him develop.

The best thing about Hancock lurchers in my view is that you know the cross you're getting, 5/8 greyhound 3/8 collie(bearded or smooth or mixed), 3/4 greyhound 1/4 collie, or a reversal of these with the collie blood being the dominant factor. So if you want a particular cross or coat type you can get it. I, myself would rather breed my own, but plenty do buy from Hancock's as they breed multiple litters every year. I wouldn't buy from them as I think they're basically puppy breeders and nothing more, but good luck to anyone that does. With all pups you pay your money and take your chance.

I bought a bitch last year, who's coming up to a year old and she's 1/2 Donegal hill collie, 1/4 Kelpie and 1/4 Australian Cattle dog, all working lines bred to work cattle. She's turned out to be a cracking bitch already on rabbits (which is what I'm interested in) and has pace and a great nose. In time I will breed from her as she has what I want from a working dog.

• Like 5

As far as I'm aware Hancock's do not work their dogs, so that being the case, you don't know how far back in the pedigree you have to go to find the working lines. It's a no-brainer that pups from genuine working parents on both sides are more likely to be good workers themselves, but all dogs need to be taken out and given the chance to see stuff and develop whatever potential they may have. Ideally, pups will have an older more experienced dog to show them the ropes and what the owner requires, allied to a decent owner who has the patience, time and skill to train a dog and let him develop.

The best thing about Hancock lurchers in my view is that you know the cross you're getting, 5/8 greyhound 3/8 collie(bearded or smooth or mixed), 3/4 greyhound 1/4 collie, or a reversal of these with the collie blood being the dominant factor. So if you want a particular cross or coat type you can get it. I, myself would rather breed my own, but plenty do buy from Hancock's as they breed multiple litters every year. I wouldn't buy from them as I think they're basically puppy breeders and nothing more, but good luck to anyone that does. With all pups you pay your money and take your chance.

I bought a bitch last year, who's coming up to a year old and she's 1/2 Donegal hill collie, 1/4 Kelpie and 1/4 Australian Cattle dog, all working lines bred to work cattle. She's turned out to be a cracking bitch already on rabbits (which is what I'm interested in) and has pace and a great nose. In time I will breed from her as she has what I want from a working dog.

sounds handy.

i bought pup off a member on here years ago,3/4 grey 1/8 beardie 1/8 border,i had it for 15 months cracking bitch 26tts and very very quick,you be none the wiser it was one of his other than the obvious look about it,never gave me any problems picked as much up in the short time i had her as any other dog i seen,good lamping bitch on the bunnies till some snide c**t had her away

Bet bitch was pleased to get away from you anyway after throwing a pint of beer over her lol

• Like 1

Bet bitch was pleased to get away from you anyway after throwing a pint of beer over her lol

ffs id forgotten about that :laugh:

Few years ago now but was funny

Few years ago now but was funny

gavins dogs fault,made me jump...............twice :laugh:

I don't have a huge experience of Hancock dogs. . . . . but for what it's worth, here's my tuppence worth.

Ive only seen (I think) three dogs from his kennels work. The one was a long time ago, and I helped a lad enter it. I don't remember much, but it was a half decent dog. The other two, I have had a lot more to do with, and seem come on. Both are owned by friends, and members on here, and both have posted about their dogs in this thread.

Now I will say this, both dogs look to have all of the right bits in all of the right places. They seem to be able to do everything a lurcher should. But there is something missing, hard to put your finger on quite, but that thing that just makes an animal wed to it's work. They seem to lack that drive that makes an dog know from day one that it wants to chase and catch game. Sure, they will chase, but they don't seem to 'want' it quite the same as one would hope.

It's not a very big survey, so it may well be miles off the mark, but I really think that its got something to do with being bred off parents that whilst they may be well put together etc etc, have not been out hunting, catching and killing. You can breed a dog that looks just like a lurcher, you can do that without ever running anything. But its a lot harder to breed that heart, soul and mind into a beast, without testing its attitude and mindset in the field.

Obviously some dogs will be very good, as said, if you breed enough collie and greyhounds together, you will always end up with some decent dogs. But it's not how i'd do it, and its not where i'd go to get a pup.

If I wanted a collie x, i'd always go for some kind of line bred collie lurcher thing. And if I was desperate for a 1st x, i'd go and breed my own. I'm lucky enough to have access to a wide range of very handy collies. . . . . . so it'd just be finding the running dog blood. If I was going to do it, I know of a very handy collie that regularly kills foxes, as well as working 1000's of sheep, and I know some very good kelpie x collie dogs that have a good bit of bite to them. I'd stick one of these over either a working grew, or if possible a working greyhound. But you've got to get the right kind of collie!

Just my thoughts.

and if you decide to go ahead with that i would be the first one down for a pup ;) keep iz posted ;)
  • Like 2

I don't have a huge experience of Hancock dogs. . . . . but for what it's worth, here's my tuppence worth.

Ive only seen (I think) three dogs from his kennels work. The one was a long time ago, and I helped a lad enter it. I don't remember much, but it was a half decent dog. The other two, I have had a lot more to do with, and seem come on. Both are owned by friends, and members on here, and both have posted about their dogs in this thread.

Now I will say this, both dogs look to have all of the right bits in all of the right places. They seem to be able to do everything a lurcher should. But there is something missing, hard to put your finger on quite, but that thing that just makes an animal wed to it's work. They seem to lack that drive that makes an dog know from day one that it wants to chase and catch game. Sure, they will chase, but they don't seem to 'want' it quite the same as one would hope.

It's not a very big survey, so it may well be miles off the mark, but I really think that its got something to do with being bred off parents that whilst they may be well put together etc etc, have not been out hunting, catching and killing. You can breed a dog that looks just like a lurcher, you can do that without ever running anything. But its a lot harder to breed that heart, soul and mind into a beast, without testing its attitude and mindset in the field.

Obviously some dogs will be very good, as said, if you breed enough collie and greyhounds together, you will always end up with some decent dogs. But it's not how i'd do it, and its not where i'd go to get a pup.

If I wanted a collie x, i'd always go for some kind of line bred collie lurcher thing. And if I was desperate for a 1st x, i'd go and breed my own. I'm lucky enough to have access to a wide range of very handy collies. . . . . . so it'd just be finding the running dog blood. If I was going to do it, I know of a very handy collie that regularly kills foxes, as well as working 1000's of sheep, and I know some very good kelpie x collie dogs that have a good bit of bite to them. I'd stick one of these over either a working grew, or if possible a working greyhound. But you've got to get the right kind of collie!

Just my thoughts.

try max hardcore jai he has access to some of the top greyhound blood around and will give genuine advice and knows is stuff if thats the route you wanted to go down
  • Like 2