Ferrets For Ratting

Do many people use ferrets for ratting these days?

I used to do a fair bit a few seasons back and then a few lads started to give me a hand but their dogs weren't broken to ferrets.... so to keep my ferrets safe we used smokers, then 10years and a few generations of ferrets down the road and my ferrets, although they are pretty handy rabbiters, they really aren't into getting bitten!

So basically im planning ahead and wondering if theres anyone with any tidy little rat munching jills out there planning a litter in the spring?

Cheers for reading folks!

I've pondered the same question HoS.

Is there anyone out there that thinks 'to hell with smokers and their noise and fumes' and settles over a hole all quiet like, watching as the Jill's tail goes all bottle brush before she bravely squeezes into the dark. The hard bitten tyke, trembling with excitement for a sudden flash of rat?

Fecking hell, i've just gone all DBP! :)

• 2 months later...

I had a hob who was cracking on rats when he was less of a ...... Well less of a hob haha no chance of his arse going down a rat hole now. I still use 1 of my girls now and then too. Should have a litter from them in spring. Cant make any promises though.......

• 2 weeks later...

Do you's boys still use a collar when putting a Jill down rat holes?or is it too tight?ive got a wee job in a garden to get rid of some rats.im going to try bolt them for my dog.ive used ferrets to shift rats from under sheds etc but I've never put them down the holes.