Longnetting Foliage

pie-eater

they can be used and set just like a long net in any length on pins or poles. but they can be a handful to handle and the devils own job to get stuff out off!

one of the best game trammels ive ever used was from TC on hear he will be along shortly hopefuly...

• Like 1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been doing it for years, great sport with a pointer. Instead of surrounding the patch try and guess where the rabbit is going to run too and see if you can cut it off with a smaller net. I used to use

Gave it a try tonight after work. Small clump of dense brambles. I had a 25 yarder on me but just ran out 8 or 9 where I thought a rabbit might sneak across into the wood. Left the dog do his own thi

The thing with nets is if you can set a net anywhere rabbits travel you can catch them. Don't be afraid to try different things, some will work and some won't but unless you try you will never know.

What's the longest, optimal length for a trammel net? I been thinking about this for last few weeks, using trammels with dogs during day, do trammels goo on end pins or how do you carry em? I may have to try a couple and see if they compare to long net

Square or Diamond??? thats the question :laugh: I use both square and diamond walled nets from 5-25 yards, perfect killing tool. I dont leave home without a couple when im out for a days ferreting.

Depends on where you want to use them, if permissions granted use them pre-set on poles from a little mooching basket :whistling:

or if your hopping a fence or two, hank it up in your coat pocket and have a few hazel pegs up yir sleeve. you can use a purse net at each end to keep the tension to the walls. You'll need a longer peg than normal, this all depending on the height of the outer walls, you need to keep the square walls tight. :thumbs:

They weigh a little more than a standard longnet, however Netrigger does a cracking lightweight trammel :yes: drop him a PM i'm sure he'll look after you.

Edited by NELS0N

What's the longest, optimal length for a trammel net? I been thinking about this for last few weeks, using trammels with dogs during day, do trammels goo on end pins or how do you carry em? I may have to try a couple and see if they compare to long net

Square or Diamond??? thats the question :laugh: I use both square and diamond walled nets from 5-25 yards, perfect killing tool. I dont leave home without a couple when im out for a days ferreting.

Depends on where you want to use them, if permissions granted use them pre-set on poles from a little mooching basket :whistling:

or if your hopping a fence or two, hank it up in your coat pocket and have a few hazel pegs up yir sleeve. you can use a purse net at each end to keep the tension to the walls. You'll need a longer peg than normal, this all depending on the height of the outer walls, you need to keep the walls tight. :thumbs:

They weigh a little more than a standard longnet, however Netrigger does a cracking lightweight trammel :yes: drop him a PM i'm sure he'll look after you.

square for game dimond for fish.. i dont like the small half mesh the dimond trammel gives you for game

• Like 2

or if your hopping a fence or two, hank it up in your coat pocket and have a few hazel pegs up yir sleeve. you can use a purse net at each end to keep the tension to the walls. You'll need a longer peg than normal, this all depending on the height of the outer walls, you need to keep the walls tight. :thumbs:

square for game dimond for fish.. i dont like the small half mesh the dimond trammel gives you for game

Each to there own mate, there's pro's and cons for each, this is a debate that'll never be settled IMO.

They both kill thousands of rabbits a year up and down the country and i doubt many escape a well rigged trammel. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Had my first attempt at night time longnetting last night, didn't catch anything but was nice being out there anyway. I probably went way to early, got there at 9. I was happy enough to get my quikset out then back in in the dark without getting in a tangle lol. Ill try later next time maybe about 11.

• Like 3

Had my first attempt at night time longnetting last night, didn't catch anything but was nice being out there anyway. I probably went way to early, got there at 9. I was happy enough to get my quikset out then back in in the dark without getting in a tangle lol. Ill try later next time maybe about 11.

Nothing wrong with early I went lamping a while ago the moon was up just had heavy showers and then turned into a drizzle and at half eight there was rabbits way out in the fields and in places you wouldn't normally see then. On paper I shouldn't have seen nothing but we had 3 in the first field and was home just after 9. So you never can tell

• Like 2

The problem with rabbits feeding after dark is that there are so many variables that can interfere with their feeding patterns. Heavy rain the night before can make the rabbits break their feeding pattern. Good dry nights for a few nights before can make them only feed for a short while. A fox travelling the set before you get there. These variables while frustrating, as you cannot ever take them all into consideration, are part and parcel of what makes long netting so fascinating.

Even though we try and work it out it will only ever be a best guess scenario. One trick I have learned though and it does work 90% of the time and is the only time I will go out when it is raining. When we have a storm period and had heavy rain for a few nights, the next day it gets dark and the weather is fine, they tend to come out to feed early. Over the years I have found if it comes to rain once they are out feeding they will stay out and have a good belly full before going back to ground.

TC

• Like 6

All worth entering in one's hunting knowledge base.There's that learning curve again.

;) That learning curve never stops. I have forgotten how many times in years gone by that I thought 'I have this sussed' only to be made look foolish by the humble bunny. I looked for patterns in feeding, early, late sets etc: Tried to predict when a particular set would be productive, given the weather conditions. Now and again one would be successful and I would think, 'yes I've cracked it' only for it never to work again. :icon_redface:

TC

• Like 3

All worth entering in one's hunting knowledge base.There's that learning curve again.

;) That learning curve never stops. I have forgotten how many times in years gone by that I thought 'I have this sussed' only to be made look foolish by the humble bunny. I looked for patterns in feeding, early, late sets etc: Tried to predict when a particular set would be productive, given the weather conditions. Now and again one would be successful and I would think, 'yes I've cracked it' only for it never to work again. :icon_redface:

TC

Rabbits are fly little buggers, i doubt man will ever have the upper hand in this fascinating sport of ours. We cant catch them all, and long may it continue.

Edited by NELS0N
  • Like 3