Help With Affordable Barf Diet

i used to feed my dogs raw. i now have 4 dogs and have switched to very basic kibble. i found feeding multiple dogs a raw diet was not only expensive for me, but due to the dogs pecking order my bitch was getting greedy with what she was eating and the puppies weren't getting what they needed without supervision. not to mention they need feeding more often. they do still get raw meat and veg in their diet but i drop it to them rather than leave it in a bowl. I'm looking into going back to raw food when they are a bit older, but would like advice on cheap, nutrient rich options for feeding whats now a small pack?

feeding dogs together without supervision, you're mad.

Go and get friendly with the local butcher. Ask him to save you chicken cages and any waste with meat on. Lamb ribs are good as are spine neck etc. Try and avoid supporting lamb bones such as shin bone etc, as they splitter.

Offer to put a couple of quid in the charity box or buy something for yourself. It keeps the butcher happy and he will go out of his way some what to help you.

Failing that go catch yourself meat :thumbs:

• Like 1

You don't say how old your pups are, but puppies need a good diet far more than an adult dog: they need the very best when they are growing. The state of the adult reflects how well it was fed whilst growing: strong bones etc. Feeding cheap kibble to pups is false economy.

I never let any of my dogs feed unsupervised, ever. It should only take a few moments to feed a heap of dogs. If the bitch is eating the pups' food then shut her away while you feed. Food shouldn't be left down for dogs, especially if they are all kennelled together. It can encourage bullying as well as greed.

Chicken wings from supermarkets are dead cheap. Or can you not find a dog meat supplier who can deliver to you? Often cheaper to buy that way. Buy a second hand freezer to store meat in? I've picked freezers up from Ebay for £20 in the past couple of years. Butcher too, as leegreen suggested. If no local butcher will oblige you try going further afield, is you have transport that is.

You don't even have to feed raw with every meal for the dogs to benefit. Kibble in morning, then when you are there to supervise, a chunk of rabbit carcase or other wild game.

• Like 2

Do a local Google search for fallen stock/knacker yards they will be only to happy for you to take away flesh f.o.c. The biggest problem you'll have is not being able to take as much as they'd like. BARF diet is not only the best to feed its also free it's a total no brainer if you ask me.

thanks guys i shall talk to the local butcher. dry food really isn't an issue feeding all the dogs together and they all happily graze out of the same bowl throughout the day. They all get fed good meat and veg in the evening so I'm not to worried about a lack of nutrition more cutting out potentially bad food from their diet without them ending up on a calorific deficit. the puppies are 4 month old terriers

Do a local Google search for fallen stock/knacker yards they will be only to happy for you to take away flesh f.o.c. The biggest problem you'll have is not being able to take as much as they'd like. BARF diet is not only the best to feed its also free it's a total no brainer if you ask me.

You have to be licenced to take food from the knacker man. Unless they have their own incinerator, then you may get some through the back door and no body likes to take meet through the back door :laugh: .

I know a knacker man and he said that they would miss a leg off a horse. Every thing needs to be signed and certificated.