Further Update On New Lurcher Association

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Call it sad if you like. . . . . . but to me, that just sounds like the defence of someone who doesn't like constructive criticism! These kind of bodies NEED to be questioned, so that answers can be f

I get it now... I think!! 2 groups, 1 new 1 old.. That can't get along and work as one for whatever the reasons may be?? ( perhaps we've ran out of acronyms ??)...So now the lurcher owners decide who

This younger generation (and they're not all young either) see what they do as a form of rebellion, or they're just that thick that they don't realise the implications of of what the do and say. They

Posted Images

i dont know .maybe im just old fashioned ,and tend to keep what i do to myself , i think the younger generation of lurcher lads just dont realise or dont care ,they jst carnt help but post pictures and write ups of there exploits they have and still do just fuel the fire for antis to latch on to. how the hell do you educate these numptys? they seem to think they will gain some kind of credability by admitting to poaching ,coursing , and so on ,,, beyond me !! so in a way its the enemy within ..

• Like 6

This younger generation (and they're not all young either) see what they do as a form of rebellion, or they're just that thick that they don't realise the implications of of what the do and say. They are also very selfish as they don't care that their actions affect everyone who works a lurcher, and to my mind they are not true hunters anyway as they have no respect for their quarry. These people are deliberately flouting the law (unjust though it is). If we want lurcher work to be accepted by the powers that be as a legitimate and honorable activity; if we want to change the landowners' perception of lurcher men, and if we want the government to see us as anything other than criminals, we MUST do this, or ultimately risk losing the few legal activities we have.

Intelligent use of the legal wording has shown that we can operate within those tight parameters.

We must also publicly distance ourselves, and condemn those who continue to act in an inhumane manner towards quarry and game. For example, if the mainstream of a particular ethnic community do not publicly condemn those that terrorise others, the general perception will be that the community support such activities.

We must no longer allow fear, apathy, or a 'can't do anything to change it' attitude to wear us down. While many lurcher owners are not 'club' people, wouldn't it be good if we felt we had an organisation to truly represent us, whether or not we work our dogs. Not just an organisation that tolerates a few of us on the outskirts of their main body, but one that has the cause of the lurcher at its heart. But we have to do our bit as well, and yes, try to educate the numpties as much of what they do is done through ignorance. Those we cannot educate we must ostracise very publicly.

• Like 11

This younger generation (and they're not all young either) see what they do as a form of rebellion, or they're just that thick that they don't realise the implications of of what the do and say. They are also very selfish as they don't care that their actions affect everyone who works a lurcher, and to my mind they are not true hunters anyway as they have no respect for their quarry. These people are deliberately flouting the law (unjust though it is). If we want lurcher work to be accepted by the powers that be as a legitimate and honorable activity; if we want to change the landowners' perception of lurcher men, and if we want the government to see us as anything other than criminals, we MUST do this, or ultimately risk losing the few legal activities we have.

Intelligent use of the legal wording has shown that we can operate within those tight parameters.

We must also publicly distance ourselves, and condemn those who continue to act in an inhumane manner towards quarry and game. For example, if the mainstream of a particular ethnic community do not publicly condemn those that terrorise others, the general perception will be that the community support such activities.

We must no longer allow fear, apathy, or a 'can't do anything to change it' attitude to wear us down. While many lurcher owners are not 'club' people, wouldn't it be good if we felt we had an organisation to truly represent us, whether or not we work our dogs. Not just an organisation that tolerates a few of us on the outskirts of their main body, but one that has the cause of the lurcher at its heart. But we have to do our bit as well, and yes, try to educate the numpties as much of what they do is done through ignorance. Those we cannot educate we must ostracise very publicly.

i just think the damage is done penny . the true old fashioned lurcherman ..woman will just keep doing what they have done for the past x amount of years and keep it to themselves ,they realised some time ago you just carnt educate pork!!!.

i just think the damage is done penny . the true old fashioned lurcherman ..woman will just keep doing what they have done for the past x amount of years and keep it to themselves ,they realised some time ago you just carnt educate pork!!!.

Thats where a code of conduct will defend us. At present we have no defence.

If the club gets recognition and everything goes to plan then there is a defence for the genuine lurcher person.

• Like 4

My personal opinion is this: that those who openly break the law with no thought for the consequences and how it may affect the lurcher population and its owners as a whole, should be ostracised, and if possible, educated as to the problems they pose us as a community. By community I mean those who are striving to improve the general perception of those who work their dogs. We are proud to work our dogs in a time-honoured tradition. We are not arrogant. There is a big difference between pride and arrogance. The law as it stands is unjust, we all know this, but openly baiting those in power will serve us no good in the end.

• Like 1

The thing is, there are many folk who do break the laws on hunting, and do so in a respectful, and quiet manner. But effectively the 'LAGBI' is saying that these people are damaging the lurcher world, and that they wish to distance themselves from such lurcher owners. If it all came on top for me, and I was caught, doing something that broke the law, and also broke those codes of conduct, even if I myself could hold my head up and say what I was doing was right by me and my morals, just unfortunately against a stupid and unjust law.. . . . . . i'm not sure "LAGBI" would want to stand up for me. . . . . for fear of being 'tarred' with the brush of law breaking.

So I guess what I'm saying, is that while I wholeheartedly support this idea in principle. . . . . I'm not sure how truly representative it will be.

• Like 1

What about lads with no permission and do a bit of poaching, would these be allowed in this club or are they being distanced?

wtf would you admit to poaching ? makes no sence atall to me do you get a badge of honour for admitting it/or is it like the boy scouts you sew a badge on your shirt sleeve madness//////////////

• Like 2

What about lads with no permission and do a bit of poaching, would these be allowed in this club or are they being distanced?

wtf would you admit to poaching ? makes no sence atall to me do you get a badge of honour for admitting it/or is it like the boy scouts you sew a badge on your shirt sleeve madness//////////////
Who said anything about admitting anything? This thread is about putting questions out there to be answered. Not everybody is savvy when it comes to some stuff.

Who said anything about admitting anything? This thread is about putting questions out there to be answered. Not everybody is savvy when it comes to some stuff.

What about lads with no permission and do a bit of poaching your words not mine

What about lads with no permission and do a bit of poaching your words not mine
So everybody who runs a Lurcher as permission to do so, now that would be nice.

You know exactly what I meant you just tried to twist it.