This topic has probably been done a few times over on here, but I would like a few opinions on the matter. I get a range of beef, chicken and pork from a wholesaler for the mutts. Beef is mostly sirlions, ribeye and rump, all vacuum packed. Chicken comes in fillets in the large black plastic tubs. The pork is pork loin vacuum packed also. I was never too keen on the pork so the other lads take it for their dogs and haven't had any issues to date. At the moment my freezers are coming down with pork, I happened to mention it to a well educated friend that has been into dogs a lot longer than me, their is very little he doesn't know or hasn't came across!

He told me raw Pork for dogs is a No No? Answers on a postcard please. Obviously it's not processed and is on the loin and frozen so is it ok to use?

Edited by THE GENERAL

Theoreticaly,..feeding pork flesh,.. should not be a problem,...however,..unless you are a pig farmer with copious amounts of dead stock at your dsposal,..the average lurcher owner is unlikely to have access to complete carcases....so,.one's experience is usualy restricted to 'pig's heads and splintering leg bones,'... :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd

As said above I don't think it does them any harm. Meat is meat after all.

I feed chicken, turkey, duck, pheasant, horse, beef, venison and lamb in all forms. So I won't refuse the odd bit of pork when it crops up.

I get lb bags of mixed meat from a butcher a few mile away. They are a right mixture. Any waste plus whatever has dropped on the floor.

Some weeks there are pork chops and sausages in there. Dogs enjoy them and stools are fine.

Fed pig spines to my dogs for a good while and no side affects at all,give the odd pig head but take the jaw bones away when they get eaten down so the dogs aren't grinding their teeth against the pig teeth as it were..

My dog gets pigs ears, feet, tongue & heart along with occasional pork mince & other bits & bobs as it comes up. This is all fed as a balanced diet with tripe, beef, chicken, bone & pulped vege/fruit etc etc what could be wrong with that?

Don't forgot, a lot of folk believe pork is an unhealthy meat for humans as well ......which when consumed in a balanced diet is also unfounded imo.

Edited by Accip74

My dogs get fed pleanty of raw pork, mostly loin cut offs, ribs racks, ears and heads no problems. 1/2 head or a full one will keep a good size lurcher quiet for a long time, i had one that would eat the lot, but he coulnt do feck all with the pig jaw bone!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies lads. It's mostly full pork loins I have so ill cut it into steaks and feed it along with meal. I'll see how it goes. Trial and error is the best way, I'll try them on small amounts for the first few days to see how things are. It's hard to not listen to someone you know has a lot more knowledge than you.

I haven't been on this part of the site for a while and apparently I'm doing it all wrong !

I feed beef,lamb, chicken and plenty of pork scraps, I get off cuts from whatever the local slaughter house has been de boning. I mix it up with Dr Johns which also gets slated and I've got no complaints, all my terriers look well and not a single one is under weight or has the shits.

• Like 2

I haven't been on this part of the site for a while and apparently I'm doing it all wrong !

I feed beef,lamb, chicken and plenty of pork scraps, I get off cuts from whatever the local slaughter house has been de boning. I mix it up with Dr Johns which also gets slated and I've got no complaints, all my terriers look well and not a single one is under weight or has the shits.

Who said you where doing it all wrong? Personally my opinion and anyone I know on doctor johns is that it's shit. If your dogs are grand on it then good for you but id say the fact your feeding the beef etc along with it would be the reason why your dogs are in good order. When it comes to meal/nuts and you feed a certain weight to a dog and the dog is passing out the same weight or close to it the other end in my opinion there's very little to none nutritional value in it therefore it's shite.
  • Like 1

My terriers can go weeks without the flesh mate and they still hold condition and weight.

What I find is you can get any biscuit to hold condition on one or two in the yard but you'll never usually hold it on all of them, Dr Johns keeps it on all of mine. I get what your saying about the flesh and I agree but I can get beef by the ton and I still like to mix it up for them.

Like you say it's what ever works for that particular yard.

My terriers can go weeks without the flesh mate and they still hold condition and weight.

What I find is you can get any biscuit to hold condition on one or two in the yard but you'll never usually hold it on all of them, Dr Johns keeps it on all of mine. I get what your saying about the flesh and I agree but I can get beef by the ton and I still like to mix it up for them.

Like you say it's what ever works for that particular yard.

None have ever had the shits on Dr Johns or shit more than natural.