1St Season Mistakes ?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only thing I will not accept is cowardice, once they've made the mental decision that things are to much for them and they don't like the sharp end there's no coming back. I don't mean they walke

most terriers that I have seen stay im empty earths have been owned and worked by hunt terriermen, where there is a fox to ground every time the dog is entered...obviously they get used to expecting s

if this is meant for me Glynn then let me say the dog was keen and not hurt or cowed down , it's just the place was unknown to me and more sprawling than I thought . He was given the run around and ma

No pup ,no matter how good a prospect, will get on with the job like a reliable worker. So when you have whips keeping back a pack of hounds and maybe a field of horses standing then trying to further a pups education is a big NO. You've a job to do.

You could try it alright but if it turned into a delayed affair you might be asked not to bring a terrier again.

You'd also be making yourself look amateurish too.

As was said already, why take the chance ?

• Like 2

If you've got a working relationship with the huntsman and things are going well in the field it's easy enough to be left to get on with the job at your own discretion. Or you could just move to Wales where the rule "if it gets in it gets killed" prevails.

• Like 2

No pup ,no matter how good a prospect, will get on with the job like a reliable worker. So when you have whips keeping back a pack of hounds and maybe a field of horses standing then trying to further a pups education is a big NO. You've a job to do.

You could try it alright but if it turned into a delayed affair you might be asked not to bring a terrier again.

You'd also be making yourself look amateurish too.

As was said already, why take the chance ?

Exactly Neil. Not all huntsmen realise how difficult the job a terrier has underground to get the job done and think its a case of terrier in fox out.hounds tend to get preference over terrier work. As Said before no need to put ur reputation on the line with a young inexperienced terrier no matter how much promise its showing.
  • Like 3

Surley some pups would be different to others tho lads some pups would just ignore all that and get the job done but some would be a bit more in their shell?

Its as much about the terrier man as the dog, no one wants to look a coont, no matter what relationship you have with the huntsman

Cheers, D.

• Like 2

Same as cargol give and take both ways if it takes a little longer for a pup he respects that and enjoys seeing a pup get the job done

just as much as I enjoy seeing young hounds enter.ive seen some huntsman talk to their terrier lads like dirt I dont think I could put up with that just to work the dogs.

• Like 3