1St Season Mistakes ?

I think the term is box bound goat .Out the box in a hole ,back in the box .What I hate is a terrier jumping out the hole when breaking in ,a sign of things to come as this is when things usually hot up a bit .I'm not one for giving up on a well bred terrier but this does my head in .

• Like 2

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only thing I will not accept is cowardice, once they've made the mental decision that things are to much for them and they don't like the sharp end there's no coming back. I don't mean they walke

most terriers that I have seen stay im empty earths have been owned and worked by hunt terriermen, where there is a fox to ground every time the dog is entered...obviously they get used to expecting s

if this is meant for me Glynn then let me say the dog was keen and not hurt or cowed down , it's just the place was unknown to me and more sprawling than I thought . He was given the run around and ma

Dilly, as you say cowardness...thats for me as 'finished' other little pickings can be worked on by both man and dog. One thing you can't put into a terrier is spunk iv found. If he has no spunk in him theres feckall anyone can do. Foxdropper yes a box dog is another name called for that type

.be fecked a terrier that messes around cam put hours on a day for no reason at all and is seriously frustrating

Feck that! Any other first season mistakes people have picked up on? Lads...professional boxers make mistakes...its something you have to deal with and work on on times. A mistake is a mistake....its when it starts becoming a habit its no longer a mistake.

• Like 4

Biggest mistake is two much to soon,you can ruin them with one dig, did it often when I first started,first season softly shortly, was you've over matched them, it's your fault don't be blame the dog you are the failure

if this is meant for me Glynn then let me say the dog was keen and not hurt or cowed down , it's just the place was unknown to me and more sprawling than I thought . He was given the run around and made 1st season puppy mistakes I can live with that . If the dog have spewed proper Youre right I would've classed myself the failure and I wouldn't of blamed the dog either !
  • Like 5

That's the way to be Glyn, and even some of these good uns can turn out bad, but sense from the owner, and good experience nowadays. Thing that would get me though is some known dog's, i mean well hard one's the lads i knew had young and tough starts and too much work but the never jibbed, and hear the same of other ones known in later decades working through tough and long life, but The probably not as strong dog's as older ones that we saw, and i mean of a dealer

got a young Lakeland and last season I put her in a drain what was marked and she bolted first one and held the second, so I finished her on that note as she was just about year old , and not having much choice in the box at the time , not ideal but thought she could cope with the job and she did. dug a dog out of a big earth last week and wanted a dog too hold the quarry and this lakey , I thought ideal just too let her hold it there until needed , as she has hell of a jaw on her as I found trying too part her from another bitch , anyway other dog was lifted and put her in , thinking boom , and she just dug at the entrance , I encouraged her and of course she came away , but I know if it was there she would of held it ,.......but raynard pushed back in the hole and I was a little shown up , and the softer dog was entered and pushed on a couple of meters and done the job until dug too ,.anyway that was a mistake swapping dogs , frustrating as I know if it was just inside the hole she would of just held it ,.......so very frustrating for me , but too be fair she hasn't been dug too and she is young , and knowing that she is no coward ,she will mix , but she divered at the entrance instead of pushing on , it hasn't done her no favours but I will give her a good crack of the whip , and let her rattle around a few big places , early days , frustrating but that's terriers

I see it like this everything apart form cowardice is a learning curve a lad who's good and outs time in with his dogs can guide them threw and correct most problems this is a reason I try em young to see what I am working with I will over look anything in the first season aslong as ther keen

• Like 2

No marshman,not directed at you unless you have f****d up more directed at my f**k up

I apologise mate ! I've f****d up in the past mate and constantly monitor myself probably more than what I care to say lol . It's a fine line with a youngster between success and failure .
  • Like 1

Often when hounds mark to ground or when extra few lads are out for a days digging there can be alot of extra pressure and activity around the earth. Huntsmen saying how long more etc etc. IMO these are not ideal conditions for starting a young terrier.if I can I usually try to start a young terrier out on my own or just with another digging mate.it gives young terrier plenty of time and it can concentrate on the job at hand then rather than hounds and men milling around the earth.

• Like 4