1St Season Mistakes ?

Alright lads I've got a young dog here that I've a couple of digs to and he's done well flying in fact . Now I entered him the other day and I think the job might've of been to much him in hindsight . He's got plenty of time with me I'm in no rush But lads what 1st season mistakes won't you tolerate and what will you tolerate ?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only thing I will not accept is cowardice, once they've made the mental decision that things are to much for them and they don't like the sharp end there's no coming back. I don't mean they walke

most terriers that I have seen stay im empty earths have been owned and worked by hunt terriermen, where there is a fox to ground every time the dog is entered...obviously they get used to expecting s

if this is meant for me Glynn then let me say the dog was keen and not hurt or cowed down , it's just the place was unknown to me and more sprawling than I thought . He was given the run around and ma

Alright lads I've got a young dog here that I've a couple of digs to and he's done well flying in fact . Now I entered him the other day and I think the job might've of been to much him in hindsight . He's got plenty of time with me I'm in no rush But lads what 1st season mistakes won't you tolerate and what will you tolerate ?

Baying in empty earths/false marking.

• Like 3

Got a young lad showed after 2 half hours of push and grind, he had to be layed up for about five weeks, but he keen still, hope it goes right for us next. I know some guys wouldn't have kept, but i have my own opinion and we'll see what it's aboutnnext time

• Like 2

As said baying in an empty earth would be hard to overlook.

But I think most mistakes can be forgiven in the first season. But the dogs age and maturity needs to be taken into consideration aswell.

Alot of lads give up on a dog after a poor first encounter.

There not machines at the the end of the day.

• Like 1

Yes your right pal, it's a long time in truth, he also worked and successful on five different ones last season. He didn't walk away this season like a jacker, ( i hope not) , but i didn't want to sicken him there after. Its not always the animals fault, and the was a few obstacles, logs, heavy nettle stuff, got a fair bit around the place, cheers

• Like 1

Sound's more like the owner's mistake than the young dog's :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sound's more like the owner's mistake than the young dog's :laugh::laugh::laugh:

oh don't say that mate I've been going over it for last couple of days . I know hindsight is 20/20 but it was a spot that I didn't know it looked shallow and it to be truthfulwas but was more sprawling than it thought . Dropped my other dog in and job was a good un ?

As said baying in an empty earth would be hard to overlook.

But I think most mistakes can be forgiven in the first season. But the dogs age and maturity needs to be taken into consideration aswell.

Alot of lads give up on a dog after a poor first encounter.

There not machines at the the end of the day.

most terriers that I have seen stay im empty earths have been owned and worked by hunt terriermen, where there is a fox to ground every time the dog is entered...obviously they get used to expecting something to be there every time. Dont see many dogs that dont make many mistakes but have seen a few people put it down to 'dogs shit' and not trying to work out whats happened and why. Im one who will admit and say i have got rid of one too soon...but have learned from my mistakes.
  • Like 6

The only thing I will not accept is cowardice, once they've made the mental decision that things are to much for them and they don't like the sharp end there's no coming back. I don't mean they walked because they couldn't work out where their fox had gone or they lacked the confidence to push tight, I mean outright spew or refusal to look at the game.

We've all seen that sullen look they give you, tail down low slung sulking b*****ds almost like they're ashamed of themselves, if I see that then it's down the road.

• Like 12