Recall Whistle

Whatever you want the dog wont mind!I use multi pips for recall, 2 pips for change of direction and 1 pip for stopopen arms for recall, arm pointing whichever way for change and raised hand for stop Pretty standard stuff

. Thanks for reply, yes it is pretty standerd stuff just want to be sure, thanks again
  • 3 months later...

No rules. The dog will learn whatever you teach it.

I use two pips for the recall, but general will use a quick series of them; pip-pip, pause, pip-pip.

A single pip to turn her.

A steady longish whistle to stop her. This works well when trialing,as many use this as their recall. When she has to honor her brace mate the other handler generally reinforce their dog's prompt return from a retrieve, which inadvertently reinforces her stop.

I know one thing. In the UK the less you use the whistle in tests and trials the more you are likely to go forward. The judges are far more inclined towards hand signals. Basic training with the whistle is great but in my opinion should always be backed up with hand signals. Gradually the dog will look to you for guidance and the big hand is always good. A friend of mine always wore a white glove and another used a white handkerchief to get the dogs attention. It's back to the o

ld saying. a good 20 mins in the morning and a very good 20mins later in the day.

pip. I want your attention. pip pip. You are going to do something. Full on pip and you need to stop and look at me for instruction. Ian Openshaw from near Coventry is someone to follow. What he hasn't done with springers just isn't worth mentioning. In fact if his breeding isn't in your dog I'd be amazed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...