Working A Bitch In Season

My lurcher bitch has typically come in season at the start of the lamping season,do you lads work them still or do you think it affects them too much? She is only 13mth old so has only been out a handful of times. I lamp on my own so never have hassle of a friend bringing a male dog and any accidents. I know greyhound bitches that are in seadon regular are a pain in the ass and dont get ran,just wondered what you lads would do,lay her up or carry on lamping.

It's not during the season that it affects them, but after, for as much as up to 12 weeks after their season has finished. This corresponds with the duration of a pregnancy and the time that the bitch would be nursing pups. Some of my bitches lose muscle dramatically, 'grow' udders (their mammary glands swell up and even produce milk in some cases). Working a bitch hard in this state means that she is more likely to suffer from tendon and muscle problems, and there is increased fat around the heart and other internal organs she won't have the stamina or strength to work as normal. Each bitch is different, and some also lose a lot of pace: not good in hard-running daytime dogs or all night lampers. Bit of mooching and ferreting is all mine get during this time.

Thanks for the replies,much appreciated and informative. I dont really want to be leaving her off for 10-12wks as she is only young and want her to learn on the young naieve rabbits that are about this time of year still. Will bare in mind about muscle loss,speed etc;not something i was familiar with. Thanks all