55 Body Grips

I've had a good few in the 55's now. Belting trap.

What was your stabilizer as your box was only notched at one side

There's only one spring so it wouldn't matter if the notch was at both sides.

I use two screws as stabilisers.

are the screws in the roof? Ive been using 110's and struggled. plenty of pass throughs, but nowhere near the success I have with fenns.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm using them and they are superb. Got mine from JohnB at fourteenacre   I have used them quite a bit and have only ever had head/neck strikes. A proper nice piece of kit.

They are more effective than fenns, in fact, I'd say that the 55 is more effective than the 110 or the 116 on squirrels.

I use all three sizes on squirrels. There great for putting on branches and vertical trunks

Posted Images

I've had a good few in the 55's now. Belting trap.

What was your stabilizer as your box was only notched at one side

There's only one spring so it wouldn't matter if the notch was at both sides.

I use two screws as stabilisers.

are the screws in the roof? Ive been using 110's and struggled. plenty of pass throughs, but nowhere near the success I have with fenns.

It shouldn't matter TBH. I have now moved onto tunnels with no bottom in, so it's natural earth, so obviously they're on the top then.. Squirrels should be able to go through the BMI triggers too easily, but i have seen it done. There's a little trick you can use if they are. And thats to make a diamond set, tilt the BG on it's side so the squirrel is squeezing through the trigger. he'll get caught.

but to answer the question, in this instance the screws were on the bottom.

When I'm using coni-pans i put the on the top where possible.

Edited by J Darcy

Cheers mate. Squirrels I've caught the odd one, but I use them mostly for rats around ponds etc, especially where a fenn would be too submerged at times to work. I must admit to having launched a few 110's into davey jones locker in frustration

Another....perfect suitcase....

JD what are you dipping your traps with if you don't mind me asking ?? that is if it is dipped,

Hi, it's rustoleum. I'm experimenting with different dilutions. I rate it.
it looks good, I was thinking of using clear wax oil,

I've used 55's but if your going to spend your hard earned on any trap it has to be the 116's covers you for everything then. Get them traps dirty Phil !!

:laugh:@ IanB.....feck that,...I ain't getting them all dirty,...them's me specials... :thumbs:

Darren,...by all means protect your precious traps,..they sure ain't cheap ,.and it pays to look after your trapline... :yes:

I did once wax, all my Conibears,..I even covered the dog/latch, etc, with some tape..but I still found them a wee bit slippy,..if ya get my drift ...

Nowadays,..I rarely use traps (other than for moles)....but when I was working on the rabbits and squirrels,..I liked dunking the Fenns and Magnum 116's into a bucket of 'Speed Dip' or similar product....

Some lads don't favour this method and prefer to use a rust protection type of primer or like Banksy, they go for the extremely popular, Vauxhall Green, straight out of the spray can... :laugh:

Another method that I utilised, was to boil up Oak Bark and Walnut Husks,..this gave the traps a nice black/brown hue...However, when using anything boiling hot, with a cast iron style of trap, Imbras, Juby's,..etc..you don't want to be cooking them,... for too long :thumbs:

All the best to you,.and of course,...good trapping... :victory:

I want to trap a few mink on a stream side phill, and thought it would give best protection, I suppose it is a bit thick and could make the triggers sticky, does it cause problems?? Or wood it be ok thinned right down with thinners,

It can result in the trigger being too sensitive, making it hard to actually set the trap! Can be a right pain in the arse!

• Like 1

I am also using Rustoleum on my traps, Fenn types and BGs and it is working well. Take care not to coat the trigger surfaces though or traps can be hard to set, or hard to fire

Do you dilute it down, if so with what, and how much, I did a search for it and there's loads about, also found some speed dip, but wouldn't mind experimenting and finding/making my own, there has to be something I could make to do the job decently, I though about it most of the day at work, and I can see the points being made by phil / EDDIE its worth thinking about, whats the trap wax the the American lads use, whats that made of, any body know ?

Dilute it down with turps/ white spirit.

Wax is fiddley stuff, but the rustoleum is as easy as falling off a log.

When you buy wax from the states, it comes as a solid block most of the time. Wax isn't really designed for BG's. As has been said already.

Edited by J Darcy