Hard Dogs How Many.

Some very hard wreckless dogs must make a Haynes out of it with some quarry ? But some must just have control either way , i dont know . a dog who doesnt mix too much if need be as said , can start to give too much advantage maybe after time and trial and not be much use in the real worled . some dont feel pain though thats the difference but know how to work , having the right ability and good enough standard and in a bark mix when right or just through that its in its braveness . Also some hard bred workers i know of now who dont bark are inteligent more so and have all the working cridentials .

• Like 4

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think everyone has a different opinion on what is called a hard terrier.Some will call a terrier that can kill fox to ground on a regular basis hard where others will say the dog just has a nack for

Mute dog would not keep it I like the sound of sounding under my feet to much most of what I come across is educated stuff and I dig them with bayer mixer types I have no need for hard dog just my opi

Have to disagree as some places can be layered maybe 3-4 different levels spread over a wide area and a fox moving about in front of a terrier will leave scent all over the place leaving it very hard

Posted Images

A terrier that knows the score and is committed will and should hold its game given there are no obstacles in its way.There are times when a terrier will meet its quarry maybe in a very large tube and then it can get by after a lot of tussling but in a reasonable size tube-stop it should hold its game.Pre-ban when other animals could be dug legally an animal that had been dug and released was not going to be dug easily 2nd time around and no matter what lads say you wont dig them with a sounder as when it pushes and it will once it hears the shovels working over head the sounder will move with it,stuuf that is green and never been dug before you probably would but not on educated stuff where as the harder type will go to meet its quarry when it starts pushing holding it there,just my take on it,everyone to there own.I have heard and read on here where lads have said that a terrier that is mute is not working its quarry properly and a sounder is as its sparring with it the whole time,out of the 2 i know the type i would keep.

couldnt of put if any better
would you say that any dog that barks is afraid? And if a dog was not barking and was sitting with his quarry and waiting for you to break through to be buried into it , be hard and intelligent _?

A terrier that knows the score and is committed will and should hold its game given there are no obstacles in its way.There are times when a terrier will meet its quarry maybe in a very large tube and then it can get by after a lot of tussling but in a reasonable size tube-stop it should hold its game.Pre-ban when other animals could be dug legally an animal that had been dug and released was not going to be dug easily 2nd time around and no matter what lads say you wont dig them with a sounder as when it pushes and it will once it hears the shovels working over head the sounder will move with it,stuuf that is green and never been dug before you probably would but not on educated stuff where as the harder type will go to meet its quarry when it starts pushing holding it there,just my take on it,everyone to there own.I have heard and read on here where lads have said that a terrier that is mute is not working its quarry properly and a sounder is as its sparring with it the whole time,out of the 2 i know the type i would keep.

would you say that any dog that barks is afraid? And if a dog was not barking and was sitting with his quarry and waiting for you to break through to be buried into it , be hard and intelligent _?
I mean a dog which would keep it there but not bark or fight , unless had to , and when you broke in on the dog.

I mean a dog which would keep it there but not bark or fight , unless had to , and when you broke in on the dog.
Thats what we call peeping,and would in my eyes be an undisirable trait,
  • Like 5

That can be answered in 2 ways Pablo,1st a well used-worked terrier that gives a bit of tongue could be showing its quarry respect as long as it does not let it push by him when the time comes,2nd it could be afraid of its shite of the quarry and sooner sit back sounding its head of than get stuck in and when the pressure comes will more than likely let the quarry push past,will a terrier sound at a rat or rabbit or anything it knows it can kill without fuss,no it wont.

• Like 5

That can be answered in 2 ways Pablo,1st a well used-worked terrier that gives a bit of tongue could be showing its quarry respect as long as it does not let it push by him when the time comes,2nd it could be afraid of its shite of the quarry and sooner sit back sounding its head of than get stuck in and when the pressure comes will more than likely let the quarry push past,will a terrier sound at a rat or rabbit or anything it knows it can kill without fuss,no it wont.

could it be frustration as well?(shes fairly big)ive a bitch thats never made a sound-bar new years eve last year-she gave about 5 barks in the middle of a dig then on again-couldnt really dig her again for the rest of last season and anything ive done this season with her has been handy enough..

If a guy digs the same area in general over the years he will bump into the same old guys who have met with the same terrier's. If your dog happens to be a mixer surely he will have to hold his ground quiet often with these guys, so he must to get punished quiet often also. So no matter how intelligent the dog maybe if he has to hold his ground a number a times in a season surley his apperance aint going to be all that different, it dont take much. So my point is if you dig educated stuff fairly often a sounder is useless a mixer is somewhat better and the other type is necessary.

• Like 5

I never knew we had to choose one. A 100% mute dog is as limited to me as a bayer. But will fail with time and opportunity.

I want a real digging dog to coast for hours underground if they can and never let go when they have to.

• Like 6

My young stock usually start very headstrong and hard but over the seasons they steady up a small bit and use their brains and voice more and more and become very capable terriers. I imagine that's the way it is with most lines. I don't call them hard or bayers there just working terriers. I have certain dogs from my line which mix it more than others and other ones from the same line which like to tongue a bit more. All terriers which get the job done.

Edited by bull mcabe
  • Like 5

Mute dog would not keep it I like the sound of sounding under my feet to much most of what I come across is educated stuff and I dig them with bayer mixer types I have no need for hard dog just my opinion I feel a hard dog goes in goes to grips straight away so forcing the game to basically fight for its life so dog takes unnesary stick and laid up for weeks were as a good bayer mixer keeps occupied with out giving or taking to much stick and can be used week in week out I was privledged enough to grow up in a time and a place were you could still dig badger and went out with our local digging club as a kid as my uncle was a member they dug a lot all educated with little baying dogs no problem and as there was no locator collars they had to be that way all with one dog no collar and baying just think these very hard types is what makes the quarry very hard might just be me getting old lol

• Like 12

Task just reading your post these was a black dog i seen work for a number of season best black dog I've ever seen going he was some dog that had some engine to him but has hard has they come to this day i can't believe how the dog stay has hard and long has he did and took very little sick he just new his job the memories i have of that dog working I'll never forget. Some dog?

• Like 1

Theres still a difference between a mute dog and a hard dog IMO. Some can be mute because they get a good hold and dont let go, so they take minimal stick. Whereas some go in and grab hold wherever they can regardless if the game is able to strike at them at will. And then it's a case of rushing down otherwise the dog won't last very long. I admire a hard dog but you can't beat digging to the sound of baying instead of having to check on the box every 5 minutes.

• Like 5