Hard Dogs How Many.

Even hard dogs won't dig them all. Some educated quarry just won't be dug.

True, But lets just say if you happen to take a guy by surprize humping the misses :icon_redface: or robbing your T.V :icon_eek: and if you shout and threaten him, He will probably get buy and pass and make a run for it but if you take things into your own hands literally you will have a better chance of him staying put.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think everyone has a different opinion on what is called a hard terrier.Some will call a terrier that can kill fox to ground on a regular basis hard where others will say the dog just has a nack for

Mute dog would not keep it I like the sound of sounding under my feet to much most of what I come across is educated stuff and I dig them with bayer mixer types I have no need for hard dog just my opi

Have to disagree as some places can be layered maybe 3-4 different levels spread over a wide area and a fox moving about in front of a terrier will leave scent all over the place leaving it very hard

Posted Images

But what if the lad humping your mrs are robbing your telly is used to a bit of a tussle. And proceeds to knock your c**t in. He's still going out the door. And your still a TV down and a very satisfied mrs.

Id try do a deal with him,leave the tele and take the missus,at least with the tele if you dont like whats been said you can change the station.

• Like 6

But what if the lad humping your mrs are robbing your telly is used to a bit of a tussle. And proceeds to knock your c**t in. He's still going out the door. And your still a TV down and a very satisfied mrs.

You'd want to be used to tussling yourself to match him and keep him put lol Edited by howdeeposxxt

A terrier that knows the score and is committed will and should hold its game given there are no obstacles in its way.There are times when a terrier will meet its quarry maybe in a very large tube and then it can get by after a lot of tussling but in a reasonable size tube-stop it should hold its game.Pre-ban when other animals could be dug legally an animal that had been dug and released was not going to be dug easily 2nd time around and no matter what lads say you wont dig them with a sounder as when it pushes and it will once it hears the shovels working over head the sounder will move with it,stuuf that is green and never been dug before you probably would but not on educated stuff where as the harder type will go to meet its quarry when it starts pushing holding it there,just my take on it,everyone to there own.I have heard and read on here where lads have said that a terrier that is mute is not working its quarry properly and a sounder is as its sparring with it the whole time,out of the 2 i know the type i would keep.

• Like 6

I always find the term hard dog comes across wrong when used for a certain type of way the dog works. I used to go diggin with a fella whos dog would mix it big time but he knew how to take a good hold after his first few digs and tbh he would take minimal damage but would give its quarry some stick if im honest he is the only terrier ive seen as clever as him but he wouldnt make a sound or bay ..i havent done half the digging some folk have on here but im just giving my input on my view I find some people say hard dogs are these dogs that come out smashed to peices at the end of the dig in theory they are but to me they are mute dogs . Dogs with heart that like to take stick and give it

• Like 2

Fatman I totally agree with you as I like a harder type of terrier. As long as someone else owns it. Lol. But now and again a freak will pop up that just don't want to be dug and can give the hardest of terriers there fill. You mite eventually get him but at what cost to the terrier. Give me the steady mixer. You mite not get them all but you'll get plenty.

• Like 1

It this situation when approaching educated quarry the gutsy type would be the better option over all in keeping him there. Im calling them the gutsy because hate the word hard also a good point you made wottenheart . It surely takes more guts to engage with his quarry than to bay when push come to shove . And not all look like a chainsaw has been put to there face, learning where to hold is a technique many mute dogs master after a couple a digs, more so wrestling than kickboxing.

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 3

Depends on the dog like Fat man says some will take hold and lay with game and don't take much stick, had a dog like that years a go dug 57 before he made a sound never go really beat up longest he was off was about 4 weeks and that was the day he bayed could dig him every 2 weeks most of the time.had a daughter of him would be off 3 or 4 weeks after every dig would not mater if it was 2ft or 6ft there's exceptions to every rule but I'd say if your getting 10 a season with a hard dog you're doing well prefer a steady type with a enough nuts to hold their own when needed,but all ways liked a hard dog, times are changing and if I was still in the game think I would want a steady type.most of the black stuff I kept normally started hard and steadied up mid way through second or so season

• Like 1

A terrier that knows the score and is committed will and should hold its game given there are no obstacles in its way.There are times when a terrier will meet its quarry maybe in a very large tube and then it can get by after a lot of tussling but in a reasonable size tube-stop it should hold its game.Pre-ban when other animals could be dug legally an animal that had been dug and released was not going to be dug easily 2nd time around and no matter what lads say you wont dig them with a sounder as when it pushes and it will once it hears the shovels working over head the sounder will move with it,stuuf that is green and never been dug before you probably would but not on educated stuff where as the harder type will go to meet its quarry when it starts pushing holding it there,just my take on it,everyone to there own.I have heard and read on here where lads have said that a terrier that is mute is not working its quarry properly and a sounder is as its sparring with it the whole time,out of the 2 i know the type i would keep.

couldnt of put if any better
  • Like 3

Depends on the dog like Fat man says some will take hold and lay with game and don't take much stick, had a dog like that years a go dug 57 before he made a sound never go really beat up longest he was off was about 4 weeks and that was the day he bayed could dig him every 2 weeks most of the time.had a daughter of him would be off 3 or 4 weeks after every dig would not mater if it was 2ft or 6ft there's exceptions to every rule but I'd say if your getting 10 a season with a hard dog you're doing well prefer a steady type with a enough nuts to hold their own when needed,but all ways liked a hard dog, times are changing and if I was still in the game think I would want a steady type.most of the black stuff I kept normally started hard and steadied up mid way through second or so season

When the steady type holds his ground surely he is engaged in order to hold the quarry there if the quarry whats to move, and that comes with somewhat the same consequences as the harder type ???.

Yeah he will take stick but only when he has to,a hard dog to me engages his game more or less all the time he's with it so most take a fair bit every dig where a Bayer with balls only gets knocked about with aggressive animals,best dog I ever seen steady away but would not let anything pass him he rarely got knocked about and was always locked up on breakthrough he was dug to many testing game and always got the result a true class act brains as well as bolocks

• Like 6

my type of dog I like is one that finds bays within 6 inches when the quarry comes forward hold him there at all costs and keeps quarry bizzy enough that quarry can't turn around and be doing other things only fighting if needs to .when a dog works this way it will be successful more times and last longer than a complete fighter which some are referring to on this thread . why throw fuel on a fire when a fire is burning under control but if that's all you got well that's it . I will add to say the job will get done with a fighter more often than with a complete Bayer .

• Like 1

Foxbolter, I agree with you. The diffence in certain parts of the world terriers can get away with working 6 inches away from quarry and put pressure on if needs be. Will the same terrier be able to be dug to everytime if the quarry is putting it to the terrier from first contact, from past experience?

• Like 2