Hard Dogs How Many.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think everyone has a different opinion on what is called a hard terrier.Some will call a terrier that can kill fox to ground on a regular basis hard where others will say the dog just has a nack for

Mute dog would not keep it I like the sound of sounding under my feet to much most of what I come across is educated stuff and I dig them with bayer mixer types I have no need for hard dog just my opi

Have to disagree as some places can be layered maybe 3-4 different levels spread over a wide area and a fox moving about in front of a terrier will leave scent all over the place leaving it very hard

Posted Images

• 10 months later...

Thats why the hard dog is the one we all crave he will keep goin no goin back if even it means he pushs in so tight he is willin to die to get there and get the job done and most of the time they are the best producers. What id give ta have so such a little warrior

A certain man you know lost a good little bitch because of that very reason,she pushed up that tight she could not breath and paid the price,wedged tight in hard ground with quarry inches in front of her,it was her 1st time out this season,she died trying to get there.

• Like 2

dogs that go in and get smashed about 6 a year if your lucky , dogs that go in with skill and kill can be worked as often as you can get them in

my old bitch Raven could kill in seconds and when she was young and learning her craft i put her in a few times when huntsman wanted bolts they where often pissed off with me (this was pre-ban when you could own and work such a terrier and when you could bolt for hounds ) of all the terriers that have been lost to work and thankfully not that many they all died on fox all where rough workers and killers and 75% died due to killing one fox pushing over digging on to kill another and blocking off there air supply

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 2

Glyn i would call that drive and determination to get there to its fox,i have seen and been out with dogs through the years that when you open up there siting 3ft of there fox screaming there heads off,this to me is of little use as the fox may not be in a stop and will move back soon as you break through.I had a black bitch [bESS] years ago that was a demon on fox,would kill them for sport,i remember 1 day a man told us he had run 2 fox in an earth with his lurchers while hare hunting and as we were nearly beside the place decided to give it a run.We entered Bess and stood back with our own lurchers and after a half hour or so no bolt so got a mark on the old knocker box but Bess could be heard sounding which i thought was unusual.We started to dig down and on the breah through i then seen what was going on,she was actually working both foxs in a stop that ran left and right,1st time i had ever heard her sound on fox while up close and why she did not take hold of one of them i will never know,she was stolen not long after that along with the rest of my dogs.I know and dig over a dog at present that has only started to sound in the last season or so and this dog is heading 12 year old[The General] as he is now known,lol, have to say he is a class act and have never dug to any better than him,maybe as good but not better.

• Like 6

If a guy goes out once a week and gets two digs if he is lucky, over Oct to March roughly 21 weeks im just doing the math quickly thats 42 digs and say you have 3 working terriers and your buddy has 3 surly the harder type is Ok to have. All this shite lads digging there dogs 50 times a season gets under my skin they must have the one terrier and no time to work the other's, Im just going on the guy who works from Monday to Fri. Im no mathematician but numbers been put on dogs are crazy has anyone come across this, each yard is different but if you put it all into context does it matter all that much if the harder type gets less if you have more to work with. Im kind off confusing myself now but I hope im getting my point across for people to understand what im saying I just dont agree with people sometimes faulting the harder type. When they for me put more effort in when sent below but thats my own opinion and respect what everyone prefers in there yard

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 4

If a guy goes out once a week and gets two digs if he is lucky, over Oct to March roughly 21 weeks im just doing the math quickly thats 42 digs and say you have 3 working terriers and your buddy has 3 surly the harder type is Ok to have. All this shite lads digging there dogs 50 times a season gets under my skin they must have the one terrier and no time to work the other's, Im just going on the guy who works from Monday to Fri. Im no mathematician but numbers been put on dogs are crazy has anyone come across this, each yard is different but if you put it all into context does it matter all that much if the harder type gets less if you have more to work with. Im kind off confusing myself now but I hope im getting my point across for people to understand what im saying I just dont agree with people sometimes faulting the harder type. When they for me put more effort in when sent below but thats my own opinion and respect what everyone prefers in there yard

some people often dig their dogs three times a day, but they may only be 1m deep. Sometimes you might only have one dig, but it's 12ft. All that matters is that the dog stays.
  • Like 1

It is all that matters true. What happens to the yapper when your coming close on te him and his oponent wants to drive and pass him he must engage and exchange blows so he to must take blows also,so what differs from him and the other type If he chooses to stand his ground If not he must retreat or move backwards there for leading to maybe a number of holes been dug . If he meets educated stuff he will have to engage in order to hold him simple barking will not intimidate some quarry

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 6

Even hard dogs won't dig them all. Some educated quarry just won't be dug.

True, But lets just say if you happen to take a guy by surprize humping the misses :icon_redface: or robbing your T.V :icon_eek: and if you shout and threaten him, He will probably get buy and pass and make a run for it but if you take things into your own hands literally you will have a better chance of him staying put.

• Like 1

Even hard dogs won't dig them all. Some educated quarry just won't be dug.

True, But lets just say if you happen to take a guy by surprize humping the misses :icon_redface: or robbing your T.V :icon_eek: and if you shout and threaten him, He will probably get buy and pass and make a run for it but if you take things into your own hands literally you will have a better chance of him staying put.

Not had a hard one as they say for a few years now but letting them heal properly I couldn't get anymore that 15

I get about 4 of this bitch some times she pulls them out

my type of dog.iam luckey to a have 4 of that type in my yard at the moment and to tell the truth they all want to go is through game.id say i get about 8 to 10 digs a season with each of them. i was up the country in the midlands a few wks back and the soil is totally different.dog dropped and id say dug and backfilled in half an hour.no heavy gear needed. all peat earths a joy to go digging.not the case around our area.

• Like 1