Hard Dogs How Many.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think everyone has a different opinion on what is called a hard terrier.Some will call a terrier that can kill fox to ground on a regular basis hard where others will say the dog just has a nack for

Mute dog would not keep it I like the sound of sounding under my feet to much most of what I come across is educated stuff and I dig them with bayer mixer types I have no need for hard dog just my opi

Have to disagree as some places can be layered maybe 3-4 different levels spread over a wide area and a fox moving about in front of a terrier will leave scent all over the place leaving it very hard

Posted Images

It all depends on depth, time to ground and also whether the quarry is playing ball. Numbers can be very mis-leading IMO. Would you rather have 5 2hr plus digs to a dog or 15 that are a spades depth etc?

easy one for me 15 at spades depth lol I'm getting older mate ?
  • Like 4

It all depends on depth, time to ground and also whether the quarry is playing ball. Numbers can be very mis-leading IMO. Would you rather have 5 2hr plus digs to a dog or 15 that are a spades depth etc?

easy one for me 15 at spades depth lol I'm getting older mate ?
30 bolts
30 bolts and 15 at spades depth that's 45 all in all happy days ?

Ime going for 15 out of my young dog for first season he's on 8 digs up to now and a bolt and has just recovers from his last dig so I be looking for dig number 9 this week his last 3 outings add up to 14 hour to ground and in my honest opinion I don't think numbers mean much at all you chuld have a 30 minute dig every day and it won't tell you much about your dog as it's not even got out of first gere I got a bitch here and when I lived in a different country the digging was 99% shallow 45 minute affairs the bitch started abit slow then had a cuple seasons digging with her then started digging in new country were the earths are always around 2 meter this bitch chuldent hack it and walked 2 x after a few hours she been out on rest since end of last season and will try again this year point being if I whuld of been digging in my old place I never whuld of new the bitch was due to walk and whuld of been filed with false hope about the bitch So for me a good stiff dig anyway of the week rather than a hand full of 30 minute digs imo ther for puppy's and not a seasons worker but I do understand pest control is pest control and the quarry needs accounting for regardless of what dog is used in what earth

• Like 6

Went to a old burrow today, permission, ( Lord of the manner) . First time this year, i worked the burrow for over 6. The Game was very tricky to find, as if it weren't there. Anyway dog coudnt get near it and i was there for about 3 hours or more, it never faced the dog, hard dogs how many? , yes right, whatever.

Ime going for 15 out of my young dog for first season he's on 8 digs up to now and a bolt and has just recovers from his last dig so I be looking for dig number 9 this week his last 3 outings add up to 14 hour to ground and in my honest opinion I don't think numbers mean much at all you chuld have a 30 minute dig every day and it won't tell you much about your dog as it's not even got out of first gere I got a bitch here and when I lived in a different country the digging was 99% shallow 45 minute affairs the bitch started abit slow then had a cuple seasons digging with her then started digging in new country were the earths are always around 2 meter this bitch chuldent hack it and walked 2 x after a few hours she been out on rest since end of last season and will try again this year point being if I whuld of been digging in my old place I never whuld of new the bitch was due to walk and whuld of been filed with false hope about the bitch So for me a good stiff dig anyway of the week rather than a hand full of 30 minute digs imo ther for puppy's and not a seasons worker but I do understand pest control is pest control and the quarry needs accounting for regardless of what dog is used in what earth

Come on, admit it Zilverhaze.......you miss those 30 minute digs! Haha.....

Neil just a thought you say the nwtf is doing a lot to eradicate wannabes and trouble makers are you not in the south and the iwtf would cover your area these men in my opinion have saved us from a full hunting ban like the UK and have been outstanding in our fight for justice by bringing in a code of conduct and lobbying various groups. I think we are light years ahead of where we were with some great leaders pushing the cause those men deserve a mention.

I agree Jiggy, it's great that we have someone promoting us in this day and age. I do think the other fieldsports organisations do defend terrierwork but the IWTF is probably the only one promoting terrierwork.

I've also noticed that they're one of the only organisations to address the fools on FaceBook.

Come on, admit it Zilverhaze.......you miss those 30 minute digs! Haha.....

Yea mate some times lol and some of the real rangey places ther were a good test regardless of depth Went out today mate and found 4 perfect earths all along the top of a ditch they all had bedding scraped out and all had footprints outside whuld bet my life on them all holding was gone 2 o'clock tho so never tried em they look to be about 1.5 meter deep just need to find the hunter who's land its on and should be able to dig that young bitch this week :-)

• Like 1

Neil just a thought you say the nwtf is doing a lot to eradicate wannabes and trouble makers are you not in the south and the iwtf would cover your area these men in my opinion have saved us from a full hunting ban like the UK and have been outstanding in our fight for justice by bringing in a code of conduct and lobbying various groups. I think we are light years ahead of where we were with some great leaders pushing the cause those men deserve a mention.

I agree Jiggy, it's great that we have someone promoting us in this day and age. I do think the other fieldsports organisations do defend terrierwork but the IWTF is probably the only one promoting terrierwork.

I've also noticed that they're one of the only organisations to address the fools on FaceBook.

true its organizations like this that show our sport in a professional organized manner in the pursuit of humane pest control with respect for terrier and quarry. Without that the media will continue to show us in poor light. Hopefully groups like this can continue to educate the media if they get enough support from geniune hunting people. Edited by jiggy
  • Like 1

Iwtf is a good cause for whatever it is they do but i bet there's members with in it that wudn refuse the FB hunters any pups as long as they were handing over good money its a good shop window for advertising work bloodlines alright.

• Like 2

Iwtf is a good cause for whatever it is they do but i bet there's members with in it that wudn refuse the FB hunters any pups as long as they were handing over good money its a good shop window for advertising work bloodlines alright.

edited double post Edited by jiggy