Hard Dogs How Many.

STUPID DOGS JUST GET SMASHED FOR THE FUN OF IT THEY DON T NEED DRIVE , CLEVER DOGS WITH DRIVE IS WHAT WE STRIVE FOR ONE THAT WILL DISH IT OUT WHEN NEEDED AND GET THE JOB DONE , THE SENSIBLE DOG THAT DOES JUST ENOUGH TO SEE THE JOB THROUGH IS THE ONE YOU WANT NOT THE GUN HO HERO THAT FLYS IN GETS SMASHED TO BITS THEN WHEN THE PENNY DROPS IT JACKS

in an ideal world

-had a bitch like you described-she threw them all hard,daughter of her -hard as iron but seems an intelligent dog otherwise-she throws them bang on(or did in her first littet at least)..like dosent always seem to breed like

• Like 1

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think everyone has a different opinion on what is called a hard terrier.Some will call a terrier that can kill fox to ground on a regular basis hard where others will say the dog just has a nack for

Mute dog would not keep it I like the sound of sounding under my feet to much most of what I come across is educated stuff and I dig them with bayer mixer types I have no need for hard dog just my opi

Have to disagree as some places can be layered maybe 3-4 different levels spread over a wide area and a fox moving about in front of a terrier will leave scent all over the place leaving it very hard

Posted Images

'It shouldn't be hard to locate something in a hole'? I don't agree with that statement, it's not just a case of that, sometimes a dog is expected to find quarry in massive earths with many holes and many tubes and also a quarry that is constantly moving itself and not just waiting for the dog to bump into it. Sometimes it takes special dogs to find in the big old 'dungeons' of places.

totally agree 100% seen many a good working dog find there quarry hard to find sometimes also seen many a good dog spend hours tracking the fxxkers down

How a fellow can say he's been out 1000s of times when he gets in and out of terriers regularly just shows that an inter-net forum can make anyone look like they know what they're talking about.

If a terrier is puling at an earth from 40 yards away it means scent is good, not that you have a super nosed dog.

Foxes can pop into an earth just in front of a pack of hounds and it might take them a while to get a correct mark if scent is bad.

JMHO but the way a lot of lads try their terriers they spend their whole lives passing game and don't even know it. Most terriers when brought to an average earth should find if it's holding. But to be 100% either way IMO the terrier should try the earth, not have a sniff from the end of a lead.

IMO the true test of a terriers nose is when you've already had a dig or maybe two or maybe three or maybe more in a big place and then run a terrier through it so you can walk away knowing it's now empty. How many lads do that nowadays ?

Regarding hard dogs ?

They're illegal.

The amount of shite you write on her and your telling me you think a terrier should run a earth to be certain r u serious

How a fellow can say he's been out 1000s of times when he gets in and out of terriers regularly just shows that an inter-net forum can make anyone look like they know what they're talking about.

If a terrier is puling at an earth from 40 yards away it means scent is good, not that you have a super nosed dog.

Foxes can pop into an earth just in front of a pack of hounds and it might take them a while to get a correct mark if scent is bad.

JMHO but the way a lot of lads try their terriers they spend their whole lives passing game and don't even know it. Most terriers when brought to an average earth should find if it's holding. But to be 100% either way IMO the terrier should try the earth, not have a sniff from the end of a lead.

IMO the true test of a terriers nose is when you've already had a dig or maybe two or maybe three or maybe more in a big place and then run a terrier through it so you can walk away knowing it's now empty. How many lads do that nowadays ?

Regarding hard dogs ?

They're illegal.[/

Edited by stevie g 2005

Regarding hard dogs ?

They're illegal.

The amount of shite you write on her and your telling me you think a terrier should run a earth to be certain r u serious

Yes I am, but I'm not to concerned about your opinion as I know who you dig with and that makes me take you with a big pinch of salt.

Getting back to the said question for arguments sake you could say a dig a month but there are hard dogs with a brain and hard dogs without a brain . Hard dogs with a brain will cease their quarry as soon as they can and lock on till dug too . The hard dog without a brain constantly atacks it's quarry making it fight for its life in the process taking unnecessary punishment . But to me a hard dog makes things happen with its working style they get results were a yip - yapper wouldnt . Before the yip - yapper brigade get on to me nothing against them they do a job in there own working environment just not mine . Ps nothing to do with being macho either.

• Like 2

Could it be that the hard dogs that lies their and - hold are happy to have their teeth in their quarry, and the stupid ones so to speak fight trying to kill its quarry , just trying to see it from the terriers point of view. See if thier lying their and just holding unless by the neck it probably wont kill. As for the ones that fight try to kill wheter they do or not ( Attempted Murder) and get punished doing so is a different matter. I wish those crazy little feckers could talk.

• Like 1

It could be the terrier that locks on realises it won't take much stick working the way it does . the loon ball slammer hasn't got nouse to back off a bit or is it just sheer drive that takes him forward just can't help himself no matter how much stick it takes he must kill or be killed lol. If he could talk he would probably call the locker on a pussy for not getting stuck in

• Like 1

JMHO on the subject. It's a big pity that there's people such as the N.W.T.F. fighting tooth and nail for the right to work our terriers and then you have lads coming on here un-doing their hard work with talk such as "locking on" and "no matter how much stick it takes".

In my opinion this sort of talk usually comes out of the mouths of wannabees, novices or those who have some sort of macho image of themselves.

Those of us who are used to working terriers know what we see and the memories and images stay in our minds, not on an inter-net forum.

The likes of the CA get accused now and again of not supporting terrierwork and when you see some of the posts on here who can blame them ?

It was stupid to start such a thread in the first place.

As has been said already. Hard dogs are illegal.

It's funny how a mans ego can over rule common sense and make him come on the WWW and talk of illegal matters.

• Like 8

im sorry if ive upset you neil or anybody else out there I was just saying it how it is hadn't realised how politically correct the terrier world was . I should have known better I know its a sensitive issue but I thought I might have been able to give an opinion on a hunting forum ffs .nothing to do with wannabee or novice ive been digging terriers for 36 years and in my world unfortunately that's how we phrase things and before you start don't give me the old chestnut I should know better . I aint come on for an argument so not going to start a tit for tat. I wont be replying no matter how much you try to run me down I will stick to my world you stick to yours happy hunting .

• Like 6

Jesus lads that was not my intention no bloody way also my opoligies im new to this maybe should never bothered. It may take a while to know the rights from wrongs on this but to state wannabees is placing yourself very high up the ladder. Which ive seen some do reading these forums lately hypocrites. Im sure their is mods on here if it should not be on this site it can be took off im sure, if its against the law to speak about hard dogs im f****d but then my car tax is up a month. :icon_eek:

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 2

Your entitled to give your opinion everyone is its like everything lads your either part of a clique or your not basically thats what it comes down to.Tony you gave a good honest opinion and thats yours to give you dnt have ta make apologies to anybody always someone around to pick at things. It will be someone else tomorrow.

• Like 2
Guest alcapone

If it wasnt for them hard dogs being bred off there would be barely any decent dogs about today. Them that drift away from hard dogs altogether do so at their own peril,il use nick stevens as an example as its in the book,he states he gave certain hard dogs away as they dodnt suit him for the work he did,his ideal dog is a dog that will give quarry room to move and bolt,dogs that dont were of no use to him and he was honest in that he bred dogs for his individual task,then you have certain men (well a man) that has tried to continue that very line of dogs and is known for alot of bitches not making out and out digging dogs for all quarry,so from coming away from hard dogs i believe 50% of his line is not upto scratch,your bitch is a main stay to every line,once they falter your on a slippery slope and my opinion is not breeding from hard enough dogs. years ago they used to say you should never breed from a dog that could not kill a fox,there was a valid reason for this i believe.

Edited by alcapone
  • Like 10