Hard Dogs How Many.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think everyone has a different opinion on what is called a hard terrier.Some will call a terrier that can kill fox to ground on a regular basis hard where others will say the dog just has a nack for

Mute dog would not keep it I like the sound of sounding under my feet to much most of what I come across is educated stuff and I dig them with bayer mixer types I have no need for hard dog just my opi

Have to disagree as some places can be layered maybe 3-4 different levels spread over a wide area and a fox moving about in front of a terrier will leave scent all over the place leaving it very hard

Posted Images

a good terrier knows 1s at home 10 - 15 yards before he even gets to the hole, and a good terrierman will be able to read the signals his dog is giving out as they approach the hole. Just the same way you will see a gundog pick up a line and let you know there's a bird about so get ready. a good terrier will do the same, and no matter the size of the hole they should find, that's what the black thing on the end of its face is for..... its called a nose and that's the thing with most terriers bred these days, there bred by individuals who think a terrier with 30-40 handy digs over it its ready to stud or pup and if a dog cant find in a rangey spot its as good as useless to most men.

You make me laugh

For the dog side of it, It give it best , it find firstly and do the time, and not show away or come off when its done that. One hole dig but i couldn't say that is always going to happen but if have dozens of it, then at least the other is the one off or so. i like the hard dog and no scream, but The have a bark,which i at least no whats going on. Some burys and the experienced game though knowtto keep the dog their and have moved, or such. You should get me a dog so i see somesteam , in some of the places, and not to much difficulty can face, which can. Be failure in some places, but no complain it goes with the territory's,

Terrier has got to be able to find or you get no dig,nose very important in a working terrier.Like yourself i dont like opening holes all over so a 1 hole terrier is by far my choice so they have to stay and face there quarry in order to do so.Experienced game wwill soon sort out a sounder so thats where the harder type shine through.I have seen bayer-mixer types in easy places been dug and coming out like they were put through a shreader,hard dog will grab hold and game over and most times take very little.
You must have some green quarry were you dig don't care if they go in and as you say take hold a hard dog on the right quarry won't be digging week in week out

I've seen a dog go 100's of yards to a hole and find a coon in it. Tracking all the way, late in the afternoon on a sunny day. Remember the day I was with you fat man and the earth wreaked of fox far off from the entrance. That's just what we humans could smell. A dog should know from a pretty good distance if wind is right.

As for the issue of it being easy to find in an earth, I just personally believe it has more to do with the dog wanting to find than its ability to find.

There are dogs that look like they're working hard that will bump into game they don't want to handle and they'll not hold their quarry but they'll continue roaming holes wasting time.

Last season I saw a bitch enter a hole I could hear the game up in the pipe. I could hear digging and whining and barking, so I dug the bitch. She was at least 8 feet off. So I thought maybe the earth was too tight or water was stopping her from reaching the game. But I dropped a dog of her exact same size into the earth. He pushed on through and got two nutria at a stop end. No nose involved, the pipe was straight. Both dogs acted like they wanted action but only one really wanted it. I think alot of people will excuse the poor drive as a lack of nose but it likely comes to drive in the end.

Just my opinion.

How a fellow can say he's been out 1000s of times when he gets in and out of terriers regularly just shows that an inter-net forum can make anyone look like they know what they're talking about.

If a terrier is puling at an earth from 40 yards away it means scent is good, not that you have a super nosed dog.

Foxes can pop into an earth just in front of a pack of hounds and it might take them a while to get a correct mark if scent is bad.

JMHO but the way a lot of lads try their terriers they spend their whole lives passing game and don't even know it. Most terriers when brought to an average earth should find if it's holding. But to be 100% either way IMO the terrier should try the earth, not have a sniff from the end of a lead.

IMO the true test of a terriers nose is when you've already had a dig or maybe two or maybe three or maybe more in a big place and then run a terrier through it so you can walk away knowing it's now empty. How many lads do that nowadays ?

Regarding hard dogs ?

They're illegal.

• Like 6

if the dog marks the earth from a distance . you enter it . the same dog on a different day may need to run through to find. yes I would say its about scenting conditions. but that don't change the fact that some dogs shine above others in the nose department. if you are out with a few terriers you tend to rely more on certain dogs for finding than others. experience comes into it but generally speaking a dog with a good nose shows this very early. as does a poor one when in company. you also need a decent owner to read the dog. as for hard terriers that's down to how you define this. ive seen dogs that could be dug to as little as once a season if they get into a situation where they are to tight to do what they want to but are to foolhardy to take a step back. not only can they be out for a season but often it can finish there working life. ive always said over hard work styles. should be classed as a fault. lets face it. you plan breed rear and enter a terrier and after a few outings its career is finished. not for me.

• Like 1

I've seen a terrier straining on the lead to get to a hole that was hidden in cover 30yards away that dog was never in that field or area before and didn't know there was an earth there from previous visits. Dog was right and we got a successful dig.

Did you ever take time to think a fox may have popped in in front of you and the terrier has got the scent of it?

For the dog side of it, It give it best , it find firstly and do the time, and not show away or come off when its done that. One hole dig but i couldn't say that is always going to happen but if have dozens of it, then at least the other is the one off or so. i like the hard dog and no scream, but The have a bark,which i at least no whats going on. Some burys and the experienced game though knowtto keep the dog their and have moved, or such. You should get me a dog so i see somesteam , in some of the places, and not to much difficulty can face, which can. Be failure in some places, but no complain it goes with the territory's,

Terrier has got to be able to find or you get no dig,nose very important in a working terrier.Like yourself i dont like opening holes all over so a 1 hole terrier is by far my choice so they have to stay and face there quarry in order to do so.Experienced game wwill soon sort out a sounder so thats where the harder type shine through.I have seen bayer-mixer types in easy places been dug and coming out like they were put through a shreader,hard dog will grab hold and game over and most times take very little.
You must have some green quarry were you dig don't care if they go in and as you say take hold a hard dog on the right quarry won't be digging week in week out

Green as grass.

• Like 2

I've seen a terrier straining on the lead to get to a hole that was hidden in cover 30yards away that dog was never in that field or area before and didn't know there was an earth there from previous visits. Dog was right and we got a successful dig.

Did you ever take time to think a fox may have popped in in front of you and the terrier has got the scent of it?
. Edited by jiggy

so if your walking to a burrow say a farmers asked you to check... you know the land so select the terrier you need for the job depending on age and experience it may be a new spot you have been asked to check by a farmer..... you telling me you cant tell by the way the terriers acting there has been activity and you think might be in here men, and 9 out of 10 the terriers right, this happens consistently over from being a young terrier pup being entered correctly to a second season terrier dug regularly ?..... I have been out a thousand times and lifted a terrier over a fence, and been 40 yards away from the burrow and I know the way MY dogs act if its looking likely... ive also been to places that looked 100% active and were not...and places dead as ceaser and they dropped and we opened up....

So what would happen to a well seasoned dog that gave you the nod from 40yards away and when you got there no one home?? False marking? Or maybe there has been a fox on a near by field or a rabbit or a deer and it has got the dog fired up?? what is it your dogs do to let you know??

• Like 1

I've seen a dog go 100's of yards to a hole and find a coon in it. Tracking all the way, late in the afternoon on a sunny day. Remember the day I was with you fat man and the earth wreaked of fox far off from the entrance. That's just what we humans could smell. A dog should know from a pretty good distance if wind is right.

As for the issue of it being easy to find in an earth, I just personally believe it has more to do with the dog wanting to find than its ability to find.

There are dogs that look like they're working hard that will bump into game they don't want to handle and they'll not hold their quarry but they'll continue roaming holes wasting time.

Last season I saw a bitch enter a hole I could hear the game up in the pipe. I could hear digging and whining and barking, so I dug the bitch. She was at least 8 feet off. So I thought maybe the earth was too tight or water was stopping her from reaching the game. But I dropped a dog of her exact same size into the earth. He pushed on through and got two nutria at a stop end. No nose involved, the pipe was straight. Both dogs acted like they wanted action but only one really wanted it. I think alot of people will excuse the poor drive as a lack of nose but it likely comes to drive in the end.

Just my opinion.

If you are trying holes and the dog don't mark from 50yards away do you just turn away??
  • Like 2

exactly what i was thinking- fox pro ably heard them coming-fresh scent.
  • Like 1