Mk Iv Fenn And Stoats.....

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well.....I think that they are trying to pass another trap on us, but the trtap they are trying to force into us is totally flawed by it's trigger. I will take some pics and post them soon.   Increa

Lindsay Waddell has written about this in his column in last week's Shooting Times. He explains that the Fenn is unlikely to pass the AHITS requirements. The idea of some kind of conspiracy is amusing

I will get some little signs made for the entrance to my tunnels - NO STOATS allowed - so that weasels, rats and squirrels can enter but stoats stay away ;-)

It appears that defra doesn't have any choice about these changes for stoat. Due the requirements of the AIHTS that the EU signed many years ago only traps that have passed the required effectiveness/humaneness criteria for the species listed on AIHTS will be permitted after the middle of next year.

I guess any trap manufacturer (or anyone else) could have their traps tested to see if they meet the new standards, lord knows how much that would cost. However in the case of the Fenn, it is not the most efficient kill trap available by a long way and I suspect the assumption is that it may not pass for stoat (the New Zealanders tested it a few years ago and it apparently fell quite short of the new standards), hence perhaps nobody is prepared to pay to test it. I guess that the facsimile traps might be in the same boat.... You can bet that all of the no longer manufactured traps will lose their approval for stoat because there will be nobody to pay for the testing ( e.g fenns MK 1,2 & 3), maybe folks can have a whip round....if you think they'll pass....

Only certain species appear on the AIHTS list because it was originally there to improve fur-trapping standards. There are other UK species on the list but none that are regularly trapped legally without a specific licence, stoat is the only one.

One interesting thing is that traps that have passed AIHTS standards anywhere in the world should be able to be approved in the UK without further testing so we should see some new traps appearing.

http://www.face.eu/about-us/resources/news/trapping-in-europe-and-the-agreement-on-international-humane-trapping

If someone could provide a coherent response aligned with the law and the likes of DEFRA, APHA, NE then they are better than me.

As for the formality of testing traps, the subject of clones, clarity on tunnel construction, setting and checking regs for different species, obstruction of Scheduled animals (hedgehogs, polecats and soon, stoats) .... Well it is simply too confusing to the layman, and it won't be long before someone is charged for some infringement of law

Any offers?