Collar

oz0707

Yeh I've never had a prob before but thought she'd caught something as was thrashing round in the hedge. Went over and all caught up in undergrowth. I'm thinking it must've been on loose to catch

Edited by oz0707

I realise that some disagree as this has been mentioned before in here, but I personally would never have a collar on a dog entering cover or. Runner for that matter. If I collared any dog whilst out working with my oldman or my grandad before him they wouldn't let the dog work simple as that. They have been at it longer than me so I take their advice on board. Jmo but I stick by it atb.

me to ,i never run bushing dogs with collars on ,,just own preferance..some spots we do are massive and i would struggle to find a dog snagged up,our terrier is collared up with bellman but he doesnt wander far from me. :thumbs:

The reason my oldman and grandad are so against collars is from first hand experience along time ago a runner they were out with caught a collar going through hedgerow. Dog in question died from a broken neck not their dog but still made an impression, people will say it could of happened without a collar. But all those their were in agreement that day. Maybe it was a freak accident but I have heard of other issues with collars on dogs and it is just an extra risk in my eyes. I just know a lot of older guys through my family who have had dogs for donkeys and none of them would use a collar on a busher or runner maybe they are out of touch?

Despite what I wrote in my previous post I do find that I tend to take them off when working the dogs on my permission. Not sure why; maybe I subconsciously worry about them getting picked up without any I.D. when not on my permission or maybe the opposite i.e. feel more confident in them being without a collar on my permission. :hmm:

Does anyone know if it's a legal requirement for a dog to wear a collar with I.D. as I always thought it wasn't but I'm sure I've been told by somebody recently that it is? As we're now, apparently, required by law to have them microchipped wouldn't that be I.D. enough?

Edited to add: just searched on Bing and you do have to unless the dog is working; whether that be pack of hounds, in pursuit of vermin, herding stock, search and rescue, guide dogs ets. I'm sure I've read that before which is probably why I made the above decision subconsciously. :blink:

Edited by Neal

This is an issue I've worried quite a bit about as I hate the idea of working them in collars, but at the same time I don't like the idea of them going missing without some sort of ID on them. Years ago I saw a lurcher get hung up by the collar and I've never forgotten it. Luckily we saw the dog run into a small patch of cover and not emerge, so we knew exactly where it was and when we got to it the dog was uninjured so no harm done. But if it had happened out of sight it could have been a different story.

On the other side of the coin I've had uncollared dogs go missing after a hunt. The first time was an unchipped lurcher. It turned out that he'd been run over and killed on the road but it took days before I was able to discover that. Until I found out I was going out of my mind with worry. Had he had an ID tag on him the person who found the body would have been able to make a quick phone call and I'd have known what had happened immediately. The second time was an unchipped greyhound. She'd been picked up (unharmed) on a road and taken to a vet who had passed her on to a woman who fostered greyhounds and lurchers. After lots of phone calls to local vets, animal shelters etc I eventually managed to track down where she was and get her back safely. But again, had she been wearing an ID tag none of that hassle would have happened.

And most recently my young busher, having been left alone in the house when I went out with the lurcher on his own, got out of the house by chewing through an old, defunct cat flap. She's chipped, but wasn't wearing a collar with ID. She was picked up by someone just up the road and taken to the local animal shelter. They scanned her and because of the chip were able to phone to say they had her. But it cost £66 to get her back - apparently that fee went to the local council's dog warden service.

When I'm out for a mooch the busher, especially if she's already fired up from getting into plenty of game, could easily bugger off on a red hot line and be gone. So it does worry me that she's not wearing an ID tag. So here's an idea my missus came up with - a collar made of some sort of stretchy elasticated material. Make it exactly to fit the dog, so it fits snugly against the skin without any slack that a branch could easily go through. But if a branch or somesuch ever should go through, because it's elasticated it'll stretch and the dog will be able to pull out of it. Stitch a label with your name and phone number on it so it's wearing ID. Hopefully that might be the best of both worlds. What d'you reckon? Anybody already tried something like this? I think it might work if you could find the right sort of material, but it would need to be something that didn't easily snag on thorns or else every time the dog went through brambles it would catch.

• Like 1

Krawnden not a bad idea to be fair. I have tried similar for when walking in the local spots when it's dark with a high vis stretchy collar I fashioned from an older running armband. Everyone has lasted a few walks at most and been ripped off never to be seen again usually by the little sporting lucas I have. Another reason I wouldn't put on.when working atb