Some one posted this on facebook out of an old book. I all ways fancied trying to make some but most recipes require too many ingredients. But this one used courgettes and runners. Two things I am not short of.

21414066375_e9ed1dbb83_c.jpg

very easy to make and it smelled like piccalilli lol. I halved the recipe just as a tester

20792986293_45965f5134_c.jpg

also knocked up a crumble. Wind fall apples, blackberries and some rhubarb

21387954976_f8cf3dc84c_c.jpg

21228695469_011199e453_c.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The recipe I follow is from Mrs Beeton's everyday cookery. The strange difference is that at no point is there any mention of cooking the vegetable mix at all. Vinegar with the chillis boiled for 3 minutes. Mixing part of the vinegar with the mustard tumeric etc, jarring whilst warm, but ain't no cooking. Works good for me though and have the benefit of growing all the ingredients. Happy days.

• Like 1

The recipe I follow is from Mrs Beeton's everyday cookery. The strange difference is that at no point is there any mention of cooking the vegetable mix at all. Vinegar with the chillis boiled for 3 minutes. Mixing part of the vinegar with the mustard tumeric etc, jarring whilst warm, but ain't no cooking. Works good for me though and have the benefit of growing all the ingredients. Happy days.

Never cook the veg in mine either the pickling softens it up just enough, IMO :yes:

• 3 years later...

Eh up gnipper. It's that time again pal. Piccalilli. If you have the vegetables then life is good. Virtually all the ingredients are there now for the picking except cauliflower (well not round here anyway). Having done my first batch of country chutney I'll get started on the pic and put up some pics and recipes. Jok.

7 hours ago, jok said:

Eh up gnipper. It's that time again pal. Piccalilli. If you have the vegetables then life is good. Virtually all the ingredients are there now for the picking except cauliflower (well not round here anyway). Having done my first batch of country chutney I'll get started on the pic and put up some pics and recipes. Jok.

My cauliflower are ready mate, I've got the veg salting away as I type. I've got cauliflower, courgette, cucumber, onion, shallots and french beans in there. I was thinking of trying a couple of experimental jars too with beetroot or other seasonings?

9 hours ago, gnipper said:

How did your picallili turn out Terry? I've just been searching through for this as I remembered seeing a recipe on here.

It was very tasty but the texture wasn't crispy enough which tallies with what you folks said about not cooking any thing