A Mid Week Trip

Over the summer I bumped into an old boy (Dave) whilst out training the lurcher pup and we got chatting about ferreting. He asked if I fancied giving him a hand this season on some of his permission. Being fairly new to the area I snapped his hand off as my permission is limited. Anyway after a quick 'in the field' job interview he give me the thumbs up and we arranged to get out. This is my dogs first proper season and he's coming along nicely. He's a 15 month saluki collie grew 24"tts. Dave has a border terrier x spaniel that he took on and she is also working well. This was now our second outing and it's great to get out and hear his tales of the good old days but not so great to hear some of his jokes. We never go out for the numbers we just ferret until he has had enough or we get enough for the pot, dogs and ferrets.

Setting up

post-52908-0-32922200-1442244998_thumb.jpg

The waiting game

post-52908-0-73312800-1442245056_thumb.jpg

Waiting for a bolter

post-52908-0-95488700-1442245186_thumb.jpg

Got ya!!!

post-52908-0-13472200-1442245314_thumb.jpg

The end

post-52908-0-06354900-1442245362_thumb.jpg

post-52908-0-20279700-1442245847_thumb.jpg

We often talk about promoting our sport and introducing new or younger people to it.......wouldn't it be great if we were more like Dave. ATB.

• Like 17

Nice write up Geth, can't believe you were skiving off work again mind!! Lol

Dave is an old boy who's done a bit... Including shooting at me and my bro when we were ferreting on his permission as kids... It shit us right up as he fired a shotgun over our heads and told us to clear off.. Lol

Nice write up Geth, can't believe you were skiving off work again mind!! Lol

Dave is an old boy who's done a bit... Including shooting at me and my bro when we were ferreting on his permission as kids... It shit us right up as he fired a shotgun over our heads and told us to clear off.. Lol

Cheers Kev. Never mess with big Dave!!
  • Like 1

Great post these old characters are thin on the ground now unfortunately

I still remember the old poacher Stan who I met whilst bunking off school in the woods close to the school. He let me watch him ferreting and I was hooked and 37yrs later I still love the sport.

I suppose one day all us on hear will be known by the next generation as the OLD BOYS

• Like 2

Age creeps up on ya real quick... :yes:

Sometimes it seems only a moment ago, I was a lean and mean, hunting machine...then, all of a sudden,...I have become a Veteran rabbiter, waiting quietly for that free Bus Pass... :laugh:

xxx11011.jpg

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 4

Age creeps up on ya real quick... :yes:

Sometimes it seems only a moment ago, I was a lean and mean, hunting machine...then, all of a sudden,...I have become a Veteran rabbiter, waiting quietly for that free Bus Pass... :laugh:

xxx11011.jpg

Doesn't it just!!! I applied for mine this week :laugh:

TC

• Like 1