Sign in to follow this  
leo1

Concrete Base

Hi am looking for a bit of advice am in the process of doing my new dog runs but not sure what to mix with concrete , would ballast or concrete aggregate be best?

• Like 1

You can buy premixed ballast in small 25kg bags or half tonne bags or one tonne bags.Just add cement and water.

To calculate amount you need multiply length x width x depth,sq m of concrete.

Merchant can then tell you how much ballast you need.

Hope that helps

Cheers guys, my new runs will be 5.2 x 2.1 m . Will the ballast go solid enough that it's not goin to start flaking or crumbling after a year or two ?

Cheers guys, my new runs will be 5.2 x 2.1 m . Will the ballast go solid enough that it's not goin to start flaking or crumbling after a year or two ?

At 100mm thick, or 4 inch, that size comes out at 1.1 cubic meters, a couple of bulk bags should do it. Get a batten set up so you can give all of it a good troweling up, don't leave any cracks for water to get in or it will break up eventually. 4 and a half black buckets of ballast, to half a bag of cement is a fair mix for paths/runs.

Edited by Truther

Cheers guys , got it screeded at the weekend there put a layer of monoblock then concreted an used the 2 ton of ballast and a hit more and ten bags of cement. Drying out nice should be solid enough